Books/ series and 7-year old boy

(16 Posts)
KarlaPilkington Fri 07-Jun-13 13:03:48

I'm running out of books for my 7-year old son to read. He has loads of the Usborne classic books that we have loved e.g. Robin Hood, Gulliver's Travels etc. He has also read The Magic Tree House series.

His teacher this year wanted the children to not follow their usual structure of colour codes and left them to pick anything and everything they liked to read. Now that we are at the end of the year, I can see that his reading has got better and he can read something a bit heavier than the Magic Tree House series. I just bought him a few books from Dinosaur Cove but again, he just steamed straight through them. I am looking for something a bit more challenging, but not quite Harry Potter or How to Train Your Dragon yet. He seems to be somewhere in between.

Any recommendations?

booksteensandmagazines Fri 07-Jun-13 13:49:14

Jack Stalwart series?
Or Eoin Colfer's books for younger children - The Legend of Spud Murphy?

UptoapointLordCopper Fri 07-Jun-13 17:50:04

Mine likes the Jack Stalwart books. Roald Dahl. Beast Quest, Sea Quest, Quests of the Gods. hmm

Oh, and the Max and Molly's Guide to Trouble books are a hit. The Mr Majeika books. Wayside School books. Ninja Meerkat books. Pippi Longstocking. Jeremy Strong's books. These are the books we discovered from the library - I go and pick all the likely looking ones from Shelf #1 one week, Shelf #2 the next week and so on ...

Periwinkle007 Fri 07-Jun-13 19:51:07

Roald Dahl, Dick King-Smith - both might be worth a try.

what sort of things is he interested in?

Leeds2 Sat 08-Jun-13 13:12:55

Mr Gum? Or Horrid Henry if he hasn't already read them.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Sat 08-Jun-13 13:21:06

Captain Underpants. Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Junior Dr Who? Horrible Science/History.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 11-Jun-13 17:44:10

Does it have to be fiction? DS read lots of books on space at that age.

Willard Price's "Adventure" series - they are about two brothers who go out to "bring 'em back alive" for zoos and their adventures all over the world as they track wild animals - they are a wee bit dated (in that nobody has mobile phones or suchlike) now, but the animal info in them is all correct, and I still trot out wee factoids I learned reading them as a child now grin and they are very exciting (well for children they are iykwim)
Seven is just the age to enjoy them and not notice the odd "naff" bit wink
There are 13 iirc in the series, and the first one is "Amazon Adventure"
Or even "Secret Seven" and/or "Famous Five" or the "Barney" books or "Mr. Galliano's Circus" series by Enid Blyton. They are so dated now that they are "long ago and far away" and as removed from most children's reality as Hary Potter is iyswim, so you can get round the "middle class tweeness" and just treat them as the utter fiction they are grin - they are exciting but not too exciting, and all come out alright in the end with everyone safe and sound too. My 10, 8, and 6 year olds love them grin

toffeelolly Wed 12-Jun-13 07:00:08

Mine love mr. gum books

CaptainSweatPants Wed 12-Jun-13 07:03:58

Charlie Bone series is great

Kirk1 Wed 12-Jun-13 20:50:03

I was going to suggest the beast quest books, someone else beat me to it....DS went through those age 8.

jamaisjedors Mon 17-Jun-13 16:06:10
jamaisjedors Mon 17-Jun-13 16:06:55

Sorry, clicked send too soon!

The collection is a bit easier than famous five.

DS says "it's very exciting".

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Mon 17-Jun-13 16:14:14

My DS loves Famous Five & Secret Seven, also Spy Pups series, Roald Dahl & David Walliams.

iseenodust Mon 17-Jun-13 16:15:51

Tom Gates Genius Ideas - Pinchon(?)
Mudpuddle farm series - Morpurgo
There are some Ben10 graphic novels.

alarkaspree Wed 19-Jun-13 15:44:10

Try the Lemony Snicket Series of Unfortunate Events books. My ds loves them, sadly he is halfway through book 12 of 13 so we will have to find him something else soon. <sob>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now