ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.
Do I have a real choice? What would you do?(18 Posts)
Apologies in advance for the waffling. I'm,due on Sunday with my 2nd child. So far not even the sniff of anything starting. I have a DS age 2 who has really unstable epilepsy which at the moment has no diagnosis which means he cant walk or crawl very well as a result. This is improving slowly as 3 weeks ago he couldn't roll over.
Anyway, my problem is that i am hoping for VBAC as I really need/want to be home for my other child so we can all be together. I had a horrible induction 1st time & remember crying for hours alone in the ward dining room in the night as my DH wasn't allowed in as i wasn't dilated enough to go to the delivery suite. I also had an epidural at 9am which didn't work and i was still in agony. It wasn't recited and i have no idea why but in the end I had an emergency c section at 11:10pm.
I'm not stubborn or very strong willed but really don't want to be induced. I'm going tomorrow to see my consultant who already wanted to induce my on Sat. My DH can't make this appt so im terrified that i will be forced into an induction. I'm not unreasonable and understand that if a c section is needed then a c section it is.
Also as my DS's condition is undiagnosed we have opted for umbilical cord stem cell collection as a hope for the future. This means time is an issue as our phlebotomist needs at least an hour and a half's notice to get here.
What would you do in my position? All opinions gratefully received x
Inductions are horrible tbh. I wouldnt have one again. However if I had a totally free choice knowing what I know now - I would have a planned C section. I havent got a friend who hasnt had a good experience because its planned, they can make arrangements for other children to be cared for in advance etc.
I had two no c section births and didnt rate them at all!
Looking at your brief notes - I would consider a c section. Of course people will come on quoting all sorts of horror stories but there are horror stories in all sorts of births.
Why do they want to induce you before your due date? That is very odd unless there is a medicall need.
Thanks Handcream its something I had considered but with my DS its the recovery time which puts me off as he relies on me a great deal to get about and wouldn't understand why mummy cant lift him.
RandomMess - I had a bit of a hectic day on Thursday as my DH was away for the evening and I hadn't felt the baby move all day, more than likely as I was running around all day, so I went in for monitoring and all was fine. However, the midwife said as I was term and had been in on one other occasion with reduced movements then induction is the hospital policy. The previous time was more to do with pain as it turned out I had a urine infection, but I guess if something is painful you don't notice the movement as much. If i had known I'd probably have waited a bit longer for baby to move bit this close yo due date and with my MW always stressing the importance of regular movement i didn't want to wait.
Now I think I may have sealed my own fate.
You can refuse induction, it is your call.
I've had 4 inductions, all been different but all worked but the more overdue I was the better they worked.
You could refuse induction and ask to go in for daily monitoring?
I've also been induced 3 times and the 'best' one was where they just went in and were able to just break my waters, had DD 4 hours later and home the same day. Good luck.
Knowing my DS who was induced. He wasnt ready to come out and just clung on! It didnt make for a pleasant experience tbh. I totally agree that the further on you are the better.
Although I have not had a c section I was not able to sit down for a number of days and movement was quite restricted. I had my last son at a private hospital and although I had a normal birth the nurse told me that alot of celebrities have a c section so that they can have a tummy tuck at the same time.... Which is why they spring back to having a flat tummy so quickly.
I had a kind of similar experience to you (although my partner was allowed to stay, and my epidural worked), and I'm also hoping for a VBAC (due next week) as I want the best chance possible of being able to look after my 3 year old rather than having to wait for a CSection to heal.
I've told my consultant that either it all goes naturally (although I'm open to pain relief), or we go to c-section. I will not be induced or augmented again. Perhaps there was something in my voice because that's what's been written in my notes, and we'll meet again at 40, then 41 weeks to make plans.
Their policy doesn't matter. It binds them, not you. If you don't want to be induced, if you feel comfortable with that decision then say no. Perhaps you'll need to say it a couple of times, but you are the one in control here.
