Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

molluscum contagiosum children

(210 Posts)
MLPB Sat 02-Mar-13 15:19:05

Hello, I am new to this so apologies if I get this wrong!

Our D has had this for around 18 months now. They are spreading to her face which is making me become impatient with them going naturally.

I tried Collodial Silver spray twice a day for a month.... It didn't get rid of any although it seemed not to spread either.

I then tried pure Tea Tree Oil, dipped on a cotton bud & applied to each spot using a new cotton bud every time twice a day. This seemed to burn the skin and again no change.

We are now using Hydrocortisone Cream prescribed by our Doctor twice a day. We are now on day 5 and if anything they are bigger!

I wouldn't mind too much if only on her body but to be on her face is just heart breaking.

Forgive me as I know their are parents with children who have life threatening illnesses, but I was just wondering if someone could help guide me on what they might look like when they start to go....

Do they get larger perhaps?

Or give guidance on how or what might help speed up the process. Thank you x

CoteDAzur Tue 12-Mar-13 11:51:21

OP - At least get your DS treated for the two that he has. Tell your GP that you want referral to a dermatologist who will scrape them if he won't.

Oomph Thu 14-Mar-13 21:22:20

Hello MLPB, I just rediscovered this thread. Some brilliant advice from people. How is it going with your little one? Mine now has chicken pox, so the molluscum and the spots sort of blend into each other. Sigh.

MLPB Sat 16-Mar-13 06:50:31

Yay! Saw Senior Doctor last night, within 2 minutes of looking at DD's neck the Doctor said these need to be freezed! I was astounded as after seeing 3 other Doctors over 18 months and being told nothing could' have done, the Doctor was astounded at how patient I was!

Now awaiting an appontnment for the freezing clinic! Fingers crossed this works!

Has anyone else had any experience of freezing that might be useful in knowing beforehand?

Branleuse Sat 16-Mar-13 07:04:28

we went to a homeopath and after a detailed appointment lasting over an hour, she prescribed something that cleared them up within 2 days.

My friend did the same and her daughters molluscum then cleared up within 24 hours.

CoteDAzur Sat 16-Mar-13 13:58:50

Freezing with a touch of liquid nitrogen is essentially a controlled burn - it will hurt when treated and will continue to hurt that day.

I'm glad you finally goth old of someone willing to treat your DD.

MLPB Sat 16-Mar-13 14:30:19

Hello Branleuse, where was this Homeopath? Perhaps they may be close that I could try if the freezing fails or DD refuses to have it done!

gordonpym Sat 16-Mar-13 16:49:20

Have you ever heard of the Apple cider vinegar treatment? There are several websites which explain how to apply it such as for example www.frugalityisfree.com/2011/06/apple-cider-vinegar-molluscum.html.
I did try this with DS2 last June when he had some on his torso and they went away in one week. Last month they started again on his right arm and I bought some vinegar and started with the bath and cotton balls. But then I saw more coming and I stopped.
Yesterday, I went back to the website to read through the hundreds of comment, and in one I read that sometimes, the vinegar activated the ones that are "dormant".
So , starting tonight I'll do it again and stick to it for 2 weeks. Then i'll come back here and share if there are any improvement.

FrameyMcFrame Sat 16-Mar-13 18:33:23

They do get worse and mire angry before getting better.
That's a good sign cos it means the body has recognised them and the immune system will respond and hopefully get rid.

MLPB Wed 27-Mar-13 09:33:23

Well DD had them frozen on Monday. They are the largest & reddest I have ever seen them and look more obvious now than ever! Apparently they are to disappear within a week to 10 days. Lets hope so!

MLPB Wed 03-Apr-13 19:00:38

Day 9 after freezing and they are still here! Have Doctors appointment booked for Thursday next week :-(

curlyclueless Thu 04-Apr-13 18:11:19

Ooomph, my son's were dreadful for 18months+, thankfully just his torso. He had chickenpox badly and as the chickenpox cleared so did the molluscum never to return. Hope the same happens to you x

MLPB Thu 04-Apr-13 19:38:52

Fingers crossed!

gordonpym Thu 04-Apr-13 22:00:28

Hum, so far the vinegar isn't really working. I haven't been 100% constant. Will try to cover them during the night, but DS2 hates plaster which makes it all more difficult.
I just wanted to keep you updated...

My DS had this, just torso but they were consistently spreading.

Tried lots of things but what worked for us was Bazuka waterproof treatment gel (extra strength) for veruccas.

I had initially tried dabbing them with acid (like apple cider vinegar) and covering but this burned the surrounding skin. I therefore reckoned that this product would have the same effect but contained only to the molloscum spot as it is advertised as drying to a waterproof protective cap (and is also an acid that softens the skin). You then peel off this cap each day and re-apply

Basically I applied it every night and after a few days the molloscum softened enough so that the inner white-ish core either came off with the peeled off cap or I could quickly squeeze it out.

