Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Wheezing 1 year old

(4 Posts)
gunting Tue 08-Nov-16 19:41:31

My DS has been a bit wheezy this evening only after crawling round. He hasn't got a temp, he's eating fine and is happily playing. Should I call 111 now or make him a doctors appointment tomorrow?

123bananas Tue 08-Nov-16 19:47:43

If he is fine in himself he should be okay.

Count his breathing when he has been sitting still a while, should be 30-40. 50+ at rest needs to be seen tonight. Look at the soft notch at the front of his neck, does it suck in when he is breathing? If it does this is a sign that he is working harder to breathe and should be seen. It is the season for viral wheezes at the moment.

Pinkkahori Tue 08-Nov-16 19:52:19

Mum of an asthmatic here. Definitely keep an eye on him tonight. Long experience tells me that if a wheeze is going to get worse it usually does so at night. Like the previous poster advised when he is resting count his respiration per minute. If he is breathing very quickly and shallow or seems to be working hard to breathe you must get him checked out.
Watch for a blue tinge around the mouth, jerky breathing or the skin pulling in at the throat or ribs.

gunting Tue 08-Nov-16 19:54:53

Thank you both for your replies. I will check him over and keep an eye on him before bed.

He doesn't seem to have a cough and the wheeze is after he's been crawling round. I have asthma and I'm thinking perhaps it could be that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now