I will say that I've found midwives to be much more helpful here (is there a special VBAC midwife at your hospital? Mine has one and she's been brilliant) than the consultants, who just seem to want to tick boxes rather than discuss my individual circumstances
Hospital policy? Very strange.
I am also due on Sunday and also hoping for a VBAC and funnily enough went in for monitoring on Sunday for reduced fetal movements.
I've had none of this wanting to induce early for no reason. I have booked an ELCS for 8 days overdue though. Currently deciding if I want to put that back a bit.
And to echo pp, I've also been told that as a previous section mum, most forms of induction are not recommended. Therefore, it would either be expectant monitoring or ELCS.
Induction carries increased risk of uterine rupture in a trial of Labour after CS. You are not overdue until 42 weeks and even then can opt for expectant management.
When I had my VBAC attempt with dd2 I decided if I got to 42 weeks and things weren't happening still I would opt for ELCS rather than induction. My hospital offered stretch and sweep from 40 weeks then suggested booking ELCS. Some women just take longer to cook their babies, there is a six week range for full term 37-43 weeks.
You can try stretch and sweep if your cervix is favourable, evening primrose oil pessaries, raspberry Leaf Tea, sex, curries, long walks.
I really understand your wish to VBAC, the recovery time for CS is the reason I have opted for trying for a VBA2C for dc3 (due Jan).
Can I ever so quickly high jack this thread and ask if anyone knows if one can just consent to the pessary and sweep part of the induction and then decline the sintocin drip and ARM part for a few days or so? - I'm booked for an induction on weds (at 40+12 after 2 failed sweeps) but am reluctant to accept the drips. Thanks!
Your body, your choice starfish. They cannot do anything without your consent, it would be assault if they did.
Hi there op - it sounds like you have had a really tough time. I sympathise with the recovery time worries - I have a 3 yr old non walker and a now 9 month baby -- it is fine but very physical. Did you manage to get a debrief after your first birth? It sounds traumatic.
I was also very close to induction this time - my ds popped out bang on 42 weeks - I was booked for induction the day after. In your shoes I think I would delay the induction but ask for daily monitoring, and consider inducing if I had any more movement worries. My plan for induction if needed, which my obstetrician was happy with, was to have my waters broken (after a pessary if needed) and them wait 24hrs for things to kick in naturally before starting the drip. This is in line with the guidance on how long you can wait to induce if waters spontaneously rupture.
I hope all goes well for you this time and that you enjoy your growing family - and also that you get answers soon about your son. We have had a diagnosis this year and while it has been hard it has really helped. Very best wishes.
Anyone know of any guidelines around induction for gestational diabetes? I'm 40+1 with very mild GD and obstetrician has been happy to let me go to EDD. Had failed stretch and sweep Friday and now have appointment with obstetrician tomorrow to have the induction chat. Really want to avoid induction or c section. I've had a reasonably healthy pregnancy and GD controlled solely by diet. Both me and my sister were slow cookers and fully anticipated my baby would be too. Just don't think she's ready to come out plus according to scans her growth is bang on average so no big baby on the cards which is the major risk for GD.
Have had Nct teacher and acupuncturist saying I can just not turn up for the induction - my body my baby my choice etc - but I'm a little scared as this is my first baby. While the risks are low there are still risks. Feeling very confused right now....
Induction is not advised where there is a previous section.
I had a VBAC with DD2 after a failed induction with DD1 which resulted in a cascade of interventions and ultimately an emergency section which traumatised me.
Comparing the two, I would go for a VBAC every time. I was up and about within 24 hours and within 4 days was taking DD1 to school with the baby in a sling. Recovery was fantastic.
My birth plan was for VBAC and I did not mention a section.
Had I gone to 42 weeks I would, reluctantly, have had an elective section. As it was, DD2 appeared the day before her due date.
Someone on another forum linked to this article which discusses risks of induction and post-dates (overdue) birth past 42 weeks.
She mentions some interesting statistics about babies born at 43 weeks that make expectant management seem a lot less risky than it is often made to sound.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.