Absent AF, screwed up ovulation, luteal phase defects? Sign in for the all new ttc while breastfeeding thread! BFPs guaranteed!

(1000 Posts)
MrsHuxtable Wed 20-Feb-13 23:28:46

As if ttc wasn't nerve wrecking enough, we like the extra challenge of getting that BFP while still breastfeeding a baby or toddler. While this isn't an easy endouvour, it certainly isn't impossible as many graduates on the previous threads prove.

I'm posting a link here for any newcomers about fertility while breastfeeding.

kellymom.com/bf/normal/fertility/

Am also wonderig if you'd like to have some sort of stats for the tread members. I'll just start myself.

MrsHuxtable, 29, ttc#2 from April, on pp cycle 4, luteal phase defect

Wildwaterfalls Sat 11-May-13 13:57:29

Welcome count and eggs! Eggs - can I ask how much your DD bf now? Our DDs are the same age but although mine now bf only 4 times in a 24 hour period, no sign of AF.

Jakey - I know what you mean about reminding ourselves how lucky we are - so true!

eggsnbeans Sat 11-May-13 22:24:05

Thanks for the welcome wild smile DD is feeding 6-7 times a day, only has the occassional night feed though. She is a pretty quick feeder though, only more than 6 mins if my supply is down a bit and she has both sides. I have read that the total time spent sucking is more important than the frequency in terms of inhibiting ovulation, with 60 mins/day being the magic number on average. But don't really know if it's true!

Wildwaterfalls Sun 12-May-13 20:00:08

Oh wow thanks eggs - can't believe it never occurred to me that feed length, rather than frequency, might be the issue! I was struggling to see which feed I could drop, but shortening the evening/night ones in particular seems more achievable I'm usually so tired I just kind of sit there snoozing for ages while she eats smile

PhilPhil Sun 12-May-13 22:08:38

gosh, I didn't think about feed length either - but I'm sure dd usually feeds much less than 60mins a day and no AF here yet... when I was feeding ds it arrived when he was about 14months - he was only having 2 feeds a day at that point.

BettyStogs Mon 13-May-13 21:15:15

Hello all, and congrats Agenda!

Just popping in to say that sadly I will be leaving this thread. With DS just turned 20mo, no sign of AF,and my 39th birthday just around the corner I have made the difficult decision to stop bf. Not entirely sure how I'm going to do that, but that's for another thread.

Thanks to everyone for the support and I hope that there will be BFPs for you all very soon - I may pop in from time to time to check!

MrsHuxtable Tue 14-May-13 15:45:30

Massive news here! Am on CD32 and just got a BFP!

I did a Clearblue digital and a cheap Amazon test 2 days ago and both were negativ. Yesterday at work I ate a crisp sandwich. The only other time I ate one was the week before I found out I was pregnant with DD so did another 2 cheap test this morning an got a very faint line. Went and bought another Digital and there it was: Pregnant 1-2 weeks. am now massively apprehensive about chemical pregnancy etc as I have no idea how early I got my result. No idea of cycle length.

Wildwaterfalls Tue 14-May-13 18:21:29

Wow that is huge news MrsHux! Big congratulations grin! Have you told anyone yet?!

May I be so rude bold to ask you for a brief overview of your bf history, ie when did AF return, how long after that is this BFP, have you made any bf changes that helped? Just to get an idea of what I am dealing with here smile

Sorry to hear you're leaving Betty. I hope stopping bf goes well for you and DC.

MrsHuxtable Tue 14-May-13 19:10:12

No problem Waterfalls!

DH knows now as do my 2 best friends and one of my sisters. I'm not good at keeping a secret but that's it for now as I will have to keep the news quiet at work til August at least.

