Absent AF, screwed up ovulation, luteal phase defects? Sign in for the all new ttc while breastfeeding thread! BFPs guaranteed!

(1000 Posts)
MrsHuxtable Wed 20-Feb-13 23:28:46

As if ttc wasn't nerve wrecking enough, we like the extra challenge of getting that BFP while still breastfeeding a baby or toddler. While this isn't an easy endouvour, it certainly isn't impossible as many graduates on the previous threads prove.

I'm posting a link here for any newcomers about fertility while breastfeeding.

kellymom.com/bf/normal/fertility/

Am also wonderig if you'd like to have some sort of stats for the tread members. I'll just start myself.

MrsHuxtable, 29, ttc#2 from April, on pp cycle 4, luteal phase defect

lelly78 Tue 19-Nov-13 21:17:30

How old is your lo eek?

BlackberrySeason Tue 19-Nov-13 23:32:00

Not, you will probably find temping becomes strangely addictive! It has really reassured me because I can see a clear thermal shift that shows I've ov and also my temps stay up after ov, suggesting there is no luteal phase problem. I will hope you catch that first egg smile I guess just swi when you are seeing ewcm is the order of the day?

Lelly, I can't remember when to temp with broken sleep, but Fertility Friend or the TCOYF book will definitely have the answer. Looking forward to hearing about your charts smile

Eko I totally remember hoping every day to see AF - one day soon it will happen! It is not completely right about those minimum gaps to get fertility back - Kellymom and LLL emphasise that it will be different for every mother and baby pair - my AF came back as soon as I cut the midday feed out and there was a gap of 7 am to 7 pm with no bm. The cutting down you are doing will help and I hope you all feel better now.

Waves to Mister!

Is anyone up for doing a sort of occasional stats roll call so we can keep track of who is where with TTC?

Something like this:

TTC

BlackberrySeason 1 DS aged 2, on cycle 4 of AF post DS. DS day-weaned but bf all 3-4 times per night. Aged 39 so need to get a move on! Currently in the 2ww.

Recent graduates with bfps!

Wild smile
Eggs smile

If you want to add yours, please do - if you don't like the idea then please ignore! Or feel free to suggest something different for what should be in any stats we do!

lelly78 Wed 20-Nov-13 06:16:40

I like!

Lelly, cycle 3 with 11 month old DS, ttc #2 ASAP! Night weaned but fed am, afternoon and pm. Currently in 2ww...

NotInYourNature Wed 20-Nov-13 09:12:44

NotInYourNature cycle 0 with 8 month old (nearly 9), Night weaned bf 5-6 times a day. 28 in constant 2ww

NotInYourNature Wed 20-Nov-13 09:14:40

Ok so tell me about temping. do i have to do it as soon as i wake up or do i wait a hour or what do i do? i woke up this morning and forgot then an hour later ran down to do it to find my thermometer wasn't working :O

MisterSafetyCatchIsNotOn Wed 20-Nov-13 11:14:51

Hmm, just did a post but it's not showing so will try again.

MisterSafety, cycle 2 after 16 month old ds, bf 3 x per day until 2weeks ago but currently going through a (maybe permanent?) nursing strike so expressing am & pm, due to ov later this week.

Not you need to do the temp as soon as you wake up, it's basal temp so once you get up and start rushing around it goes up and you won't get an accurate picture! Should also have a thermometer that shows 2 decimal places.

Lelly I think you're supposed to have at least 4 hours uninterrupted sleep before temping so might have to be 4am! I used to keep a thermometer and notebook on the bedside table so I could do it straight away without having to get out of bed <lazy>

NotInYourNature Wed 20-Nov-13 13:35:19

I shall invest in a new thermometer and test before i get DS in the morning.Thank you MisterSafety

Wildwaterfalls Wed 20-Nov-13 20:13:00

Just thought I'd report for anyone interested that we've now fully weaned at 17 weeks pg hmm

A bit sad about it but it went very naturally, we were down to morning feeds only and DD (now 15 months) just hasn't been interested - playing, biting, laughing but not feeding. Not sure if it's the infamous drop in supply / change in taste associated with mid-pg, or whether she was just ready to stop. Now a 5 month 'break' before the bf starts again!

