What books did you love as a child that really DON'T stand up to re-visiting?

(90 Posts)
Takver Sun 16-Dec-12 21:49:04

Mine is "Children on the Oregon Trail" - our teacher read it to us at primary school in the top class and I loved it, we made maps of the children travelling across America etc etc. I tracked down a copy for dd and was sadly disappointed, partly because I had thought it was a true life story (it isn't) and partly because it just wasn't as good as I'd remembered.

Any others?

notnowbernard Fri 21-Dec-12 23:33:28

I have really enjoyed reading the 'My Naughty Little Sister' books to the DDs . They've stood the test of time for me smile

Takver Sat 22-Dec-12 11:02:03

Now Ballet Shoes and all the other Noel Streatfields I have really enjoyed revisiting, and DD liked them too - my only quibble being that she really does recycle her characters quite shamelessly from book to book. Swallows & Amazons too - DH read all 12 to dd as bedtime stories over about a 2 year period, and both dd and lots of her friends really like them (and interestingly the 70s film hasn't dated at all either and is still well worth watching).

Not-so-strangely I suppose the books that still seem to me worth reading are actually the ones that were considered 'classics' all along, on the whole it is the less known works that don't seem to stand up, rather than it being an issue of wordiness. I was still very very disappointed by the Oregon Trail, though grin

gazzalw Fri 28-Dec-12 19:00:34

DW had a very nostalgic vision of the birthday party episode in My Naughty Little Sister from childhood. She was so happy and comforted to revisit it several decades later with DD who couldn't quite believe that two children could eat a whole trifle in one episode of naughtiness! But then she isn't a pudding monster!

judefawley Fri 28-Dec-12 19:03:32

I bought Mrs Pepperpot to read to the kids, in a moment of nostalgia.

We nearly cried; it was so boring.

gazzalw Sat 29-Dec-12 12:00:56

Agree - DW tried the Mrs Pepperpot ones with DD recently and they were rejected after about two stories....

DW has been reading The Naughtiest Girl In School stories to DD recently and they've gone down reasonably well - the culture of high tea with not a fruit or veggie included seems a very alien concept to DCs brought up with the 5 fruits/veggies a day mantra! Also, it's all about being beastly and horrid and then discovering a nicer side to oneself and these issues of bullying, insecurity etc...are sadly still very much with children in the here and now...

EmpressMaud Sat 29-Dec-12 12:09:45

I still like Anne of Green Gables and Ballet Shoes, and the Katy books (excluding Clover and In the High Valley which were always rather ropey), on re reading to my own children.

Blyton, most of Blyton too, not so much.

EmpressMaud Sat 29-Dec-12 12:10:19

We read a Mrs Pepperpot story a night from a bumper book of collected stories, recently. They weren't as wonderful as I remembered, but the children did like them.

shockers Sat 29-Dec-12 12:12:15

I took Swallows and Amazons to read to DS while we were camping on the shores of Windermere.

I still loved it... he fell asleep grin.

BikeRunSki Sat 29-Dec-12 12:13:03

The Mr Men are incredibly tedious and not very well written.

The Beatrix Potter books are so dated that DS struggles to relate to them.

ElfOnTheShelf Sat 29-Dec-12 12:25:33

I also loved Ballet Shoes, White Boots etc as a chid but reading them to my We are now on the last of the Gemma series and are both enjoying them as the chapters are shorter and much easier to read. DH on the other hand finds them dull and reads the naughty little sister books to her instead which we all love and those have never shifted in my mind as anything other than great however it's hard to explain about the coal man to my DD or the chimney sweep smile and the fact little sister goes to school one day with her big sister as mother had an appointment she couldn't take a child to - always wondered what that was perhaps a smear test or similar

labtest Sat 29-Dec-12 21:19:52

When I first read Malory Towers as a child I idolised Darrell. Upon reading them to my daughter I realised what a nasty bad tempered bully she was.

PrideOfChanur Sun 30-Dec-12 13:54:16

Either I have no taste (quite possible!) or I just haven't read enough Mr Men books -on every thread like this posters appear saying how dire they are,but I always rather liked them.
Apart from anything else they are funny,a bit - always a plus at bedtime IMO!

MuddlingMackem Fri 04-Jan-13 21:34:34

It's been a while since I had a re-read of the Little House books, but I do think they've stood up well. DS has read Little House in the Big Woods, but not any further yet. So far all the childhood favourites I've re-read have stood up well, however I haven't read any Enid Blyton since I was about 11 although I still have all of my books from then. Have tried to get DS to try the Famous Five or the Five Find Outers, but he just hasn't bitten yet. From many comments I suspect these will be a major disappointment if I do read them.

I'm trying to find my Swallows and Amazons books, I've got just over half the set, but can't remember where they got packed away. I think DS might actually enjoy those as he and DD recently watched the film of the first book on the telly and enjoyed it. The stumbling block might be the sailing jargon. I loved Biggles books as a youngster and fortunately FIL has quite a few, so both he and I were keen to get DS hooked. We started him on Biggles Learns to Fly when he was in Y2, but he couldn't get past the first half dozen pages. Two years on, after reading a lot of non-fiction about WWI, he raced through it. He just needed to understand the references.

A friend and I were recently discussing modern kids reading books which were already old when we were kids and we agreed that the gap between the books' worlds and our world was big, but many things in the books were still within living memory, albeit our grandparents. Now the gulf is so great, and the kids don't hear such things discussed at all, so a lot of the references are a major stumbling block.

atthewelles Sat 05-Jan-13 10:26:04

The Bobbsey Twins. I found a couple in my mothers attic recently and couldn't get past the first few pages. When I was a kid I used to scour the library for these.

saffronwblue Sat 05-Jan-13 10:34:24

Willard Price is hilarious. When reading them to DS I used to get the giggles because at the moments of great danger- just about to be charged by a croc/tiger/rhino etc- Hal would go into a 5 page lecture about the animal in question. You want to shout at him to shut up and move.

I loved Emily of New Moon and have pressed it upon DD without actually re-reading it myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now