Book for child about c section?

(10 Posts)
w1968 Sat 26-Apr-14 11:23:26

Does anyone know whether there are any books written for children to simply explain about c-sections?
Child is 5 years old.

Many thanks

Luise

peeapod Sat 26-Apr-14 16:06:00

sounds like you've found a book that is need of writing..

Igggi Sat 26-Apr-14 16:10:50

I had to explain this to my 5 year old - wasn't very hard to be honest!
Doctor is going to make a hole in mummy's tummy and take the baby out. Then mummy needs a big plaster and she can only play very gently for a couple of months.
Something like that! I think he thinks all babies are born that way though, I'll need to update him at some point.

theborrower Sun 27-Apr-14 21:06:13

I don't know of any, but if DD (3, nearly 4) ever asks how the baby will come out (she's not asked so far!) I will tell her that most babies come out of a hole between mummy's legs, but some babies need help and so a doctor cuts a hole in mummy's tummy and it comes out that way. And I can show her my CS scar. Or something along those lines anyway. I should add in something about the big plaster too, so she understands it will be sore!

Molotov Tue 29-Apr-14 13:38:53

My dd1 was just 3yo when dd2 was born. I explained that the baby had come out of Mummy's tummy (literally) and that was why I had a cut there and was a little sore.

Over the first year of dd2's life, dd1 was curious about the scar, so I explained how the doctor gave me a little cut.

'What with, Mummy?'
'Um ... a ... err'
'Mummy, what with? Scissors?'
'Um, no a knife. But it didn't hurt because I had lots of lovely medicine smile'

Cue my parents presenting dd1 with a toy mummy and baby elephant on dd2's 1st birthday, whilst we were out for a meal. Dd1 promptly re-enacted a cesarean delivery with a butterknife on mamma elephant's tummy grin blush

I could not make it up! My Dad's face was a picture!!

theborrower Tue 29-Apr-14 19:48:23

molotov that's great, made me chuckle grin

weebarra Tue 29-Apr-14 19:52:34

DS1 was 2.8 when DS2 was born. He asked and I explained very simply. He then explained to DS2 who was much the same age when DD was born!

ginmakesitallok Tue 29-Apr-14 19:54:44

Can't you just speak to your child? Why do you need a book?

Writerwannabe83 Thu 01-May-14 12:12:23

My 5 year old niece had an operation when she was a baby and has 2 scars across her tummy. I told her that I was going to have 'a line' just like hers when the baby arrived. She asked me what I meant and I just told her that the doctors had to cut my tummy to get the baby out. She completely accepted it and why wouldn't they at age? Just keep it simple, I don't think there's any need for a book.

Writerwannabe83 Thu 01-May-14 12:13:30

molotov - that's hilarious!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now