Judicious January - Long may the credit crunching continue

(731 Posts)
roguepixie Tue 01-Jan-13 12:03:15

So, the credit crunching team are into Year 2013. Happy New Year everyone.

Let's continue our cost-cutting, , money saving,penny and pound pinching, NSD ways.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 22-Jan-13 17:35:18

storm - that is a good deal for buildings and contents!
I don't know about deals with Virgin, we recently got Sky to knock over 20% off our monthly bill because we threatened to leave. We have the full package of TV and HD for £52 a month now. It sounds a lot, but we so rarely go out because of the cost of babysitters, and we do watch the sport and movies regularly so for us it is a good deal.

jen it is hard isn't it? We have CC repayments and it is such a PITA - all our own DHs fault though! We do keep cash though, because of DH being self-employed. It is no good having no debt but no cash and losing the house because we can't pay the mortgage... We will get there.

economy - I hope economyBaby comes soon, those last couple of weeks when you've got SPD and a toddler are the absolutely worst bit. Yes having a newborn is hard, but at least you can walk and lie down properly in your own bed!

I spent £43 in Sainsbury's in the end!
£15 of that was snow boots for DS2 (jen he needed new wellies anyway so not much in it) - they are fab because they open right up and you do them up with three velcros so there is room to have extra socks and to tuck their trousers in. DS2 is somewhat chunky of leg so we can never get his trousers inside normal wellies grin
Then I got a reduced beef slow roasting joint, and also a kilo piece of gammon for only £5. Milk, fruit, veg, bread and crumpets, fish fingers and frozen pizza.

We are away at the weekend down at my Mum's, and I'm not going to do a big shop for the week. We have got enough things in the freezer to last for dinners so I only need stuff for lunches plus fruit and veg and milk - and that takes us up to payday.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 22-Jan-13 19:10:11

Blimey, our contents insurance is coming up as £50 a year on go compare.

It's always worth a punt with Virgin, you can always say you have to check with your husband and not go through with it.

Thatsinteresting Tue 22-Jan-13 19:31:08

Wow, a lot has been going on. Congratulations with interviews, babies, nsds and insurance policies. I thought we were doing alright this month but I'm sure my washing machine is going to stop working any day now :-( It makes freezing breadcrumbs feel a it pointless!

Storm- have a look at Ovo for your energy. They are quite a small company but you can get green or part green energy from them. They are easily the cheapest supplier I've ever had. You can give them meter readings whenever you want so you know your bill is always right AND if you are in credit with them they pay you 3% interest! I've been with them about 3 years.

Leilandri Tue 22-Jan-13 20:15:16

storm another possibility for energy is Utility Warehouse. They don't advertise, and rely on word of mouth, and then pass those savings onto customers. Slashed my bill from £190 per month to £97 per month grin

Spent £6.49 today on a few bits (milk, bread, bananas, apples, cola, cheese) will have enough now to last til payday on Friday. Just aswell as I now have the grand sum of 1p in my purse!! shock

I have gone through my cupboards and freezer and I have meal planned for the entire of February. I am aiming to spend no more than £100 for the whole month on food, by just supplementing what we have already. Will be a huge help to our debt repaying if I can achieve this...

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 22-Jan-13 20:25:24

Leilandri, you should do the grocery challenge on mse, you'd be really good on there.

Thatsinteresting, little savings add up to big savings long term, I'm sure the family take the piss out of me behind my back but I don't care because I think long term I will have less debt than them and more savings.

HearMyRoar Tue 22-Jan-13 20:40:47

You've reminded me that i really need to sort out all our utilities. I could save loads just by making a few phone calls. Just need to make the time!

Spent £1.09 on some cup a soups for lunch at work.

SoftKittyWarmKitty Tue 22-Jan-13 20:48:05

I spent just under £5 today in Tesco on cheese (2 for £3), bread and fromage frais. I'm just about to order a home blood pressure monitor online as I've been advised to get one by the docs to monitor it at home - I have kidney disease and my BP is a bit high at the moment and it needs to be watched. That will cost me about £15, as Lloyds Chemist have some on offer (reduced from over £40 so quite a bargain, as blood pressure monitors go!).

