Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DC has a very flaky scalp and a thick crust waiting to flake off (boak)

(12 Posts)
tacal Sun 30-Dec-12 17:37:11

My ds was given Dermol from his skin doctor but she also recommended Simple Shampoo for kids. I bought Simple shampoo and it made a huge difference so we did not try the prescription shampoo. (I think it was some kind of Dermatitis DS had).

nightcat Sun 30-Dec-12 17:09:57

another condition that has similar symptoms is Dermatitis Herpetiformis

roundabout1 Sat 29-Dec-12 22:53:12

My dd had this when she was about 3, it was very crusty & yellowish, very much like cradle cap that she hadnt had since a young baby. I tried sensitive baby shampoo (with no foaming agents) made no difference. In the end I tried head & shoulders just to see & it made a huge improvement, used it for about a month & she has been clear of it since.

mumchat Sat 29-Dec-12 22:04:07

How old is your child?

Clearly GP best bet. In meantime (these worked for us)..... T-Gel shampoo following instructions on the bottle (leave in on for a while before rinsing). For hands try Aveno lotion. In a big pump bottle from Boots etc. If that fails ask GP for Exmol and Dermol on prescription. Use Exmol (never soap) to wash hands, dry very throughly after every wash & apply cream straight after washing & drying as well as morning & night.

pharmacist is a good port of call imo

ArtfulAardvark Thu 27-Dec-12 20:15:11

I don't think cradle cap as its only recently appeared.

Had assumed the hands were eczma but when I started reading upon what the scalp could be the psisorisis suggestion linked the two

Worth discussing with a pharmicist? I assume the surgery will be busy with all the hypocondriacs people who have fallen Ill over the the holiday.

Cautious about treating it as he has sensitive skin at the best of times

The shampoo smells vile confused I have a steroid gel for my scalp which works well

actually dd had dry flakes on her scalp and had a special shampoo, which she hated the smell of and wouldnt use, she also has cream for her dry skin.

is it cradle cap?

LineRunner Thu 27-Dec-12 20:01:56

Psoriasis is very unusual on palms, apparently, but agree that the GP should take a look.

Sounds like psoriasis to me I would go to the doctors. They can give special shampoos or steroid creams

ArtfulAardvark Thu 27-Dec-12 19:55:07

Could it be a soap build up or something else ?

He does also have dry flaky palms - I was assuming unrelated but psisorisis could link the two?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now