Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Treating asthma naturally

(41 Posts)
MistyB Fri 13-Sep-13 23:54:34

Does anyone have any tips, positive stories to share?

Cheryzan Sat 14-Sep-13 08:51:55

Asthma triggered by dogs, cats etc is very likely to be helped by the Buteyko method

Abra1d Sat 14-Sep-13 08:52:01

Getting rid of carpets may be a rash move as they can act as a filter, trapping dust at ground level. With wooden floors, dust is more mobile.

We hve two children with asthma and mixed flooring. Getting blood tests helps, but can be hard on the NHS. I would not get rid of pets without knowing whether they were triggers.

My 16-year old has now grown out of asthma by and large, though we make sure he always has an inhaler with him, especially if running on cold days. We know it could recur.

My 15-year old was able to do scuba diving on holiday because she doesn't need much ventolin. She occasionally uses her steroid inhaler if she has a cold. We attend asthma clinics regularly. The nurses are well trained and have some good advice to give. She plays the trumpet and used to run. I think both these helped control the asthma, obviously not cure it.

Both mine do well in mediterranean climates.

MousyMouse Sat 14-Sep-13 08:59:29

as others say, you cannot treat asthma naturally (that is really dangerous and can lead to serious lung damage!)

but you can do a few things to improve it.
- losing weight if overweight (not for a child, though)
- cleaning/dusting often with non-invasive cleaners
- avoiding air fresheners, toilet smellly cleaners
- good ventilation
- avoid pets

zirca Sat 14-Sep-13 09:04:21

Asthma kills. Taking the medication as prescribed, and going to medication reviews regularly, should lead to a life that is symptom free. Removing dust and dust traps (as well as chemicals/pollution where possible) from the house helps, so:
- hard floors not carpets
- Spring mattress not foam one
- none of those air freshener things that are constantly on
- if you're choosing a house, not next to a main road and as far out of the centre of town as you can afford to be
- be careful if you do any painting in the house
- pets don't help, fish are good!
- Cherries, bizarrely, do help. They are rich in anti-inflammatory compounds, and while they cannot fix anything on their own, can help alongside medication. I eat a handful a day on my breakfast in the summer, and that keeps me on my (very strong) inhalers only, without me ending up on steroid tablets.

Always make sure you have spare ventolin in the house, and take two on holiday, in case one gets lost.

DisappointedHorse Sat 14-Sep-13 10:04:26

I find a salt pipe and turmeric really helps me. I use the salt pipe for 15 minutes morning and evening.

I also take a mixture of turmeric and local and manuka honey twice a day which is brilliant.

I don't ever envisage being able to stop my inhalers but it feels much more controlled taking these.

MistyB Sat 14-Sep-13 19:56:31

I must read the Butekyo book again, I use the technique to clear noses, help with wheezing and to calm breathing down but when we tried to do the steps, I think he was too young, perhaps we should try again.

Disappointed What is a salt pipe? Is it something that can help children too?

mercibucket Sat 14-Sep-13 22:47:03

vitamin d supplements

Havea0 Sat 14-Sep-13 22:54:03

What has worked for my 24 year old? Moving from the countryside of a county that is a bit "damp", to London. He no longer needs any inhalers at all. [He was born with breathing difficulties, had "bronchilitis" regularly, up to 2 years old, and asthma quite badly thereafter].

I dont know whether his age has anything to do with it at all, but we have noticed before, that towns or cicites are better for him than rural living.
[I would ask around, and talk to gp etc, before taking this drastic step, purely on what I have just written].

Havea0 Sat 14-Sep-13 22:54:39

Should have said, left rural living at 18 years old.

SummerRain Sat 14-Sep-13 23:09:02

People have died from trying to go med free so under no circumstances try that.

Dp found the breathing techniques which teach you to breathe through your nose beneficial for a while but they take perseverance and he didn't stick with it. They might be easier to teach a child who's less ingrained in their habits though.

Knowing the triggers is important too. Dp get bad if I use fabric softener for instance. I haven't found dds trigger yet, she was only dx in spring though so we're still working on it. Luckily dust doesn't seem to be one given my lax housekeeping!

Fresh air definitely helps though, open windows and get them outside as much as possible (provided pollen isn't a trigger)

And use the preventers wisely. There's nothing wrong with giving the child a break now and again if you don't like the constant use but use them when needed and never skimp on the salbutamol.

VerySmallSqueak Sat 14-Sep-13 23:23:27

It's so strange you say that HaveaO because the one biggest thing that improved my asthma was moving to the countryside from the city.One of my major triggers was obviously pollution.
Different courses for different horses I suppose!

ZingWantsCake Sat 14-Sep-13 23:33:00

water water water

there's s book called "The body's many cries for water" by Dr. Batmangelidj (or something like that)

read it.

Havea0 Sun 15-Sep-13 11:20:20

Very. You could have a point there. I suppose it can work the other way too.
My boy does have a problem with grass pollen a bit, some years. He also seems allergic to being in close proximity to cows.

LoveSewingBee Sun 15-Sep-13 13:46:46

My uncle died of asthma during the war, he was six years old.

A colleague died of asthma as he had run out of inhalers and thought he would manage the weekend without them. He had an attack on the Sunday, was rushed to hospital where he died.

Asthma kills.

If asthma has been diagnosed, don't risk your own or somebody else's life. Take the medication, have check ups.

By all means clean to within an inch of your life and do all the other things, but nothing replaces the medication.

SerialStudent Sun 15-Sep-13 16:34:29

Asthma is scary at its best and a life taker at its worst.

Ventolin and Seredite and occasionally antihistamines here.

Ice read that vitamin d also helps. But IMO nothing sould ever replace ventolin for this scary asthma attack moments.

DisappointedHorse Sun 15-Sep-13 21:05:49

A salt pipe is safe for children as far as I know. I got mine from Holland and Barrett for about £15.

It could be worth a try as a supplement?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now