Am at work for the rest of the week so planning on some NSDs over the next few days.

Thatsinteresting Tue 22-Jan-13 22:16:56

Fluffy- I know my family take the piss out of us. Every time I speak to my Dad he offers to send a food parcel. We don't have any debt though apart from our mortgage and careful living means I can stay at home fir a few years.

Leilandri- I like the idea of using everything in the cupboards. We've already eaten a lot of stuff from the freezer this month though so I'm not sure we could manage on £100 but I'm going to give it some thought.

AdoraBell Wed 23-Jan-13 01:26:45

OH's family are a bunch of piss takers too, and to add insult to injury they are geniune tight fisted bastards too. There's a difference between trying not to waste money and trying to free load, the latter being their specialityangry

Anyway, today I spent £50 in the supermarket, lots of food and some cleaning products. DDs have done a Stirling job of over feeding me today, pasta with a Greek salad for lunch, with a choc muffin & ice cream pudding. Dinner was fish cakes made from scratch, chips and sweetcorn followed by homemade cheesecake. If I don't post tomorrow it's because I'm struggling under the sheer weight of calories.

SoftKitty that is a good deal on the BP monitor.

Helenagrace Wed 23-Jan-13 08:11:39

Hope you don't expire through over feeding Adora. Sounds yummy though!

My inlaws freeload a bit but I think it's more that they genuinely don't realise how much things cost. They were shocked that our mortgage was £800 a month. They thought we were being frivolous. They have no concept of how much more expensive houses are. Or anything else for that matter. FIL asked about DH's season ticket. DH said it was £250 a month and FIL said "we'll can't you not travel first class?"! Erm that's not first class and appears to be optional seating at times!! They're just out of touch. I suspect they'll leave everything to charity. It's their choice but I definitely know that they haven't worked out it's going to cost around £250k to put their 7 grandchildren through universities. They could really help out with that but instead I'm sure we'll have a nice plaque in a church extension to go and look at!

Anyhow NSD yesterday, hopefully today too. Tax bill £200 less than we budgeted for and I'm getting a £2.97 rebate (I don't think I'm going to spend it all at once lol).

Interview tomorrow eek!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 23-Jan-13 09:21:07

Helena that would piss me off!

DH's parents are spendthrifts all round, money goes through their hands like water and none of it ever comes this way!

My parents have always earned well, but also been careful and they do appreciate that they have had it fairly good with pensions and so on. They are leaving a life insurance policy to run so that even if all their assets get wiped on care home fees, we will get a big lump sum when they eventually shuffle off grin
I know they also plan to help out with university costs, and they let us use their holiday home for free so we can have a cheap foreign holiday every year even if we are too skint for anything else!
I am very lucky!!

A NSD today I think, DS1's school is opening late so i'm just off to take him and then DS2 and I will just come straight home and snuggle up - it is bloody freezing here and very snowy.

DH has just looked further into what we can claim as expenses through the business, and we've realised that all the time he was cycling in the spring and summer he could have been claiming £3 a day! That adds up to quite a lot that can be offset against our tax bill, so I'm going to get him to e-mail the details to the accountant later and we can have that little bit back from HMRC!

Helenagrace Wed 23-Jan-13 11:47:36

Ate you putting mobiles through the business?

Also Internet, phone, use if house if you do any work there, £5 for any night away from home. It really adds up!

Not an NSD after all as I needed bread.

AdoraBell Wed 23-Jan-13 13:37:52

Helena I don't need any breakfast, at this rate I'm not sure I'll need lunch either!

Spending a little on vast amounts of coffee while DDs do volley ball. Will update later.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 23-Jan-13 16:15:33

What I don't get with Dh's family is moaning about not being able to pay bills but then showing off new iPhone 5s which are "only £45 a month", But they have one each. I think it's a lack of insight which I find baffling, and annoying.

Ali, you can claim for washing a uniform if its something you can't wear out of work. I buy things as cheaply as I can as well, I know some people have the attitude of "oh well I can offset it" but the money is still being spent and you only claim 20 or 40% back.

