The ongoing search for BFPs now leads the BESH to the barren polar wastes, in the footsteps of Scott, Shackleton and Franklin.

(1000 Posts)
ArielThePiraticalMermaid Tue 19-Feb-13 22:35:08

Pack those reindeer sleeping bags, huskies and skis - we're off to the Antarctic to look for our BFPs. Unlike Scott, we'll eat the poniez if necessary (topical joke). Let's huddle together through the Antarctic night and we'll try not to kidnap one of the emperor penguin toddlers for our very own. Bring on blizzards, pack ice, shipwreck, attacking leopard seals, voyages across the Southern Ocean in rowing boats and hazardous traverses of South Georgia in search of rescue - just like the Shackleton expedition, NO BESH WILL BE LEFT BEHIND.

(do I win the prize for most random fred ever?)

Northey Wed 20-Feb-13 10:47:39

Give them a ring and say you are spotting but not full flow and what do they want you to do. They might want to get things ready and then have you call back later to say it's turned into torrents of gore or has gone away or whatever.

Or you could waste a fiver.

Northey Wed 20-Feb-13 10:48:38

Also, you are not allowed to be wussy on a polar expedition <stern>

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Wed 20-Feb-13 10:59:10

<bursts into tears>

Leave me behind then!

TWinklyLittleStar Wed 20-Feb-13 11:02:14

No BESH left behind!

<bundles rie in beaver skin rugs and puts her on back of husky sled>

captainmoll Wed 20-Feb-13 11:05:44

I'm stoutly agreeing with Norfs advice, Rie, in the manner of a beardy Victorian gent. Chow down on this piece of dried husky and then call the clinic. I've been told frequently that spotting doesn't count as day one, only full flow counts.

And then pee on a fiver for us, just cos we need some distractions out here in the icy tundra.

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Wed 20-Feb-13 11:06:52

I've used up all my morning wee. I can't pee on a fiver yet.

EuroShagmore Wed 20-Feb-13 11:08:02

I was told that only full flow before 2 or 3pm (can't remember which) counted as Day 1.

Rie when I had head in sand snow moments, I made KFZK call the clinic for me. Would that be an option for you? (I mean Mr Rie rather than KFZK but I could lend you him if you prefer.)

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Wed 20-Feb-13 11:11:13

I know it isn't full flow yet, and that it doesn't count as day one if the bleeding starts after midday.

But it kind of came from nowhere. I went to the loo for a poo (TMI? <doesn't care emoticon> and I'd had a couple of cramps in the last hour or so, and now there's spotting, which has gone away now.

But in the last few cycles I've been getting days of cramps.

I seem to have two different types of droids and I've not had one like this for yonks. One is only small amounts of boob pain, hardly any spotting, a few days of cramps and then droid on day 33 or so. The other, like this one, is boob agony from about 20 days in, no cramps, but a couple of days of spotting. I haven't had this type for ages.

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Wed 20-Feb-13 11:12:17

Oh him <scornful> He won't do it. He'll just think I'm being stupid. It's just a phone call, right? No different from calling anyone else.

evilgiraffe Wed 20-Feb-13 11:16:00

I have to wind myself up to call anyone - it's terrifying. I dread to think how shaky and nervous I will be when having to call clinics etc.

lovesLemonDrizzleCake Wed 20-Feb-13 11:29:01

How much spotting? If droid arrives properly call them (and I am just a few days ahead of you, so ready to offer hand holds and stabby tips). Did you see in the new NICE guidelines that they're no longer recommending IUI for us unexplained ones? I wonder how much of it will be implemented...

lovesLemonDrizzleCake Wed 20-Feb-13 11:31:00

<came to the party late and X-posted with everyone, well wot euro says really>

PS Cut off times for cd1 seem randomly clinic dependent...

lovesLemonDrizzleCake Wed 20-Feb-13 11:32:31

Btw I hate calling them, thankfully my clinic has an online form thingy, so you don't actually have to speak to someone, they call you with an appointment in the middle of an important work meeting, preferably

FrankellyMyDearIDontGiveADamn Wed 20-Feb-13 12:06:20

Have spoken to the clinic. Advice is to wait a week and test again. They've given me the phone number for a fertility counsellor.

