Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns about your child, we would urge you to consult your GP.

6 year old - Grinding teeth in sleep

(7 Posts)
Trazzletoes Wed 14-Nov-12 21:29:02

I've recently discovered DS does it. He's 3. He's having a rough time of it at the moment so guess it could be down to stress... sad. Haven't got round to discussing it with the dentist yet though.

BallyGoBackwards Wed 14-Nov-12 21:26:46

My DD did this from around 4 yrs till 6 yrs. I brought her to dentist just to make sure that there was no damage (there wasnt) and like some of the others, she stopped as she got older. She is 8 yo now and doesnt seem to do it at all.

My nearly 4 yr old grinds her teeth in her sleep - it's really loud! She sometimes has bad dreams but I don't think it's linked.

chrisrobin Tue 13-Nov-12 15:22:37

My DS did this for a year or so (aged 5-6), he wasn't stressed or upset about anything. The Dentist said not to worry about it as it would probably stop when his baby teeth dropped out and new ones arrived- she was right. He has lost his front teeth and the grinding has stopped.

SittingBull Tue 13-Nov-12 15:10:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

afrocircus Tue 13-Nov-12 10:59:54

My sister has done this all her life and still does now. She is probably one of the least stressed people I know so I doubt it is that? I think she had a mouthguard to wear at night for a while as a child but doesn't any more.

I don't think it's anything to worry about - but best to get it checked out smile.

SittingBull Tue 13-Nov-12 07:44:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now