Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

When did you first take your newborn out?

(55 Posts)
MrsWhirling Sat 26-Jan-13 10:46:51

My DS is 8 weeks old and so far I have avoided taking him out as he has not yet been immunised(due next week) due to the vast numbers of virus/flu etc about. Want to take DD to her dance class today & not sue if I should take DS with us or leave him with my parents. I'm worried he'll pick something up and won't be able to have his jabs next week.

How old was your newborn when you first started taking them out and about? Xx

havingastress Sat 26-Jan-13 10:49:05

Erm...2 days old when I went to register her birth grin

To be fair, DH works and I don't have anyone to have her, so she has to go wherever I go!

At 8 weeks I'm pretty sure he'll be fine! Put him in his pram, he'll probably just sleep.

MrsWhirling Sat 26-Jan-13 10:59:11

I did actually take him in the car to register his birth also but that was really quick. I guess I'm a bit worried about taking him somewhere with lots of kids with germs!!

The vaccines won't protect him from flu and viruses that are doing the rounds. They protect against what are now less common illnesses.

MrsWhirling Sat 26-Jan-13 11:05:46

I think I'll leave him at home with the grandparents!

Labootin Sat 26-Jan-13 11:06:50

I went to a BBQ the day after he was born, I had to cancel the midwives home visit.. As i explained i'd be out, She was rather surprised. I had a great time, ds was passed around and I got pleasantly tipsy on champagne meaning he slept v well that night.

SweepTheHalls Sat 26-Jan-13 11:06:57

2 days old to tescos. I would have gone mad otherwise!

Labootin Sat 26-Jan-13 11:07:42

I'd have gone stark raving crazy after 8 weeks tbh.

SavoyCabbage Sat 26-Jan-13 11:07:44

After a couple of days. Then I moved house when she was exactly seven days old.

barleysugar Sat 26-Jan-13 11:07:58

The next day after he was born. How do you think parents with older siblings manage? Do you thnk they don't let them any where near their precious newborn till after their jabs? You're being a little bit precious, sorry.

LadyKinbote Sat 26-Jan-13 11:08:38

I was out within days but just do what feels right to you. I found getting out helped my sanity though!

Ds came on the school run at 36 hrs old and every day since. Shopping at 4 days. Extended Family functions at a few weeks. He's 7 wks now and has been out for lunch and dinner with me to the nail salon, round friends to meet their dcs.

Your baby will be fine to go out at 8 wks.

CremeEggThief Sat 26-Jan-13 11:10:12

One day old for a walk to the park five minutes away. Only two or three hours after getting home from hospital!

MrsWhirling Sat 26-Jan-13 11:10:33

If you read my post before calling me precious you would have noted I have a DD5. It's her dance class I am wanting to take him too.

Hulababy Sat 26-Jan-13 11:10:49

On the way home from the hospital - we stopped in at DH's work as he was so keen to show her off smile I'd had a cs so a short stay - so she was about 2.5 days old.
From then on she was out and about with me and DH. Took her to the local eatery/pub at 7 or 8 days old whilst we had a meal. Took her into my school at 6-7 weeks once I could drive.

Never even considered not going out.

MrsWhirling Sat 26-Jan-13 11:12:31

Thanks. I think I just needed a bit of encouragement to be honest. 8 weeks pretty much at home ( due to weather & PND) has been a bit hard. Xx

PrincessOfChina Sat 26-Jan-13 11:12:54

Wow, I'm not sure how you managed to stay in for 8 weeks! I'd have gone crazy.

We first took DD out at a week old (we were in hospital until she was 4 days old anyway) and then went out most days. She went to the pub for the evening at 2 weeks old.

I really would have gone crazy staying in for 8 weeks.

5 days to go to the supermarket and do the Christmas food shop. I would not recommend it from an exhaustion point of view but that's all. Surely your DD will have been out and brought back any germs that are around?

MrsWhirling Sat 26-Jan-13 11:13:50

LOL! I did feel a bit crazy at times tbh!! Xx

Wommer Sat 26-Jan-13 11:13:57

Are you BFing? If so he's pretty well protected by your antibodies in Bmilk.

Tbh though I'd take him anyway - he's got to be exposed at some point to develop his own immune system.

Bluemonkeyspots Sat 26-Jan-13 11:17:23

20 hours old dd2 was in asda as I needed some basics and was desperate to show her off to anyone and everyone.

Nearly punched two old grannies in the face who felt it appropriate to ask me if I was disappointed in having another dd rather than a ds! (no I'm not the granny puncher from the other thread)

Can I - very gently and with lots of kind thoughts - suggest that you mention to your GP/health visitor how worried you are about taking your baby out? I know and understand how concerning it is to potentially have a sick baby, but to close yourself away for 8 weeks would suggest to me that perhaps your worries are a symptom of your PND and that you may need a wee bit of help.

Saying this as I recognise your worries from my own PND experiences x

MrsWhirling Sat 26-Jan-13 11:23:25

Yes ebf. DD has had various Virus' since he was born.

MrsWhirling Sat 26-Jan-13 11:24:20

Granny puncher!!! LOL!

MrsWhirling Sat 26-Jan-13 11:26:19

Thank you. Yes I agree and will mention to GP at check up next week. Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now