AF returned when DD was 10 months old, she's now 15 months. There was no logic to it, she didn't feed any less that month than she did the others. We co-sleep and she still wakes 3-4 times at night to feed.Also feeds during the day, 2-3 times. I had a short luteal phase of only 4-5 days for at least the first 4 cycles, after that I stopped paying attention as it was getting me down. This cycle that got me the BFP was my 7th cycle postpartum I think and I didn't change any breastfeeding behaviours. That said, it was also the first month we were ttc so I have no idea if I would have been able to get pregnant earlier had we tried. I just assumed there was no chance because of the luteal phase defect. I started taking Vit B6 a few months ago, first 50mg and then 2 months ago, I started taking 100mg. That was also when I got frustrated and gave up paying attention to my cycle. So the 100mg Vit B6 might have increased my LP to a viable length.

I'm taking all of this with a pinch of salt as I'm a pessimist and fully expect this pregnancy not to work out, sooner rather than later.

Feel free to ask me anything specific you might be wondering!

MrsHuxtable Tue 14-May-13 20:21:34

Sorry, DD was 9 months when AF returned.

WouldBeHarrietVane Tue 14-May-13 21:27:36

Advice needed please ladies!

DS is 22 months and still bf. I have pcos and an underactive thyroid and even before having DS I had very irregular cycles and usually only around 6 per year (average cycle length 40 days).

I haven't had any AF since having DS and have been slowly cutting down bf to try to get AF to return.

Still feeding before/after naps and last thing/first thing, though.

Now tonight I have EWCM smile trying not to get too excited, but does this mean AF is coming back???

Wildwaterfalls Tue 14-May-13 21:27:42

Thanks MrsHux that is all so encouraging. DD is 8.5 months and s bf much more during evening/night than during the day. So good to know I may not have to give that up for AF to come back.

I am so excited for you. First month of ttc as well! Lovely to have the DCs quite close together in age. Hope you'll keep us posted, and perhaps there is a bf while pregnant thread somewhere as well you can now join! smile

WouldBeHarrietVane Tue 14-May-13 21:30:15

Reading back through the thread - congratulations mrs huxtable grin

eggsnbeans Wed 15-May-13 02:37:58

Huge Congrats MrsH! Awesome news, and 1st month ttc too! grin Hope you're not feeling too nauseous bf!

MrsHuxtable Wed 15-May-13 10:19:32

WouldBeHarriet, I'd dtd whenever there is any fertile mucus. You might catch your first egg. That said, the months because AF came back for me, I also noticed EWCM and then, a few days later, there was a tiny amount of blood on the toilet paper when I wiped. So it might very well be your body gearing up for proper cycles.

God, I hope that the theory is true that breastfeeding reduced morning sickness. I had Hyperemesis last time, for 9 bloody months!!!!! So going through that again, plus having a breastfeeding toddler and studying and having a new job fills me with dread!

MrsHuxtable Wed 22-May-13 16:28:54

Hello, how is everyone doing?

It's gone really quiet on here. Was hoping to stick around with you ladies for quite some time as I don't really feel confident to properly join a pregnancy thread yet. Pregnancy calender says I should be 5+4 today but I think I'm a few days behind that at least, maybe even a week due to late breastfeeding ovulation. God knows. I don't really have any symptoms yet, other than being more tired which makes me very nervous. Either this isn't a viable pregnancy or it's too early for symptoms or I'm lucky this time and am escaping the Hyperemesis. Should my boobs not be sore by now?

MrsHuxtable Wed 22-May-13 20:16:37

Have I killed the thread?

jennimoo Wed 22-May-13 20:50:10

I'm still lurking, great news Mrs H!

Sorry you're still struggling, jakey, have been thinking of you and was really hoping when I found this new thread last week that you'd got your BFP sad

26 weeks here, DD quit the mummy milk around 8 weeks but is still obsessed with my boobs!

MrsHuxtable Wed 22-May-13 21:05:29

Jennimoo, how much was your DD feeding before you got pregnant? And how old is she again?

jennimoo Wed 22-May-13 21:23:43

DD is 2.8 now, and when I got pg was feeding loads still. Once I was pg she seemed to lose interest and went down to a feed in the morning and evening so I told her it ran out and she was perfectly happy to accept that. It was a little sad she stopped but I'm so glad it turned out to be so simple. She knows her baby brother is going to be drinking mummy milk though, but I don't think she can latch any more so I should be safe from her starting again!

justhayley Wed 22-May-13 21:58:08

Hiya just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.
Just discovered this thread grin so need to read all 200 posts to catch up.

