Embarrassment at buying Value items at the suprmarket

(123 Posts)
Bumblequeen Fri 11-Jan-13 18:26:07

I buy in Sainsbury, Asda, Lidl and I only buy the shop's products or value items such as biscuits, sweets and other bits. I somstimes feel embarrassed at the till especially when people in queue have trolleys full of luxury products products working people should be able to afford.

We do not buy red meat as too expensive. Only eat chicken and fish.

Budgeting for food shopping is soul destroying. I love food, preparing, cooking and eating it.

higgle Fri 18-Jan-13 13:14:59

I'm very proud of feeding 4 of us and eating well on our budget. When the trolley behind me has a load of luxury stuff I just look at my veg and value stuff and think I could teach them a thing or two. I am a bit posh though.

goldenslumber Sat 19-Jan-13 02:26:07

No shame. Sometimes buying Value Range is the best way to get the product you really want.

Like horse: otherwise it's a trip across the channel.

MrsDimples Sat 19-Jan-13 02:48:09

Well done you!!

Why spend more than you need to?

The only things I've eaten today that weren't in the reduced section was my breakfast - value oats and Aldi grinded seeds / berry mix.

It's become a hobby in our household. Check out the reduced section as often as possible and stash up the freezer. Last week I got a huge amount of bread rolls reduced. DH works 12 hour shifts, so take a meal and a couple of sandwiches. I got a large variety of different types / topped rolls / subs, not just reduced, but double reduced. A forty eight 'ideal for freezing' roll pack for 74p.

I also keep in my freezer frozen veg you can make cheap dishes out of. Frozen onions may be more expensive than fresh, but peppers, mushrooms, spinach etc aren't. Bung them all in a huge pan with some frozen garlic / garlic & ginger purée , some lentils / mince a can or two of tinned tomatoes & some herbs and you've got several meals for not much money and really healthy too.

Aldi's motto, "Spend a little, live a lot", should be your spiritual guide wink

I hate buying booze anywhere other than Aldi now. Such a waste of money & you're guaranteed quality too. If I pop in another supermarket for a bottle of wine, I'm torn between price & quality. No such dilemma in Aldi.

We have season passes for a theme park. We buy them on offer at half price, go loads, save hundreds of pounds. Exactly the same principle. Hours & hours & hours of fun and happiness and excitement. Not exactly soul destroying, especially when a family paying on the gate prices, pay not much less than us for a whole year. Is that embarrassing? I think not grin

If you love cooking, set yourself a challenge to make the most creative, delicious meals you can for as cheap as possible.

MrsDimples Sat 19-Jan-13 03:19:43

cozietoesie
LIDL do have yellow stickers, MERLYPUSS. (I don't know Aldi well enough to say.) They take a straight 30% off or something.

Aldi do yellow stickers too.
You have to find the spot in the fridge they stash the reduced stuff, it's not a permanent place like in other supermarkets. Post Xmas we got 3 of their cheese board selection packs, complete with cheese board in the reduced section for less than half price of one pack. Cheese freezes wink

OhTheConfusion Mon 21-Jan-13 11:21:29

I had never been to Aldi until I went to a party at my friends parents house. They are sooooo posh and spent the night bragging about the aldi prosecco!

I now love their wine, deli selections, fruit and veg!

If you can get to see a copy, maybe in a local library, yesterday's observer had a food magazxine with meals for a family of 4 for £5, and a review of value items, beans, cheese etc. Waitrose and M&S did well but some other stuff as well.

I'll see if I can link to it, then at least you're buying Value ranges because a national newspaper recommended them as decent tasting, not just because they're cheap. smile sad.

I'll see if I can find it on the Guardian website.

Got them.

This is the Food Magazine supplement with 4 servings for £5 recipes not sure that that's really that cheap but never mind

This is the Economy brand taste test, part 2 is here. Based on these, don't buy very cheap bread.

The Food Blogger Miss South's recipes are fab though.

fuzzpig Sun 27-Jan-13 14:52:47

Am late to this great thread but thought it worth bumping up again smile

I don't judge what people have in their trolleys, because I understand that it's not the full picture. We do our weekly shop online, but occasionally DH and I will think 'fuck it' and I'll nip to the local Sainsburys after work. People there might look in my basket and be hoiking their judgy pants way up because on a 'fuck it' day I will simply be buying a couple of ready meals and a heap of chocolate! But who cares what they think, because they aren't seeing the well balanced delivery that we normally get.

We get plenty of Tesco value stuff, it's nothing to be embarrassed about at all. There's no need to pay more. For example even if I suddenly became rich (ha!) I would still buy value rice because it's perfect!

Our trolley has a mix of brands, store brand and value. I do get a few convenience foods - they are more than worth the extra money for me, because health problems mean I can't waste energy/strength doing things like grating cheese.

