Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Please hold my hand. Baby has cancer

(395 Posts)

Thread title says it all.

One week ago I mentioned to dh (a doc) that dd 14 months had a tight tummy. He examined her, felt a lump. We went in to a & e, had a scan, they saw lump 13.5 cm across.

We've been referred to GOSH and they are amazing. Poor baby has had to endure scans, GAs, tests galore.

Latest is that it's either hepatoblastoma or germ cell tumour. CT scan on Monday to see if it's spread to the lungs. She has a central line in now so will start chemo within a week or so.

We have absolutely amazing friends and the support of our faith (we are Catholic) but it's like a completely weird dream. Our world has come crashing down.

We have four older children too (12, 10, 8 and 4).

Btw I'm a long term MNer but have name changed because I've got a one track mind now.

Loonytoonie Sat 29-Dec-12 07:44:04

Only now seeing this thread - I'm so sorry to hear this. I will pray for Beatrice.

She sounds a complete delight.

How are you and DH bearing up? How are your other children?

Thinking of you all, and sending you strength.

Loonytoonie Sat 29-Dec-12 07:45:03

Thanks, Loony.

We are ok, thanks. The first week was awful -- I was literally sleeping for two hours a night, couldn't stop crying and trying to imagine life without her. Somehow I'm just getting on with it now -- I suppose that being in here supporting her through the various procedures is keeping me distracted.

DH is struggling I think -- as a dr and a scientist he can make sense of all the info in a way I can't. Children are worried each in their own way, but doing really well in the circumstances. We all adored Beatrice to a nauseating extent even before this happened. It's so hard to see the children worrying about their little sister but so lovely that she has this tidal wave of love around her.

Sorry, terribly soppy but in the circumstances...

MarthasHarbour Sat 29-Dec-12 09:36:15

Sending all my love and strength to get you all through this x

TrazzleMISTLEtoes Sat 29-Dec-12 09:55:29

Praying so glad that the treatment has started. We were told that the children tolerate each dose of chemo better than the last so it may be that next time she is a little brighter and less sick. Fingers crossed.

So sorry about the hearing loss. I pray that it's as minor as it can be. I don't know whether this helps (and I don't mean to be alarmist about other procedures, I'm just trying to give you an example...) I was quite shocked to hear of a child who came out of their operation with possible brain damage because of complications but the mum was saying that it was ok because they could make whatever adjustments they needed to. They could cope with any changes they needed to because their child was here. As long as he was still present, it was still ok no matter what.

It's very hard but I am trying to think like her.

I hope you manage to get some rest at home.

izzyhasanewchangeling Sat 29-Dec-12 10:21:11

we are going to see MIL later, so I will ask her to add Beatrice to her prayer circle, she is absolutely devout and so the prayers of many will be added to the voices God is already hearing.

I am glad treatment has started and hope it works xx

Trazzle that is good to know re cumulative effect. Yes, I'm def trying to think about having a live deaf child being better than the alternative. But my DCs are quite musical so having even a bit of hearing loss would be such a shame.

I've got a friend whose child had cancer and she is very clear that what they were warned of often didn't happen so am trying to hold on to that too. Her child is now 10 having had it at 2 and is fine. Lovely to see success stories.

Btw a friend directed me to a page on FB, 'Pray for Andrew Mullins (Ireland)'. He's a little boy who was diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma. Now cancer free grin

X post. Big thx for MIL prayers.

crashdoll Sat 29-Dec-12 11:07:53

Glad little B tolerated her first round of chemo well. Fingers crossed for you and her. x

Northernlebkuchen Sat 29-Dec-12 17:15:39

Have just seen your prayer thread. I once heard one of the (very skilled and superb) doctors I work with talking to a patient about their condition. The patient effectively wanted to know some specifics for their outcome with their condition. The doctor replied 'I can't tell you that. I can tell you what has happened to 100 people like you but I can't tell you what will happen to you' I've always remembered that as a great explannation of medical stats - in x number of people we have seen x effect - so that gives you information about what may happen but it doesn't say what will.
I know none of us want to see our dcs lose anything - but you talk about being musical. Even if your little Bea loses some hearing she can still make music. Think of Dame Evelyn Glennie - she has never had hearing and she is a world renowned musician. Anything is possible.

Thanks northern, you're spot on. I was just quoting Evelyn Glennie to dh!

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Sun 30-Dec-12 02:11:35

A tidal wave of love sounds perfect!! smile

Poor little mite - all of that, then being sick as well, and it's so very hard when they are so young as they often haven't 'been sick' before - so it's a bit scary too. Hope the meds help x

Loonytoonie Mon 31-Dec-12 13:31:02

More prayers from me.
Strength to you all and to little Beatrice.

TrazzleMISTLEtoes Mon 31-Dec-12 15:20:07

Did you get home praying? I hope you are able to have a little bit of normal family time.

Thanks trazzle -- yes, we're home and Beatrice is amazingly cheerful (if very tired). So good to be all together at home.

izzyhasanewchangeling Mon 31-Dec-12 16:30:13

I am so glad you are home in your own surroundings, and also very happy to hear Beatrice is cheerful, that must be a small light for you.

SpectresandSpooks Mon 31-Dec-12 22:45:43

Thinking of you all. Your darling baby girl sounds like a little super star. Xx

Just read your thread and wanted to send prayers and good wishes.

JumpJockey Tue 01-Jan-13 18:25:53

Praying4Beatrice, we have met in RL (at baptisms at Blackfriars, mutual friends the B's and the B's) and I'm so sorry to hear this, will pray for you and Beatrice that her treatment works quickly and she is safely out the other side very soon.

Thanks all. Beatrice went from strength to strength today, scoffing smoked salmon, toddling, and learning to kiss <melts>. She's honestly happier than she's been for ages, so maybe the chemo is having an effect already, and/or it's a miracle in itself.

Ooh, JumpJockey, how intriguing! Give me a clue (or just PM me and put me out of my misery...

TrazzleMISTLEtoes Mon 07-Jan-13 07:32:57

Glad she has been doing so well - I hope it's continuing. You're all still in my thoughts and prayers.

Hulababy Mon 07-Jan-13 07:43:28

Good to hear she's doing well at the moment.

crashdoll Mon 07-Jan-13 07:46:26

Hope last week was a good one for little Beatrice.

Thanks for the kind messages, very much appreciated.

Up and down here. We had a brief patch after chemo when she was amazingly cheerful, playing, like her old self. We were so encouraged and, in my case at least, probably went back into denial. Since then she's been up and down, mostly very very clingy so I've got her on my lap all day, or in the sling -- except that unlike a newborn she is heavy and grabby so doing anything is a real challenge. Poor little lamb, I'm so worried about why she would be like that, if she's in pain, if it's getting worse...

Back for more tests tomorrow then chemo Fri/Sat. Am torn between dreading it and just wanting to get on with it.

XBenedict Wed 09-Jan-13 21:27:56

Praying - thinking of you and Beatrice. Love to you all x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now