Im Hayley 29. I have 1 DS 13months & breastfed.
Just started to properly TTC#2.
AF has returned - when DS was 4 months but is irregular.

My conception problems

1) I'm breastfeeding (a lot)
2) Was told when pregnant I have PCOS
3) periods are irregular
4) DP is in the Military & only home at the weekends

This month we managed to have unprotected sex 3 times within my fertile period. It's the first Month we've managed this.
Weve been having unprotected sex for 2/3 months but never seem to be able to catch my fertile period.

AF is due today and so far nothing - although not getting excite as periods are so irregular. Think I'll give it 2/3 weeks and if it hasn't arrived I'll test.

Wish me luck grin
Xxx

WouldBeHarrietVane Thu 23-May-13 00:21:37

Hi Hayley - good luck with hopefully getting your bfp fast! Very jealous that your AF has come back envy

I'm 38 and have had no AF since DS was born 22 months ago. I had wanted to let him wean naturally and really want to continue bf, but am cutting a few bf out slowly to try to get my cycle back.

Now down to the following feeds:

- on waking
- going down for nap
- on sleeping (and wakes 2 hours after thAt for a feed).

One day a week I'm not around in the afternoon, so I don't do the nap feed.

Current plan is to:

- start cutting out the early morning feed from Saturday morning.
- a week later get DH (working from home at the mo) to start doing the naps on the days I work from home so that on all 3 days I work I will only be feeding twice.

After that, I'm going to wait until he's 2 to see if AF comes back. If it doesn't then I will consider dropping more.

Please keep your fingers crossed for me.

Wildwaterfalls Thu 23-May-13 20:09:06

Hi Hayley and Harriet, and welcome smile. Good luck too, Hayley with testing soon hopefully, and Harriet with dropping feeds. It's hard isn't it!

Still no AF here (recap: I'm 33, DD1 is 9 months) although I did feel an ovulation type pain a couple if days ago. Hope I didn't imagine it.

We're also going to start dropping some feeds we think - nights first hopefully, and ultimately down to morning and evening only. It won't be easy but we've found a bottle she's happy with so will do mixed feeding.

justhayley Fri 24-May-13 13:31:46

Hiya thanks for the welcome. Period is now 2 days late smile Trying not to think about it, really don't want it to come this month. don't want to get all excited and it's just late again. It's regularly 2/3 weeks late so 2 days is nothing.
I'm not aware when I Ovulate, apart from those little tests how do I know?
At the moment I'm going by an iPhone app - although don't quite know how reliable they are.

justhayley Fri 24-May-13 13:32:26

Hiya thanks for the welcome. Period is now 2 days late smile Trying not to think about it, really don't want it to come this month. don't want to get all excited and it's just late again. It's regularly 2/3 weeks late so 2 days is nothing.
I'm not aware when I Ovulate, apart from those little tests how do I know?
At the moment I'm going by an iPhone app - although don't quite know how reliable they are.

WouldBeHarrietVane Fri 24-May-13 21:21:21

Hayley, have you read taking charge of your fertility by Toni weschler? That's got loads of useful info in about working out when you ov. I used charting to get pg with DS and found observing cervical fluids really reliable - sorry if tmi blush I know people say its not quite as easy when you are still bf, though!

I am going to drop another feed tomorrow (the morning one) as I'm dropping one every ten days or so. The problem is that as fast as I'm dropping them I think new ones are popping up smile

From tomorrow DS will be feeding:

- Before he goes down for his nap
- Before bed
- 2 hours after going to sleep

The thing is that I realised today he actually drops off for his feed latched on, while I read next to him but then stats latched and also starts sucking again during his nap sometimes. So in effect some days that will still be 4 feeds shock

No wonder my AF hasn't come back yet!!

After the morning feed has been gone a week I am going to get DH to do 3 naps a week on the day he is home, so for 3 days a week there should only be 2 feeds a day.

This thread is not accepting new messages.