Curiosity killed the cat: Can heavy exercise cause failed implantation?

(6 Posts)
RaRaZ Mon 09-Sep-13 14:42:09

Just curious as per title. Can you joggle it out, so to speak? Sorry for the horribly insensitive phrasing, but I can't think of another way to put it hmm

flowersinavase Mon 09-Sep-13 15:10:57

I've only ever understood heavy exercise to negatively affect ttc in how it can delay/prevent ovulation through causing too low body fat for ovulation and other hormone imbalances (exercise releases cortisol which acts counter to the fertility hormones).

So I guess exercise can affect implantation in a roundabout way: if it prevents an adequate uterine lining developing through putting your hormones off balance. But I highly doubt it could shake it out of place.

moggle Mon 09-Sep-13 21:45:57

The uterus isn't a hollow organ, it is like a shrivelled collapsed little tube thing until you get pregnant and then it expands as it fills with amniotic fluid and, well, a baby. So it isn't like the egg is rolling around like a ping pong ball inside, erm, how about an inflated balloon, does that work?! More like one of those polystyrene balls from a bean bag, inside a used condom.... Wow I should be a writer.
Basically I don't think it's possible but if it did happen, surely there's no way that particular egg would've made it into an embryo if it was that fragile.

grants1000 Mon 09-Sep-13 22:06:33

I read about a female parachutist whose shut did not open properly and she slammed into a tree and in hospital she discovered she was pregnant, despite her broken bone she went on to have a healthy baby. This just proves how protected it is!

imip Mon 09-Sep-13 22:16:32

I was training for marathons while ttc. My consultant who was treating me for infertility categorically stated that running 50 or so kilometres a week would not impact my fertility. Turns out I was getting pregnant but miscarrying very early due to a polyp in my uterus, was to allowing the embryo to attach to my womb.

akuabadoll Tue 10-Sep-13 09:31:17

It's like a mustard seed in a jam sandwich, is what I was told by passing looney suggesting joggling it out would be very difficult.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now