Northey Wed 20-Feb-13 12:24:36

<penitent> Here, rierie, I've brought you one of the huskies for a comforting cuddle.

Actually, I had something similar for my last two pre-ivf cycles - spotting for a couple of days before whenever I pooed. It was v stressful when I needed to know CD1 for the clinic.

Are you worried about different droid styles? Or getting it wrong for the clinic? Or just the plain fact that you're about to start treatment?

Northey Wed 20-Feb-13 12:25:16

A whole week, frank? That seems a lot sad How are you feeling now?

lovesLemonDrizzleCake Wed 20-Feb-13 12:27:55

Can't they just do a sneaky blood test by the weekend or something, frank? It seems LONG. Are you considering talking to the counsellor? It might be helpful, although I have recently dropped all my coping techniques, because I cannot be bothered, but I am okay, so

Can I have a husky cuddle too?

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Wed 20-Feb-13 12:39:23

Any comments here? I have made one, albeit a rambling incoherent one.

Drizz you can have a husky cuddle yes. Grab hold of this penguin chick too.

I am worried about, oh, everything Norf. Doing it wrong. Failing most of all. Getting to the clinic for all the scans and stuff (it's 30 miles away and we only have one car between us, which MrRie needs for his new job). It hurting. Having students peering up my fanjo. Oh yes...it actually succeeding too. Timing ishoos - imagine if the one which works results in a August baybee. Me in my line of work! My dad's ongoing illness which is getting worse, and my mum coping. My feelings when my sister has hers in May. Everything. I am worrying about everything.

EuroShagmore Wed 20-Feb-13 12:45:06

<Adds another fluffy penguin chick to rie's stockpile>

Another week frank? That's just cruel. I'm surprised you were not offered a blood test, given the uncertainty.

FrankellyMyDearIDontGiveADamn Wed 20-Feb-13 13:06:59

I'm ok, but not great. I've cried off work (literally) and come home.

The nurse was lovely but it seems this is the standard procedure, regardless of the faint line yesterday - she even put me in hold to double check with the Dr.

The more I think about it, and stare at yesterday's tests, the more I think I've had a chemical pregnancy.

<cuddles up to fluffy penguin chicks - not the squirts poo kind>

navis176 Wed 20-Feb-13 13:42:45

<trudges in, running late as usual>

I'm sorry frank <adds a fluffy penguin chick to the huddle>

<passes rie another husky to cuddle> - not sure it will help with the worrying, but at least it's cute

navis176 Wed 20-Feb-13 13:45:30

apologies for missing the start of the expedition - feel free to throw me out of tent into the cold - had to engage in 2 day row with MOF and then go out and get very drunk. All back under control now....<tho worries giving bad first impression as have been drunk twice in first week, oops, promise to behave better now>

lovesLemonDrizzleCake Wed 20-Feb-13 13:45:43

<throws herself into the penguin-chicks in the happy circle>

Right, let's talk about scary shit arie. As to doing it wrong - you won't. It is easy (if a little freaky) to stab oneself. If you drive all the way there (what a pain, btw) and nothing is going on, that means something: need a different dose or something, that is the point of trying; students looking up your fanjo: just say NO. My lovely consultant had a student with her when we came to check my mc was an actual mc, she asked whether the student could come along and before I could utter NO, she said, "better not today, I can see it from your face" and that made the ordeal a bit better (having said that I am now completely happy to let the trainees practice on me, and have become expert at guiding them towards my hidy left ovary); it working (YAY): shit scary; it not working: SHIT and horrid. Weird thought, and very unvictorian, have you considered talking to someone about it all?

Just SHIT frank. I am sorry and thinking it was the month for diffage, chemical or otherwise, but maybe next time

lovesLemonDrizzleCake Wed 20-Feb-13 13:46:58

Mavis being drunk twice in a week gives you credit here, not the other way round. Glad you joined us belatedly, have a penguin chick. Is the row with MOF sorted as well?

lovesLemonDrizzleCake Wed 20-Feb-13 13:48:52

I have just noticed the liberal usage of the word SHIT in my post. Hope nobody takes offence...

I am knackered, but really shouldn't be, had a lovely long sleep. Any suggestions on how to survive the rest of the week?

PS I went running with my running group yesterday and it was loads of fun but now my legs ache.

This thread is not accepting new messages.