Anyone been induced 1st time around and then gone into labour by themselves 2nd time around? Pls give me some hope!

(49 Posts)
sw11mumofone Tue 05-Mar-13 10:08:09

Hi
I'm five days overdue and will be induced this time next week if nothing happens. I was induced with DD1 at 42+2. There was no way she was coming out by herself. And had a pretty horrible birth too. This time feels a bit different. Had one sweep on Thursday and lost mucous plug in the few days that followed. Due another one today or tomorrow. Getting the odd few braxton hicks and period pains, but not much.
Desperate not to be induced again. Did all the things they recommend last time but to no avail.
Has anyone been really late and induced with DC1 and then gone into spontaneous labour the second time around? If I'm not seeing any signs by now do you think I need to resign myself to another induction in a week's time. Starting to feel a bit desperate.
Thanks.

Meloncita Tue 05-Mar-13 21:47:27

Another yes, DC2 10 days late, 2 days before induction. Amazingly easy and straightforward delivery after the horrendous complications brought on by induction of DC1.

It may just be coincidence but I used clary sage essential oil which was recommended by a reflexologist I saw. I was unable to have any sweeps as my cervix was still posterior but I put some clary sage in the bath and then put some drops on a damp facecloth and laid it on my tummy whilst watching TV in bed. Next morning had a show and gave birth that night. Good luck!!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 05-Mar-13 21:50:28

I was induced with ds1 at 42+5 with ds1' ds2 arrives of his own accord on his EDD!

Good luck OP

Xx

olivertheoctopus Tue 05-Mar-13 21:54:25

Yep. Induced with DS1 at 41+3 (could've waited til 41+6 but didn't know better at the time and just wanted over with) and it was hideous (30ish hrs, epidural, ventouse, grade 3 mec, NICU, SCBU, retained placenta). AWFUL. DS2 arrived of his own accord 10 mins after walking into delivery room at 40+4 after about 2/3 hours labour. Don't lose heart. I will NOT be induced with this one, I will be difficult if necess, hopefully it won't be.

sw11mumofone Tue 05-Mar-13 21:58:10

Thanks for the continued positive stories. They are making me feel like it could just happen.

Narmada - your posts are really making me laugh. Might have to pm you when I do start getting those "i would saw my own leg off without anaesthetic if it would end now" type contractions so you can tell me how the hell you got through them and then call them "poxy"!!!

sw11mumofone Tue 05-Mar-13 22:01:08

Might also have to look into the Clary sage oil....

fertilityagogo Tue 05-Mar-13 22:02:46

Another one here! Induced for DC 1 at 42 weeks.

DC2 arrived in a big hurry at 40+6.

I swear by acupuncture/acupressure for this, give it a try? (And generally I'm not really an 'acupuncture type' person!!)

Good luck

SunnyUpNorth Wed 06-Mar-13 08:29:04

Another here!

Dd induced at 40+14 after 5 sweeps and trying every trick in the book. Had a horrible time which I too have mostly blocked out. She eventually arrived by emcs at 40+16 as I only got to 3cm.

Ds is now 9 weeks old. I was booked in for an ELCS at 40+7 as I refused to go through induction again. Went into labour the night before and he was born two days later. Was a much, much better experience and recovery. He is also a much easier baby and I wonder how much if that is down to a simpler birth.

I did have to have syntocinon again briefly as things slowed down for a few hours around 5cm but I had an epidural by then and only needed to kick start the contraction again so it was fine.

I didn't bother with any sweeps, pineapples, raspberry leaf tea etc this time I just resigned myself to 'what will be will be' and it worked!

Good luck.

Hopskipper Sat 09-Mar-13 11:15:34

Yes! Induced with first - second - totally by myself x

Me too. Induced on due date first time. 1 week over second time. Was going in that morning for a final sweep before they booked me in for induction. Bumped into the mw from MATAU on the way into delivery so was able to tell her I wouldn't be in for my sweep grin

Induced 40+15 for dd1.
Spontaneous births for dd2 at 40+4 and dd3 40+7.

Dearly hope your labour gets going soon, can identify with how you're feeling now. Good luck OP.