Raiding the change jar later for the self serve tills so I can buy bird seed and cat food.

1stMrsFrugal Wed 23-Jan-13 17:07:45

They offered me the job! Bit overwhelmed as it's all happened quite fast, and it's full time which is going to be a bit shock after being SAHM for 4 years. But thank goodness, some money coming in at last.

Sorry for not catching up with other news, lots to plan!

CremeEggThief Wed 23-Jan-13 17:16:35

Fantastic news, MrsF smile. wine

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 23-Jan-13 17:26:05

Brilliant news! When's the start date?

Helenagrace Wed 23-Jan-13 19:08:57

Well done mrsfrugal!! Hope this is a good omen for my interview tomorrow!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 23-Jan-13 19:20:32

We can only claim one mobile, and the rules are very tight so we don't because it would only save us about £4-5 a month in tax and it doesn't seem worth getting tripped up for it.
Ditto with work clothes, we can't claim it.
The rules are different for different kinds of businesses, and HMRC are seemingly a bit sniffy about IT contractors!

Not a NSD after all, as night nappies were needed. £8 spent.

HearMyRoar Wed 23-Jan-13 19:25:36

Congratulations Mrsf ! I'm so pleased for you. Super exciting grin

I spent a bit more then planned today. £15 in health food shop, £6 fruit and veg, £6 in the pound shop, £6 on tupperware, £3 in sainsbury's. So around £36.

jenduck Wed 23-Jan-13 19:28:43

Well done MrsFrugal That tough interview was worth it! Treat yourself with a wine tonight

Fluffy I totally understand what you're saying. Had a very frustrating debate with a family member, in a bad financial way, yesterday as to why they 'need' 2 cars bought new and would not benefit from selling one for £4.5k, as they couldn't get anything reliable for less than that. Umm, our car was £1.4k, we've had it for 2 years & in that time it has only cost us for things that go on all cars - tyres, handbrake, light bulbs - to a total tune of maybe 1k. Their car worth £4.5k has just cost them £500 on the brakes, this despite being 6 years newer than our car! Rant over

Today was practically an NSD. Spent 40p for Edward Bear fees, 35p in charity shop for car for DS1. Tomorrow will get MOT retest done, so will wait at McD's, but have complete card for free coffee & will take drinks for DSes. Also hope to visit DGrandad, so will be £3 parking (min. charge for 15 mins- 3 hours hmm). Will nip into Sainsbug's as is by MOT place & have £3 of £20 voucher so will stock up on cat food, tinned toms, potatoes.

jenduck Wed 23-Jan-13 19:28:59

off not of blush

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 23-Jan-13 19:29:32

Good luck for tomorrow Helenagrace.

Leilandri Wed 23-Jan-13 19:48:14

Congrats MrsF such a shock to the system going back to work after being a SAHM for a period of time, but so nice to have money coming in smile

NSD today.

DH negotiated with his managed loan company today and shaved £20 a month off his repayments. Will mean paying for longer, but will ease the burden this year. Hopefully will be able to increase payments next year.

Sky are next on my hitlist, and Vodafone. DH is reluctant to change mobile companies as he has been with Vodafone for over 10 years. We have a shared contract, with 2 handsets (both smart phones but not top of the range) unlimited calls and texts, and a high MB limit, but still costs us over £60 a month shock He seems to think that this is ok, but I think it's a rip off!!!

Also does anyone know if you can get a broadband and line rental package without having to pay anything for calls? We don't even own a home phone, so I begrudge paying for a service that we are never going to use?

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 23-Jan-13 19:59:36

We have two talk mobile phones, they use vodafones network, for £15 for both. We have loads of minutes and texts and 500mb of data.

I got £60 cashback from topcashback.

I think primus might do phone and broadband cheap but they don't get great reviews. Have you rung sky? You might not have to change at all. Sky let you buy 12 months line rental for £10ish a month according to moneysavingexpert, but they don't advertise it. But if you do it with BT it ties you in so if you leave you don't get it refunded.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now