Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Joe vs. The Cancer

(1000 Posts)
TrazzleMISTLEtoes Sat 08-Dec-12 23:26:34

My 3 year old DS, Joseph was diagnosed with the cancer Neuroblastoma in October.

Survival rates are approximately 1 in 3.

He's coming to the end of chemo and so far, chemo is kicking cancer's butt. 3 cheers.

thewhistler Fri 08-Feb-13 22:08:10

Scary stuff and so sorry, but as others have said, let's hope and pray for the best, full recovery of it.

Thinking of you as the roller coaster whooshes you and Joe on it. And hoping dd has recovered and DH is surviving.

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Sat 09-Feb-13 00:59:07

Just checking in to send lots more love and strength to you all xxx

banana87 Sat 09-Feb-13 01:54:23

Thinking of you all and especially joe. Xx

onedev Sat 09-Feb-13 12:01:36

Just checking in. Hope today is a good day! smile

Badvoc Sat 09-Feb-13 14:08:06

Thinking of you all x

toomuch2young Sat 09-Feb-13 19:12:33

Checking in, thinking of Joe and all the Trazzle family.
Lots of thought and prayers x

Thinking of all of you, hoping you had an uneventful weekendthanks

ShiftyFades Sun 10-Feb-13 19:30:32

Hope Joe is coping well with the chemo. How are you?
Big hugs xxx

minmooch Sun 10-Feb-13 21:03:36

Just dropping by to send you some love. Hope Joe is doing ok and all the family too. Thinking of you lots. Xxxx

dikkertjedap Sun 10-Feb-13 21:34:41

Hope Joe and all the other Trazzles have had a good weekend.

Thinking of you,

x

Hoping you are all well, still splodging avidly xx

Trazzletoes Sun 10-Feb-13 22:25:27

Hi, sorry for lack of updates, phone reception is unimaginably crappy in this room!

Joe is still doing fine, thanks. It's all a bit confusing really - we've been told that he should be ok until Friday/Saturday coming but every Doctor/Nurse who sees him comments on how amazing it is that he's doing so well...

He's had the last session of his first chemo drug today and is on no drips overnight - woohoo! Once he was unhooked he was out of bed and made me chase him round the room at full-pelt (it's quite big!) for a full 45 minutes grin.

DD is a bit better and was at least well enough to come in with me and leave withbDH so she has had a couple of hours with Joe. I'm hoping DM can bring her in tomorrow as after that she won't be allowed to see Joe sad.

DM has come down with this cold herself and I am finally coming to the end of it so hope to be clear of it in a couple of days.

I'm just tired. We all are. But it's the weight of knowing what's coming but not exactly how bad it will be. We'll get through it somehow. Perhaps it will be easier once we are in the throes of the horrific awfulness.

I'm honestly not trying to be melodramatic - despite the detail I've gone in to, there is stuff we have been warned about that I haven't put down and it is hard to imagine your child being more ill than they've ever been before in their life.

We have had such a lovely day today though. There is a photo in the shower of a tropical beach so Joe and I were talking about going to the seaside in the summer and seeing the boats and the fishes.

Badvoc Sun 10-Feb-13 22:34:41

Thank you so much for the update trazzles.
So happy you had a good day today smile
I am thinking of you and joe xx

Trazzletoes Sun 10-Feb-13 22:47:44

Sorry, forgot to say, he has one more dose of chemo left - 15 minute infusion tomorrow. That is the one that is going to annihilate his bone marrow [scared].

Hoping against hope that that is the last dose of chemotherapy he will ever need because it will blast this bastard cancer to the hell from whence it came NEVER to return so that my beautiful boy can grow in to a strong and healthy adult.

StillStuck Sun 10-Feb-13 23:02:19

I am usually a lurker, but always seeing your updates and thinking of you and your family and little boy and hoping and praying for you all

I had to post though after reading about him getting up and wanting to be chased as it just made me grin so widely! He sounds wonderful!

Thoughts and prayers for you all and especially Joe

Trazzletoes Sun 10-Feb-13 23:06:45

Thank you.

He IS wonderful grin !!!

thornrose Sun 10-Feb-13 23:10:26

I'm a lurker, I've been here from the beginning. I just don't have any words for what you are going through.
I am thinking of you and your lovely little boy x

narmada Sun 10-Feb-13 23:44:41

Here's to the infusion tomorrow being the last he needs to banish the horrible cancer.

Night all the trazzles xx

toomuch2young Sun 10-Feb-13 23:47:49

Go on infusion bash the cancer away for ever!
We are all here cheering Joe on, long may his fighting spirit and chasing energy continue xx

onedev Sun 10-Feb-13 23:51:31

All the best for tomorrow. He's a little star!

Go Joe!

Thinking of and praying for you.

tholeon Mon 11-Feb-13 06:58:22

Lovely to hear of you having a nice day and talking about the seaside xx

blizy Mon 11-Feb-13 07:35:59

Trazzle, I'm still thinking of you all. Joe is such an amazing little (big) boy, I too hope and pray that this is the last ever dose of chemo and it kicks the stupid cancer in the arse!

dikkertjedap Mon 11-Feb-13 09:20:26

He is such a tough boy - chasing around the room! smile

I hope your DM is feeling better today and able to bring your dd round to see Joe. Hope that Joe will have another good day today and will be able to play and have fun.

It is scary what lies ahead, but so far he has done brilliantly well! Nobody knows how he will respond to the high dose chemo and stem cell transplant but gingers crossed that he gets through with as few side effects as possible and that he as quickly as possible will have his own immune system working again.

Thinking of Joe and you a lot, wishing you lots of positive thoughts and Joe lots of energy for as much playing as possible.

x

BuffyFairyTopsTheTree Mon 11-Feb-13 09:56:01

Hand holding for today's infusion. I'm hoping with everything I have that this will beat the bastard cancer once and for all.

Joe is beautiful inside and out, a credit to you both as parents and an inspiration to us all.

Hugs x

This thread is not accepting new messages.