Following this thread closely, hopefully lots of BFPs very soon.

eggsnbeans Wed 20-Nov-13 21:33:33

Hi all thought I'd drop in and say hi smile

So sorry to hear about your DH's job Blackberry sad Totally sucks that they can do that without any reason sad

Hi to all new people smile and sebs (if you're still reading)
Lelly, I always found temping a much more accurate way to track my cycles too, especially when they were really long and variable before I had DD. Once you've got the hang of it you can just temp around your fertile period and long enough to confirm ov too, which makes it really easy! Never had any success with ov sticks though!

Not to put anyone off, but being pg with a toddler is 100x more tiring than the 1st time round! Doesn't help that DD is going through a particularly moany phase I have contemplated leaving her outside the hospital with 'free to a good home' round her neck more than once! and I think the last time we had an uninterrupted night was about 5 months ago shock And DH isn't coping well at all!!! We are still BF, although only in the mornings now as my milk supply plumetted before I even got a bfp and nothing seemed to help increase it again. I am really not enjoying BF either, I'm hoping it's just some hormonal thing, but DD is horrible in the morning until she's had a suck on my dry boobs! LC said colostrum starts coming in around 16 weeks, so FX it might improve yet! I had planned on going to about 30 weeks, but may can it at 20 yet confused. Doesn't help that DD has stopped unlatching before she pulls away! I just about threw her across the room this morning when she bit down on my sensitive pg nipple as she pulled off!

Whoops that wasn't supossed to be all doom and gloom hmm I'm just waiting for the 2nd trimester energy boost to hit grin Or maybe i just need to move out for a few days to catch up on some sleep wink On a plus note, DD has face planted twice in the past month and succeeded in splitting most of her lip tie, so at least BF is now nowhere near as painful! grin

Anyway, love and BFPs to you all, FX for you on Sat blackberry smile

lelly78 Wed 20-Nov-13 22:05:59

How old is DD eggs?

You are not exactly filling me with excitement... shock!

catellington Thu 21-Nov-13 07:52:39

Eggs it's great to hear how from you and how things are going (sort of!) I'm glad you are still able to add some smileys to your roller coaster post!

Here is my stats roll

Catellington, one DD age 9 months, on cycle 3, DD normally feeds 7.30am, 4.30pm, 6.30pm and a couple of times (I think) during the night. Age 33 so need to get a move on if I want to have 4. Currently on day 14, don't think I have ovulated yet.

lelly78 Thu 21-Nov-13 21:59:57

Well whether I ov'd or not, I got af today... 20 day cycle... Oh crap angry

Am buying a thermometer and a copy of tcoyf tomorrow!

eggsnbeans Fri 22-Nov-13 07:27:07

My DD is almost 15 months Lelly! She is quite strong willed, so hopefully not a typical model hopefully! wink

I didn't know you were planning on 4 DCs Cat! Me too shock and I'm just about 33 too smile No idea why, just seems like a good number confused I do the whole pregnancy bit much better than putting up with whinging children though grin

catellington Fri 22-Nov-13 11:45:39

I like the idea of a chaotic busy home - not sure if I will like the reality!! But really love having DD and so does dh so want to have the option of having a large brood.

I am not a fan of pregnancy, was happier with baby out, but I think first time was hard because of moving and renovating house and working silly hours in my old job. So maybe won't be as bad next time (although have noted what you say about pg with a toddler in tow!)

Good luck and keep lurking and popping in to give us hope!

KokoLoko Sat 23-Nov-13 23:21:28

Hi everyone!

Sorry it's been a while, had a bit of a run of it here! I was away for a week with the boys, then DH was away for a week with friends, then we all got really ill and then DH went away with work. I worked out for the last 5 weeks we've only managed to DTD once per week, not going to get pg at this rate!

DS2 is now 15 months and growing his molars so super grotty with teething. He's feeding even more often and chewing on me too. The other day I was actually in tears I was in so much pain sad He's not really feeding properly, just playing, chewing, looking round etc but he's not willing to give it up. If anyone has any tips about the biting/playing around I'd be very grateful! Thank you.