This could be a bit sore sometimes but DS could be bribed to lie still for 10 mins for his spots to be done with promise of a sweet, so not that bad.

The cap also seemed to have the effect of stopping the spots spreading so it quickly got under control. After about 1 month all spots totally gone. We weren't always consistent to do every day so I think this would have been quicker if we had of been.

MLPB Sat 06-Apr-13 18:04:08

Sorry to hear it's not working Gordonpym.

Thank you for sharing what worked for you Thehairybabysmum. What you explained made sense. I would say 70% of those frozen 13 days ago are scabbing over, sometimes bleeding but still very much there. The remainder appear the same, pearlised spots.

I have stopped using all other suggestions put forward, eg. Dr Wheatgrass with fear of undoing the freezing!

However we also now have more appearing albeit very small on DD's jawline and cheek. I have no idea if these will just disappear or if they are the start of a new batch :-(

Back to the Doctors on Thursday but will definitely look into the Bazuka idea.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences, especially those with happy endings...... Just hope ours is not too far away as to have it on DD's face is beginning to isolate her from other children and beginning to knock her confidence :-(

Ahh, poor thing... It was affecting my DS too, he was quite embarrassed by them. DS had a couple appear on his willy which he really hated even though they weren't the biggest ones.

If you are getting new ones then I would defo recommend Bazuka as it really seemed to help stop them spread (i don't work for them honest!). Also the small ones seemed to disappear quicker than the big ones once treated (also didn't sting when I applied it).

Sounds like the freezing has worked though if they are stabbing over. I found that getting the core out was the key....gone within a couple of days once this occurred. I should have said that I only squeezed using a tissue and then binned and scrubbed my hands as it is this core that carries the infectious material.

Also only 2 or 3 have scarred and they were the massive ones, but scars already totally faded 6 months on.
Good luck, keep us posted!

SCABBING not stabbing, not a recommended treatment!!

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Sat 06-Apr-13 20:30:27

I wouldn't use bazooka? That stuff is evil! Have you tried squeezing op?

Not as evil as the molloscum though!

Piemother Sat 06-Apr-13 22:02:34

Dd1 had them. You know they are shifting when they get inflamed and sore looking. She had scars but they ate gone now. However if dd2 gets them I will be squeezing and shifting them pronto

VirtuousVamp Sat 06-Apr-13 22:07:26

Sorry haven't read through so this may havebeen suggested. My DD had them really badly for nearly 2 years. They finally went after we tried Thuja 90 homeopathy treatment. Believe me I had no confidence in homeopathy - have a science background but we'd tried everything!

First time we didn't follow the instructions totally but we have it another shot then went on holiday where DD was either in swimming pool or sea every day. Came home and they all pretty much got infected. Got steroid and antibiotic cream from Doctor and told to come back in 10 days for referral to dermatology. Day 10 came and they'd all gone!! She is scarred quite badly in places but they'd gone!!grin

DS was much younger and I squeezed them carefully as soon as I saw them so his went very quickly!

MLPB Sun 07-Apr-13 08:33:01

Thank you everyone! Have tried to squeeze them between 2 cotton buds but they seem really hard not like an acne spot.

I heard from somewhere that freezing them could trigger an outbreak and fearing this is what's happened as I can see around 20 tiny ones on cheek & jawline, exactly how the other looked before they took hold.

I have looked into Homeopathy, however the one name that was suggested either on this thread or another is not based near me and wanted £50 paid into her back account the day before doing a consultation through Skype! I was a bit sceptical so decided against it.

Tea tree oil just burnt the skin and it began to look like Excema. I bought some Molluscum treatment from the States but to be honest it was a tinh bottle and smelt like tea tree oil, again no joy. I have tried Collodial Silver spray but after a month of spraying twice daily new ones popped up!
Dr Wheatgrass spray and also cream for around 2 weeks 4-5 times a day but no improvement seen, although I have been told its s long process so not to expect results quickly. I stopped this about a week before the freezing as did not want the 2 to impact on eachothers and cause a reaction.

If it was anywhere else on the body I think it would be more tolerable its just so visual :-(

I really do appreciate everyone's time in sharing their experiences. Keep them coming as we are now approaching 20 months of this!

VirtuousVamp Sun 07-Apr-13 08:45:46

I got my thuja 90 from a health food shop in a very large Tesco. Cost less than a fiver.

VirtuousVamp Sun 07-Apr-13 08:53:50

from here

They are hard to squeeze - really painful if DD's screams were anything to go by. confusedhmm She felt more controlled doing them herself. We used a tissue over the spots and then squeezed really hard between thumb and index finger. confused

Good luck.

VirtuousVamp Sun 07-Apr-13 08:54:31

Think it might have been the 30 we used ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now