Seeking advice from people who have successfully refused induction(47 Posts)
I am 40+6 and next week the ball will start rolling with the induction stuff. I've had one sweep and got another booked in on Friday so fingers crossed I'll get started on my own before anything happens.
However, I am very keen to avoid induction unless there is a decent medical reason - I don't think being at 42 weeks alone justifies this.
My midwife was really supportive with this but was still firm about getting me booked in for an induction (next Weds at 41+6 - I'm sure so I can be processed before the weekend )
I do have an appointment with a consultant on Monday to discuss monitoring and alternatives - I just think the insistence of the midwife to book the induction has made me doubt how easy it could be to refuse.
I really, really want a homebirth or at least one as natural as possible and don't want to be induced for the sake of it.
I have heard lots of people say that they would refuse induction and opt for monitoring but was wondering if people have actually got to that stage? If so, how much were you harangued by medical professionals and how far over did you go before going into labour?
Like I said, I know I have time yet but just want to be as prepared as possible for this so would like to hear stories - again if there is any medical reason to do so, I would go for induction but so far I have had an amazingly easy and healthy pregnancy and would like to continue naturally as much as possible.
Sorry for waffling - thanks loads.
Bog, I would report your post to MNHQ and ask them to move it to childbirth as that is where you will probably get the best replies to this.
I went to 40+15 and the hospital were happy(ish) but only on the basis that I believed the hospital dates put me 5 days further on than I actually was. I did get some hassle, but I explained I was about 98% sure. By my dates I was only 40+7 when I went into labour naturally.
I had two sweeps to try to move things along and went into labour a few hours after the second. From around 40+14 iirc I had to go into hospital for monitoring with traces and had a us to check on amniotic fluid levels and that the umbilical cord was still working properly. I would insist on the monitoring.
I would recommend that you read the NICE guidance On management of overdue labour. It sets out the full risks and protocol hospitals adhere to and why.
Ps I was allowed to labour in the pool even at 40+15
Thanks loads for this Wouldbe - I also wondered a little about my dates as I basically got pregnant immediately after a miscarriage at 9 weeks. I was dubious about my dates as it seemed too soon and was all a little confusing! I will certainly read the NICE guidelines and really happy to hear that you managed to have the birth you wanted at 40+15. Fingers crossed - just need to conserve energy so I can be strong!
How long did your monitoring appointments take? Were they daily?
Glad the info helps!
Daily and about an hour to 2 hours iirc because there were lots of different bits of the hospital to go to.
Oh and bog I'm really sorry to hear about your mc. I was also pg after mc.
We have moved this for you = VERY best of luck with the impending arrival
No doubt you'll get lots of good replies now, op
Bog you do need to be prepared to be assertive I was put under lots of pressure in my last pregnancy -due to my waters breaking and no contractions.
But it is absolutely your decision to make - you might like to read my current thread on this as I have been given lots of good advice - although mine is for different reasons.
Thanks so much Living. I spent until the early hours this morning reading guidance and your thread + links. Went to bed just after one and my plug went in the night. Seems I may well be in labour now - mild contractions every ten minutes or so. Well excited so going to bake a cake before settling down on my ball with some DVDs
Thanks again for advice and hope it goes well for you - can you insist on a Sweep before DD - seems it has got things moving for me after all
Bog, how exciting - remember to rest in the early stages when you can and good luck
When you have a chance please do come back and post on here about your birth.
Thanks Wouldbe, will certainly keep people updated. Trying not to think about all the things we haven't done yet and thing of nice gentle pottering I can do with my day.
How exciting good luck bog
Good luck bog - hope you are in full labour soon.
Hope you don't mind me jumping on with a related question but its along the same lines rather than starting another induction thread.
Have just had a meltdown and full on tears at my midwife appointment (am 40+5) regarding what happens next week. I seem to have an (irrational?) fear of induction, because of the chance it leads to more pain than a regular birth, hence epidural, hence episiotomy and forceps or EMCS, etc. Its really stressing me out and I think I would prefer a calm planned ELCS for 40+12 rather than an induction on that day. The midwife couldn't make that call so I now have an appointment at 2.15 with the consultant, but she has warned me that its unlikely they will support that idea and should expect pressure to have me booked in for an induction.
Any thoughts/comments on what i'd like to do and/or advice to prepare for this consultant meeting?.
you can refuse an induction,ost are happy to go to 14 days as long as you are low risk.Also you can go later than that,just ask for monitoring,if its sure you want to then demand it,its not up to them its up to you!
Hey Stuck - things seem to have annoyingly slowed down this end but hopefully will ramp up again soon.