Still no sign of AF yet and absolutely no signs of ov either. I've just ordered another 50 dip sticks from Amazon to keep an eye out. I think someone asked about them up thread, they got us DS2 so I heartily recommend them.

Here's my stats:
KokoLoko, DS1 37 months, DS2 15 months, age 36, no AF still (back at 13 months with DS1). Would like 4 kids in total but right now I'd just like to get going on #3 wink

Good luck to everyone!
Koko (DS1's favourite Chugger, lol)

WaitingForPeterWimsey Sat 23-Nov-13 23:30:30

Hi again everyone, it's Blackberry, but I've name changed - sorry to confuse!

I'm going to gather up all the stats next time I get to the laptop and post an occasional stats post for us to update as we go along, so we all know where we are.

I've had a horrible bug this week and have been in bed out of action for the last few days, which is why I've been AWOL smile

Now on 14 dpo and no AF, but cracked and tested on cb digital and bfn hmm maybe for the best as I've been so unwell this week.

Now going to read all your posts and try to do a proper reply!

WaitingForPeterWimsey Sat 23-Nov-13 23:39:27

Hi Koko, poor DS with the teething and poor you too. My DS did this v badly as well and it definitely will stop. I found that a few things worked. One, you may find that if you focus in how they take the nipple in, you can tell if they are going to bite. If they take it in deeply they are going to suck, more shallow and a bite is imminent. Then you can use your finger and insert it quick as a flash between the gums so he can't close down. Saying in a calm, kind but firm voice 'no biting please' also helps. I found this article really useful:

www.llli.org/faq/bite.html

WaitingForPeterWimsey Sat 23-Nov-13 23:54:56

Eggs, how lovely to hear from you - very impressed you and Lelly are both aiming for four - that was my plan too, but I didn't get TTC until a little too late for that grin hopefully your supply will hold out and if you do want to tandem you can carry on. I hope things get a bit less sore.

Lelly, really sorry to hear about AF hmm but another month another chance. I'm expecting AF tomorrow, too. Fingers crossed for both of us next month.

Wild, how fab to hear how everything is going - so far on now in your pg smile I am sure you have mixed feelings about dd weaning, but she will have gained so much by feeding for so long, both physically and emotionally. She also had a lovely slow, calm end to feeding - lucky girl! You might be interested to hear that Iirc I've read in my LLL weaning book that it's not uncommon for dc to ask to feed again once they see their newborn sibling feeding.

Mister, do you think you've ov now?

Not, how are you finding the temping? Are you hooked??

Ekko, any signs of AF for you at all?

Cat, did you ov yet? Are you trying this cycle or still waiting until January?

catellington Sun 24-Nov-13 12:36:53

Hi all, interesting new name waiting! I think I may have ov because today my temp is 0.3 higher than the highest it's ever been. It does fluctuate though. I'm on day 17 which would seem reasonable.

We aren't using contraception but not actively trying in that I'm not wrestling dh to the ground etc! Just trying to get the hang of temp charting. ( ie remembering to do it!)

WaitingForPeterWimsey Sun 24-Nov-13 21:07:50

Stats Roll Call for the thread where determined Mnetters are TTCing while feeding bm grin

I have updated some of our stats a little to bring them up to today as it has taken me a while to get to a laptop - hope that's ok. Of course please change yours if you want to add more/delete anything. If you are new to the thread, please do add yourself. We love new members here and there is plenty of support grin

Please shout if I have missed you off!

Catellington, one DD age 9 months, on cycle 3, DD normally feeds 7.30am, 4.30pm, 6.30pm and a couple of times (I think) during the night. Age 33 so need to get a move on if I want to have 4. Currently on day 17. I think I may have ov because today my temp is 0.3 higher than the highest it's ever been. It does fluctuate though.

Ekk0, bf dd2 and waiting for AF. (Hope this is ok Ekk0 - wanted to make sure you were on the roll call, but wanted to leave it for you to say what you want to write - let me know and I will update).