Going to have a look at the above link about bread though, as we usually get value range bread...

CwtchesAndCuddles Tue 29-Jan-13 13:14:36

I would be very impressed by your trolly and think you were someone who had more sense than to buy into all the marketing of the big brands!!!!

The shopper in front of you with all the big brands may have a huge overdraft...............

Tryharder Wed 30-Jan-13 17:38:34

grin goldenslumber!

BoffinMum Sat 02-Feb-13 20:06:30

I am a bargain whore. In fact I made friends with certain assistants in Waitrose so I got tip offs when the massive reductions happen. They are also happy to blip my coupons in when I am in extreme couponing mode. Really, if you see it as sport, it's absolutely fine.

BoffinMum Sat 02-Feb-13 20:07:27

You realise the cheap stuff is quite often the same stuff as the expensive stuff in a different package? And made in the same factories with the same ingredients?

duchesse Sat 02-Feb-13 20:12:39

Good grief my trolley very rarely contains anything not reduced or "value". I don't care. I pay £££ less than other people for my shopping.

IDreamedADreamOfSausageRolls Mon 04-Feb-13 21:20:00

I lurk to buy reduced stuff from M&S at the end of the day, then peel the yellow "reduced" stickers off everything as soon as I get out of the shop (if you take them off right away they don't stick). Most of my friends are better off than I am and I often have people to supper when I can't quite afford to go out. I would be so embarrassed if one of my friends looked in the fridge/freezer when I was cooking and saw that everything nice was bought as an end of day markdown!

MakingAnotherList Mon 04-Feb-13 21:37:36

If getting my shopping delivered I will happily add lots of value items.
When shopping in Sainsbury's I always cover any value items or put them in my basket/trolley with the label down.
No idea why. I know it's a bit pathetic.

LouiseFisher Mon 04-Feb-13 21:41:41

It shouldn't matter! Don't think people look in other peoples trolleys anyway! Well I hope not..

yummymumtobe Mon 04-Feb-13 21:59:05

why would you care?! We are not especially on a budget and buy loads of value and reduced stuff. If buying beans and tinned tomatos and pasta etc why would you buy anything other than value? I can never believe it when i see people buy anything other than value beans! Spend money where it makes a difference I say - eg I wouldn't buy value sausages due to meat content or the bread as it's really over processed. I get immense satisfaction from saving money. Often it's the people who HAVE money who buy value stuff II think as they know how not to waste it! On the other hand, people who have less money may spend more because they are aspirational and care what people think!

miggy Mon 04-Feb-13 22:05:26

The only things I cringe at buying are the cheapest nastiest tinned hotdogs that I buy for training the dogs, worry that someone will think I am feeding my children utter crud. Otherwise anything goes smile

BoffinMum Tue 05-Feb-13 09:23:33

Well I spent eight years living with a millionaire and a bigger chaser of supermarket bargains I have never seen! He was positively indecent in his desire to spend as little on groceries as possible. So go ahead and buy the cheap stuff, as everyone will think you are loaded!

BoffinMum Tue 05-Feb-13 09:25:27

But what he saved on groceries he spent on architects ripping him off wink and builders, and antique dealers gringrin

It never occurred to me that there could be anythng wrong with buying 'value' items in the supermarket. It doesn't strike me as something only 'poor people' would do. Does anyone really care if your tinned sweetcorn has a green giant on the label or a white an orange basics one?

piprabbit Tue 05-Feb-13 09:40:51

My DH is one of the people who hovers waiting for the staff to finish putting out the yellow label reduced items. I would feel embarrassed hovering like that. However, all credit to him, it does mean we can afford to have joints of meat that we just couldn't afford otherwise. We've a nice piece of beef in the freezer that was about £13 full price, but he got it for £5.

So I don't judge because I realise there is no point pissing money up the wall just to get a brand when that money could be better spent elsewhere.

HeathRobinson Tue 05-Feb-13 09:41:21

I don't see any shame in buying value products. But I also don't look in other people's trollies. Do people look? confused

Oh, and if you want to buy tinned mushy peas without added colour, the Asda SmartPrice tins at 8p, (8p!) are my recommendation.

VitoCorleone Tue 05-Feb-13 09:43:03

I never look ar anyones shopping.

I also buy mainly Tesco Value stuff. DP once came shopping with me and said "are you not embarrased when people see you have a trolly full if value range?" and i told him i really couldnt care less, if people judge then thats their problem, we cant all afford a trolly full of named brands.

VitoCorleone Tue 05-Feb-13 09:50:02

Just to add, i used to work at McVities, they make all the value biscuits too, exactly the same as their own brand, you only pay more for the advertising and packaging.

I remember packing fancy bourbons, then we changed wrappers to value ones and still packed the exact same biscuits

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now