Audio Books for 5 and 8 year old

(23 Posts)
JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 07-Jan-13 21:32:21

Just to update, we spent awhile in the car today and listened to some if the first Mr Gum book. I'd read it to DS a couple of years ago and had forgotten how good it was. Dd loved it too.

Thanks again to everyone who posted smile

JingleJohnsJulie Sat 29-Dec-12 21:20:50

Been to the library today and they are now doing audio book downloads. Sounds good but I need to check it out.

JingleJohnsJulie Fri 28-Dec-12 19:57:26

They all look good thank you. Am so glad I asked smile

Megsdaughter Fri 28-Dec-12 19:23:18

You can find lots of free ones on Librivox

tribpot Fri 28-Dec-12 19:09:49

We had Stephen Fry reading Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (not in person, it is a recording of him!) for a long car journey (ds is 7). It was brilliant, such a lovely thing to listen to together - ds has seen the films, played the games, been to Harry Potter Studios - but never read the books!

Alan Bennett reading Pooh sounds amazing, all the Dahls as well. I was looking for 'Over Sea Under Stone' for him (first book in The Dark Is Rising) but could only find a couple of the later novels on Audible. Including The Grey King, which I love, but I think the dog dying in it would be way too upsetting for him.

JingleJohnsJulie Fri 28-Dec-12 19:04:32

Haven't been back on this thread for a few days. Thank you for the latest suggestions, they look really good wine

neolara Thu 27-Dec-12 23:17:54

These Greek Myths I should have said.

neolara Thu 27-Dec-12 23:16:27

Mr Gum and also the Greek Myths.

nicky1968 Thu 27-Dec-12 23:15:29

Pillywiggins not pellywiggins

nicky1968 Thu 27-Dec-12 23:13:57

Aunt severe and the dragons by Nick Garlick
Pellywiggins and the tree witch by Julia jar an
The Famous Five ones by Enid blyton

StellaNova Thu 20-Dec-12 10:17:21

I was going to say Paddington! How about The Owl Who Was Afraid Of The Dark - although perhaps a bit young for an 8 year old.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 19-Dec-12 21:01:50

Bloody hell, that is a bargain!

Houseworkprocrastinator Thu 13-Dec-12 20:38:38
JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 13-Dec-12 20:17:39

I love Mr Gum and Roald Dahl, why didn't I think of those. Will have a look at he others too. Thank you.

iseetinselandtantrums Thu 13-Dec-12 13:56:13

Sean Bean reading King Arthur is arriving here courtesy of Santa. As is Mr Gum read by the author.

Saker Thu 13-Dec-12 11:05:16

Greek Myths by Geraldine McCaughrean read by Andrew Sachs is brilliant.
The Magical Children stories especially the Invisible Boy and The Boy who could fly.
Puffin books of stories for 5 year olds, 6 year olds etc

SandWitch Wed 12-Dec-12 18:16:53

We got the Roald Dahl CD collection for a series of long car journeys for our 6 and 8 year olds and they LOVE them (actually, so do I)

The best price I have seen around is through Amazon - about £25 including postage.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0013O3B5I/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

They are read by the likes of June Whitfield, Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie and really are worth the money.

wearymum200 Wed 12-Dec-12 18:08:27

Sean Bean reading King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, Just william, chronicles of Narnia, just so stories, johnny morris bedtime stories.

TheMoreItSnows Wed 12-Dec-12 15:31:26

Oooh now here's one I can answer (2 x DD ages 7 and 6), mine love audio books (we order them from the library which saves us lots of money) and they have recently borrowed and really enjoyed the following:

Any of the Sophie books by Dick King-Smith
Mr Stink - David Walliams
Royal Blunder - Henrietta Branford
Batpants - Jeremy Strong
Tatty Apple - Jenny Nimmo
Malory Towers, Famous Five, Secret Seven, The Naughtiest Girl at School etc etc Enid Blyton
My Naughty Little Sister & all the associated stories
The Worst Witch books
Posy Bates - Helen Cresswell
Dog Star - Jenny Nimmo
Mr Majeika - Humphrey Carpenter

We've also got all the Roald Dahl stories on CDs

How's that to start?!

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 12-Dec-12 14:35:49

Thank you both.

tiredteddy Wed 12-Dec-12 14:03:44

My boys ate the same age 5 and 8 we have billionaire boy which they like by walliams but the youngest was scared of ratburger. We have had Matilda by roald Dahl which they both love so are going to try some more by him.

Poledra Wed 12-Dec-12 13:59:22

8-yo DD1 loves Alan Bennett reading Winnie the Pooh - suitable for both your DCs, I would think, and I love it too. His voice is very soothing grin

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 12-Dec-12 13:57:21

DD is 5 and DS is 8. Recently they've enjoyed paddington but I think we've listened to them all now. Are David Walliams and Lemony Snicket too old for DD?

All suggestions gratefully received smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now