VBAC, age, weight and fitness

(5 Posts)
Xalla Tue 20-Aug-13 19:38:06

I'm thinking about attempting a VBAC after 2 sections; we've recently moved and my new hospital has given me the option. The previous hospital had basically said Section, 38 weeks, non-negotiable!

I'm 34 and expecting number 3. Normal BMI but not particularly fit.

I'll be watching this thread with interest!

Beamae Tue 20-Aug-13 16:19:18

That is the story I wanted to hear! Thank you.

Slw8000 Sun 18-Aug-13 05:40:00

No, I have just had a successful vbac, I am 41, unfit and slightly overweight (booking Bmi of 29).
I had an emergency section with general anaesthetic with my first at 26 weeks pregnant. Very traumatic experience, my ds is now 20 months.
I wanted a vbac but knew I wouldn't be induced so would have to do it on my own. My waters broke at 37+4 and nothing happened so they booked me for an elective section the next day. About 12 hours later I started contracting and went into hospital. I was 4cm dilated when I arrived and progressed really fast, I was fully dilated and pushing within half an hour of being in hospital. I pushed for 15 minutes and she was really distressed her heart rate was 50 (should be 120-160). I pushed her head out but her shoulders got stuck and it became a serious emergency, all of a sudden 15 people in the room all doing something. Luckily she delivered 3 minutes later and was seen by the paediatricians in the room and was fine, just a little shocked. I had only a small tear which was repaired immediately and she was skin to skin and fed immediately.
Yes it was traumatic and more painful at the time as I had no pain relief but so much better than a section. I was home with 12 hours and felt a little sore for a couple of days the recovery was somuch faster and a lot easier to look after my toddler.
Good luck, I would choose vbac again

Beamae Sat 10-Aug-13 04:17:55

Bump!

Beamae Fri 09-Aug-13 18:35:48

Do you have to be fit, energetic and a healthy weight to have a successful VBAC?

I am 39, haven't laboured before, have SPD and am overweight and unfit. Will this affect my chances of a successful VBAC?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now