Judicious January - Long may the credit crunching continue

(731 Posts)
roguepixie Tue 01-Jan-13 12:03:15

So, the credit crunching team are into Year 2013. Happy New Year everyone.

Let's continue our cost-cutting, , money saving,penny and pound pinching, NSD ways.

northender Thu 31-Jan-13 16:44:25

Well done 1st, those are good savings.
Glad you're feeling better cremeEgg.
Good luck at the bingo Leilandri
I've had quite a good week and even a NSD yesterday! The car is back from the garage now and working at the moment. They are 90% sure they have fixed the problem but have no way of knowing for sure so please cross your fingers for me ladies. Still he has not charged us anything yet as he wants to make sure it is fixed and only time will tell. There are still good people around smile.
I've ordered 300 blush photos from snapfish but have managed to use a discount code and also had a discount relating to a present that didn't arrive in time for xmas so 300 pics for £17 inc delivery.
I also had problems with a Vertbaudet order before xmas and spent £12 on a phonecall to their customer services dept. Obviously I complained grin and have ended up with a £20 credit so I'm trying to figure out the best value I can get from that.

I also wanted to say what a fantastic thread this truly is, thanks to you all. It has got me so motivated. I came on it because we have money on credit cards we need to pay off at the end of the year to avoid incurring any interest. However what it has done, in combination with logging all our expenditure, is alert me to the fact that we have been spending too much. I've now devised a budget for this year but another for beyond that once all credit cards are paid off. We have done lots of work on the inside of our house but still have stuff to do on the outside and we will need a new car (hopefully not til next year!). To be able to do all that and build up some savings this needs to be a long term thing.

Phew, sorry for the long post grin

Helenagrace Thu 31-Jan-13 16:49:26

Did my monthly Aldi mega shop - £205!!!

In my defence that is all my packets, tins, jars, drinks, cereals, toiletries, cleaning products, school snacks and juices, baking flour and sugar and bread-making stuff. I also got my fruit and veg for the week and a chicken for Sunday (there was a 30% voucher in the paper for it).

I got a mirror voucher this morning. When I was half way round the store I realised I wouldn't get everything in my trolley so I paid for one trolley load, used my voucher and took it back to the car. On my way back to the store I spotted a newsagents across the road so I popped over and picked up another mirror. I used that voucher with my second trolley load. So I ended up with £10 off!

CremeEggThief Thu 31-Jan-13 18:16:51

Helena, I like your style! grin

Leilandri Thu 31-Jan-13 21:48:46

Wow helena that is some going in Aldi! My monthly shop usually comes in around £130 including all of the above and nappies. Admittedly I never let my cupboards get too bare. I am running everything down in Feb to the bare bones, so I expect my end of Feb shop will be matching that! Well done on using 2 vouchers. Good thinking ;)

Didn't win a bean at Bingo tonight sad Went with a group of Mummies - 1 won £10, 1 won £60 and 1 won £80. Will have to steal their good luck for next time!

Leilandri Thu 31-Jan-13 21:50:09

Are we starting a February Thread, or are we all going to pile over to the Frugal Feb thread that someone else started?

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 01-Feb-13 07:13:57

I don't know, it keeps the forum looking tidy if we go over to mrs Deveres thread.

I haven't gone before because it wasn't February.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now