Two weeks over with ds and two weeks early with dd.
Massive surprise with dd I can tell you but on the day she came I had what I thought were braxton hicks all day and my c section scar was really sore. My waters broke while i was having tea and I had another emcs.

squidkid Sun 10-Mar-13 08:10:51

You haven't posted in 5 days!! I hope that means... you know! xx

sw11mumofone Sun 10-Mar-13 09:46:43

Hi. Squidkid its not for the reason you think. I had a final sweep on thursday and that afternoon things seemed to kick off. Was pacing around with my tens machine chuffed to bits. Then suddenly started to feel really ill. To cut a v long story short I was told to get to hospital where they have done loads of tests which im still awaiting the results of. Am on a drip for iv antibiotics and they are guessing at the moment it could be swine flu! So im having a lovely time shaking with fever whilst still contracting and praying this baby stays put till i have the energy to push it out!!

squidkid Sun 10-Mar-13 10:17:33

Oh man. So sorry to hear that. Hope they're taking good care of you. Rest as much as you can with nurses taking your blood pressure in the middle of the night...

narmada Sun 10-Mar-13 10:34:02

Oh no. You poor thing sad . Hope you and baby ok.

narmada Sun 10-Mar-13 10:48:53

Are you on antivirals eg relenza?

sw11mumofone Sun 10-Mar-13 15:06:50

Im worried about the baby in case the infection has crossed over. but it seems to be ok as far as they can tell. The care has been very good so far. The plan at the moment is still to induce me on tuesday. Contractions have slowed right down. Apparently your body is very good at dealing with one problem at a time.
Im taking tamiflu and antibiotics till they know what it is.
Just terrified of giving birth with this little energy. Nearly passed out earlier just standing in the shower!

artifarti Sun 10-Mar-13 15:11:48

Thinking of you sw11 and sending you lots of love and luck for Tuesday. The body is an amazing thing and will do what it needs to do. Rest up and let us know how you get on. x

EeyoresGloomyPlace Sun 10-Mar-13 15:17:47

Dd1 was induced at 15 days late, I hadn't even had a twinge before so God only knows when she'd have turned up otherwise. It was a pretty horrible experience so I was feeling the same as you when expecting dd2.

Dd2 went 13 days over but I did feel more 'ready' and at each of three sweeps I was slightly more dilated, also had a show which I didn't first time round.

Anyway I did have to go in for induction but all they did was break my waters as I was 3cm when I got in and having mild contractions, after waters were broken she was born within a coupe of hours, lovely natural labour in the birth pool.

Don't despair, I got really miserable waiting on the ward for my 2nd induction thinking well that's it times run out, I could have kissed the midwife when she said I was already starting and off I could pop to the birth centre grin

I tried reflexology second time round, no way of proving if it helped or not but was relaxing all the same!

Good luck!

EeyoresGloomyPlace Sun 10-Mar-13 15:23:08

Oh gosh just read up thread, hope things are ok sw11 and you get your strength back very soon. thanks

sw11mumofone Sun 10-Mar-13 17:11:37

Thank you everyone. I appreciate all the kind wishes. I will update back here with news next week x

artifarti Tue 12-Mar-13 10:40:29

Hope you are feeling better and that if you are induced today, all goes well. A newborn baby, how exciting smile

sw11mumofone Tue 19-Mar-13 18:35:07

Hi,
Just an update as promised - sorry it has taken me a while to get back. I was induced last Tuesday as planned, despite having very little energy and still being quite ill. And despite all the positive stories above regarding second inductions, mine was still as long and arduous as the first one!
However, 2 days later on Thursday last week I gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. And the second horrible induction has already disappeared from my memory! I am sitting here typing this with him fast asleep on me. Worth every second of the long labour.
Thanks again for all the positive stories. Good luck to all of you still pregnant.
xxx

narmada Tue 19-Mar-13 19:53:06

So glad your lovely boy arrived safe and sound, here's to forgettimg hideous induction number two. What a shame it had to be that way, but no matter, he's here now and I bet you won't be doing that again in a hurry grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now