Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Cold sore in 7 months old

(8 Posts)
foxy6 Sat 16-Feb-13 01:26:50

i wouldn't rush to a & e in the morning unless she seemed unwell otherwise.
my dd didn't have 1 cold sore just the virus that causes them. ni my personal opinion i would be worried by a cold sore it shows the virus is where it's supposed to be, its when it goes to other places it can cause problems.
you will have to look up the medication she has been give if you are unsure what it is or as the dr or pharmacy.

Matl Fri 15-Feb-13 23:28:14

I have had cold sores my self and am positive that no zovirax whatsoever was prescribed

Matl Fri 15-Feb-13 23:24:36

The dr said it was cold sores....i will be the first in the a&e tomorrow am!

foxy6 Fri 15-Feb-13 23:22:57

Could have been prescribed anti vitals eg zovirax ( sorry for spelling) sort of stuff. Just be care full and please keep her away from other newborn babies. Cold sore virus can be deadly for new borns, My Dd died at 15 days from it.
I don't mean to worry you. She should be fine in that sence as she is older. Hope she is better soon, it must be very uncomfortable for her x

Matl Fri 15-Feb-13 23:12:51

I had not thought about it...on a brief google it seems it can be prescribed for avoiding infections when the breakout is erious?! Now i am even more worried

BeaWheesht Fri 15-Feb-13 23:12:48

Are you sure it isn't impetigo?

Selba Fri 15-Feb-13 22:26:30

Do you know why was she prescribed antibiotics for a viral infection ?

Matl Fri 15-Feb-13 22:01:28

My 7 month baby has a quite bad breakout of cold sore, covering all the chin and lower part of cheeks and lips....and from dr inspection also inside the mouh.
She was prescribed 2 anthibiotics that seem to have stopping it from spreading
Has any of you come across this? It is heart breaking to see her liitle chubby and usual smooth face looking so painfull.
Coincidence or not she has a tiny rash covering legs and tummy but dr has said she was not worried about it.
Looking forward for advices if your baby had gone through the same
Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now