Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Calpol avoidance - but when to give?

(60 Posts)
hillbilly Fri 22-Nov-13 16:18:16

I'm quite anti medicating for the sake of it, and figure that a high temp is the body trying to heal itself (this is on the doctor's advice btw). DD ((8) has had a temp of 39.6 for the last 2 hours. Should I give her paracetamol or wait a while?

paperlantern Sat 23-Nov-13 17:14:26

oh you can do what you like.

But yes to my mind you should.

I have never met a doctor who suggested otherwise

bumbleymummy Sat 23-Nov-13 17:19:47

More and more doctors are following the guidelines. If you decide not to then that's fine but I don't think you should be telling other people not to.

paperlantern Sat 23-Nov-13 17:40:51

really? I haven't met on.

paperlantern Sat 23-Nov-13 17:41:13

one not on

bumbleymummy Sat 23-Nov-13 17:44:19

Must be moving a bit slower in your area. smile

PennySillin Sat 23-Nov-13 20:36:16

I'm a minor illness nurse and DH is a GP. I have recently updated our GPs on the new guidelines. As others have said it is not advisable or beneficial to use paracetamol as a temp reducing medication but to use it as a pain killer is fine. Treat the child not the temp. Most children with high temps alone are not picked up anyway as it's usually the distress that causes parents to take their temp.

OhWhatAPalaver Sun 24-Nov-13 09:54:15

I know this thread has a lot info in it but i dont think anyone has mentioned the E numbers and parabens in calpol. Parabens have been linked to hormone inbalance and ealry onset of puberty so for this reason I rarely give my dd calpol. Only if she is clearly in pain or has a v high temp. There are plenty of other ways to reduce temp, bathing in warm water (not cold or hot) works very well.
I wish there was something available to give them that wasn't full of crap. sad

bumbleymummy Sun 24-Nov-13 10:50:42

Ohwhatapalaver - I don't know how you feel about Saccharin but you could use disprol as an alternative. It's soluble paracetamol and is suitable from 3 months - dosages are given on the packet. We usually dissolve it in water and then mix it with a bit of juice/smoothie and they drink it with a straw.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sun 24-Nov-13 10:59:07

OhWhatAPalaver using tepid water is not a recommended way of trying to lower a temperature as it fools the body into thinking its cooling and stimulates a compensatory effect, the body then heats itself up further.

In all the years I've been nursing it's never been recommended.

OhWhatAPalaver Sun 24-Nov-13 12:32:35

I didn't mean tepid water, I meant like a normal bath. I know you don't use cold or cool water as it can make it worse.

Thanks for the info on the disprol, might give it a go smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now