KokoLoko, DS1 37 months, DS2 15 months, age 36, no AF still (back at 13 months with DS1). Would like 4 kids in total but right now I'd just like to get going on #3

Lelly, cycle 3 with 11 month old DS, ttc #2 ASAP! Night weaned but fed am, afternoon and pm. Now on cd 4.

NotInYourNature cycle 0 with 8 month old (nearly 9), Night weaned bf 5-6 times a day. 28 in constant 2ww

MisterSafety, cycle 2 after 16 month old ds, bf 3 x per day until 2weeks ago but currently going through a (maybe permanent?) nursing strike so expressing am & pm, was due to ov this week.

WaitingForPeterWimsey (used to be Blackberry) 1 DS aged 2, on cycle 4 of AF post DS. DS day-weaned but bf all 3-4 times per night. Aged 39 so need to get a move on! Currently in the 2ww bfn on 15 dpo so almost certainly out for this month.

Recent graduates with bfps!

Wild - 17 weeks pg smile
Eggs - 16 weeks pg if I've got that right smile

Best of luck to all of us grin grin grin

catellington Sun 24-Nov-13 21:37:38

Wow waiting that is really great! Thanks for this.

Is your household back on form now waiting? koko how about your family? We were on holiday this last week and all got a cold the day we arrived. Dd has a really chesty cough, and has been a very reluctant feeder all week. I was worried for a few days that was the end of bf her, she was screaming and kicking and biting at every feed, but she's back in good form now so I think it was her cold making it uncomfortable to feed.

mister is the nursing strike still ongoing?

Hope everyone else is ok, I'm just mentally preparing myself to have yo get up early and work tomorrow after being on holiday sad think I will plan another one to cheer myself up! Although what with TTC it's weird trying to plan anything in advance isn't it??

WaitingForPeterWimsey Sun 24-Nov-13 21:39:40

Finally getting over my lurgy more or less here, but a bit frustrated as I think all the stress over the past week over dh's job has driven away my AF. Even though I am on 15 dpo there is no sign at all of my AF and bfn with cb digital. Test was an old expired one I had, but it showed up 'not pg', so presumably must have been working - got same result on an ic too.

My DSis popped over yesterday and was so excited as she'd been TTC for a while - their dc#1 and she had a bfp yesterday - really really pleased for her smile so at least DS will have a cousin close in age even if it doesn't happen for us for a while yet.

WaitingForPeterWimsey Sun 24-Nov-13 21:45:22

Hi Cat, x-posted with you there! Sorry to hear you've all been ill too! Poor dd - glad she's a bit better now. Always such a shock to go back after a holiday. I'm feeling a bit like that tonight too as we had a lovely long weekend with loads of family visiting and it felt pretty festive. I know what you mean about planning - I keep thinking 'oh but I might be pg by then', but part of me also thinks it could take ages. I have in mind that if no bfp by a few months into 2014 I may consider trying to reduce the night feeds a bit. Don't really want to, though, as DS is so happy at the moment with the nighttime set up and is sleeping pretty well. Bf just makes everything so much easier blush

KokoLoko Sun 24-Nov-13 23:04:33

Wow! Great list Waiting, thanks for doing that, it's exciting to see people who understand and also the bfps! Congrats on those Wild and Eggs!

Thanks for asking Cat, DS2 seems a bit better now, he's still a dribble monster but last night slept 8 until 5.30 (then into bed and on boob until we woke up at 7 so not bad at all. I need to log his feeding but I don't think today he's had any (except at 5.30am), he even went down with a bottle for DH tonight so a night off for me wink

Good luck back at work tomorrow Cat, glad you and DD are feeling better, did you have a good holiday?

Because of my history (first pg was a complete molar then had mc) the doctor has told me to go and see him if it takes longer than 6 months TTC, however, I don't know when to count that from? TMI but we've not used any contraception since DS2 was born but I suppose it'll be from when AF finally turns up, what do people think? It's so tricky.

WaitingForPeterWimsey Sun 24-Nov-13 23:51:18

Hi Koko, glad you like it smile It's really good to hear that DS is feeling better. I would count from when you could physically have got pg - from when AF returns, as you don't ov without then getting AF iyswim. Hopefully that will be v soon!

This thread is not accepting new messages.