I have an appointment with a consultant on Monday if things haven't happened by then. My midwife said she had made an effort to get me in with the consultant related to home births as I am keen to guarantee this if possible. Could you ask if there is a consultant who might be sympathetic to your fears rather than just assigning any old one - not quite sure how these thigns work, but would be good to get a balanced picture.
As people have mentioned on other threads, a good approach seems to be always asking the alternative, i.e. what are the risks of being induced vs not being induced to get balanced answers. Good luck, sorry I'm a bit waffly now!
Hi stuck and bog,
I refused induction with dc1 until 42 weeks and just went for regular monitoring. At 42 weeks i got a bit freaked and accepted induction. Here we have a midwife whose brief is 'normality' and she's brilliant - her influence has made things a lot more humane here. You can ask for a meeting with the supervisor of midwives and work out a pathway but be clear on what you will / won't be able to accept. Inductions have to be followed through once started and you are on a clock. Some inductions are just the same as 'normal' labour though and not plenty of women have found an induced labour easier than a non induced one - sometimes just tips you over and speeds things up a bit. Don't feel pressured, just keep an open mind, be clear about your limits and absolutes and remember at the end of the day it's your decision - good luck
Thanks for the advice everyone - really helped as I was in a right state!
The chat with the consultant went really well in the end and we had a long chat about exactly what happens in inductions and the potential interventions when they don't progress. In the end I was happy to book in for an induction next Thursday on the proviso that if I'm not happy I can change my mind and cancel at any time.
But extra news, while I was there they managed to get their most experienced registrar to do a successful sweep (my cervix is very posterior and baby is so low that all previous attempts failed) and I'm awake on MN at this time because irregular contractions started about 2 hours ago!
Bog - really sorry things have slowed down but I've got my fingers crossed that they pick back up for you... Good luck x
Woohoo that's great news Stuck and guess the reason I'm up at this time as well... I've been in the bath since about 2 am and contractions seem to be about 5 mins apart. Back on land now and got some relaxation CDs on and a chammomle tea in the hope I can snooze a bit. Good luck, hope everything goes well.
That's fab news - will be thinking of you!
mine seem to be averaging at every 10 mins, am off to make a cuppa and make sure there's enough hot water in the tank for a bath later!
Hi everyone, can I add a different point of view?
Why do you think hospitals offer induction?
It's not to piss you off.
It's because of the 'outcome' after 42 weeks.
Have to be blunt here- so many babies die.
Even with daily monitoring, mother is totally healthy etc the stats are awful.
This is a case of your needs coming second. Sorry.
Milktray "so many babies die" is not true and doesn't take into account the fact that of the babies who do die, some would have died anyway. Going overdue by a very long time can be a symptom rather than a cause IYSWIM.
Because hospitals insist on induction before or at 42 weeks there is no longer a large number of long overdue births to study making it hard to get reliable stats.
IMO I tend to trust my body/instincts rather than a date which is not tailored to me.
Bog, hope it all speeds up soon. I tried for a home birth with DS and went 18 days overdue. I had a lot of pressure from hospital to induce and had daily scans etc... He was fine but didn't end up with the home birth as he took 40 hours to come, was positioned in a very strange way, I didn't allow VEs either so they didn't know what was going on and thought it best to go to hospital after 30 hours. This I agreed with, like you, I am not opposed to medical intervention when necessary.
Good luck, sounds like you'll have baby in your arms soon enough!
Are you sure of your dates?
If you are not you may have some leeway - perhaps they say you are 41 but in fact you suspect you may be 40 + 3
If you know when you conceived as some of us desperate souls do and you get towards 42 weeks trust them. There is a reason why stillbirths dropped over 30% since the induction by 42 became routine
It may not end up as the birth experience you planned but surely what matters is the end result. In fact more often then not we can't control what our births will be like. Out of 8 of us in my nct group, none turned out 'ideal' but we had 8 happy babies to show for it.
It's unpredictable - a trial run for 18 plus years living with a child who has a mind and ideas of their own.
I have a friend (fellow homebirther) who refused induction.
she went to 43 weeks then SHE made the decision that she would allow her waters to be ruptured artifically, which HAD to be done in hospital.
she went with erh doula and only agreed to it on the grounds she was allowed to transfer from labour ward to MLU downstiars... it was agreed but after her doula had to fight hard to get this to happen
she gave birth to an over 11lb baby in the MLY and went home within 6 hours.
at the end of the day if you refuse to sign a consent form, they cant make you be induced
There is a reason why stillbirths dropped over 30% since the induction by 42 became routine
Have they? I thought this was one thing which hadn't changed much in the last 20 or so years.
Join the discussion
Please login first.