History books for 6 year old.

(11 Posts)
evenoldergregg Mon 07-Mar-16 12:11:07

Could anyone please recommend a history book suitable for my six year old? She has become fascinated with, amongst many others, Cleopatra, Julius Caesar, the Romans, Ancient Egyptians, Kings and Queens, etc: We have literally hundreds of books at home on many subjects, including some lovely encyclopedias, but none a dedicated history book. Have looked at some on Amazon, but most are probably aimed at a higher age group. (Including the fabulous Horrible Histories and others of their ilk.) Does anyone know of a history encyclopedia that would fit the bill?

Leeds2 Mon 07-Mar-16 15:35:10

I don't, but Usborne used to do fantastic history books for younger readers so it might be worth having a look on their website.

evenoldergregg Mon 07-Mar-16 16:14:56

Thank you. Hadn't thought of the Usborne website.

Leeds2 Mon 07-Mar-16 18:40:16

I remember my DD having lovely hardback series (but only slightly bigger in size than a paperback, iyswim) about Greek myths. We got them from a school book fair, and I know they had other series, e.g. Egyptians, Romans etc. Was a long time ago now though!

evenoldergregg Tue 08-Mar-16 11:06:30

Thanks for your help Leeds2. Have taken your advice and bought a few Usborne beginners.

BlueChampagne Tue 08-Mar-16 13:11:34

Time Hunters series is good fun too for a fictional approach.

Leeds2 Thu 10-Mar-16 16:25:58

I hope she likes them!

Mandolinoparadiso Mon 21-Mar-16 10:29:46

My DS devoured the Magic Treehouse series by Mary Pope Osborne at that age. Two children go back in time to various periods and have adventures. They're well-written and very informative about the history of the time.

AstrantiaMallow Wed 30-Mar-16 22:07:48

I looked into this in the summer for DC same age then. Subsequently bought The Usborne History of Britain (10 books sold as a set for £15-18). Very detailed, too detailed in fact for them to absorb all but will last a while. DC loves it, has spent a lot of time delving into them.

megletthesecond Wed 30-Mar-16 22:11:44

Any historical Usbourne Lift The Flap books would probably keep her interested.

evenoldergregg Wed 06-Apr-16 19:30:51

Thanks everyone. She has really enjoyed reading the Usborne beginners. We already have a few of The Magic Treehouse stories, which she has thoroughly enjoyed. I recently bought a second hand copy of See Inside Ancient Egypt for 62p on Amazon, and will no doubt, sooner or later, buy the other recommendations too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now