Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

This can't be athlete's foot can it? (pic included)

(15 Posts)
alwaysfancywine Tue 27-Sep-16 14:32:09

This is on both feet and hands and was alot worse than this. It's very loose skin that comes off easily and it's not sore. What on earth is it? Popped into Boots and the pharmacist sold us some athlete's foot cream but even she wasn't sure what it was...?

sglodion Tue 27-Sep-16 14:35:47

Doesn't look like athletes foot to me. My DD had similar peeling hands and feet after having a virus. It stopped just as quickly as it started so we never really found out what it was.

Haunter Tue 27-Sep-16 14:36:11

Yes, likely athlete's foot. My ds has the same, it's not sore or itchy just peeling feet but it is a form of athlete's foot usually due to not drying feet properly. The cream plus regular sock changing and thorough drying after baths should sort it.

bigfriendlygiant Tue 27-Sep-16 14:36:14

It doesn't look like athletes foot and fungal infections are rare on hands. Does he sweat a lot? Has had blisters?

alwaysfancywine Tue 27-Sep-16 14:57:43

He is quite sweaty yes, esp at night but on his head really, not hands and feet. Here's a pic of his hand too (taken at a strange angle so his fingers look weird!).
Incidentally, he had a tick a few months ago which I managed to mess up the removal of so I didn't get it all out alive and now I'm super paranoid about lime disease. He had a 5 day rash a few weeks ago that came and went - like a prickly heat/ pin prick type rash all over that was itchy. Can't help thinking it's all related somehow!

PinkSwimGoggles Tue 27-Sep-16 14:59:46

sorry looks like athletes foot to me.

alwaysfancywine Tue 27-Sep-16 15:33:55

I'll carry on treating it as athletes foot/hand for now and see if it clears up. Thanks

Excitedforxmas Tue 27-Sep-16 15:35:53

My skin went like after Scarlett fever

Verbena37 Tue 27-Sep-16 18:55:18

To me it looks like athletes foot and it can spread to other areas of the body. Even if it's not athletes foot, it does appear to look like a fungal infection I'd have said.....especially around the toes.

Verbena37 Tue 27-Sep-16 18:56:31

Did they give him treatment for the tick bite?

Verbena37 Tue 27-Sep-16 18:59:23

This might put your mind at ease about Lyme disease

beautifulgirls Wed 28-Sep-16 20:35:31

Possibly post scarlet fever (strep) infection peeling?
Any fever recently?

alwaysfancywine Wed 28-Sep-16 22:16:31

No fever atall recently so can't even have been a mild case of scarlet fever. Body rash a couple of weeks ago that came and went in 4 days. Looked like a heat rash and was itchy. Perhaps I'll take him to the doctors tomorrow to be sure. X

KayJBee Wed 28-Sep-16 22:31:15

I had something similar a few months ago. All over itchyness for 5 days or so, saw pharmacist, took antihistamines. Forgot about it.
Then a few weeks later the skin started peeling off one foot. I didn't link the 2 episodes though. Saw podiatrist and she wasn't sure but said athletes foot can present differently in different people. Said to try lamasil once treatment (but to use it twice 7 days apart!), if that didn't work then go to gp for hydrocortisone. Never try the hydrocortisone first because if it is athletes foot then it will make it worse
The lamasil did the job and I've been fine since.

alwaysfancywine Wed 28-Sep-16 22:50:08

Ooooh thanks Kay! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now