bottle feeding mums wdyd at night?

(34 Posts)
chocorocco Sat 29-Dec-12 17:34:27

just wondered what ppl do re. night feeds?

MrsMushroom Tue 01-Jan-13 10:52:39

I used to make up the bottles with cooled boiled water and then use an Avent formula dispenser to make up a bottle as and when required. DDs both had their bottles room temp so no heating them up. V easy.

ThreeBoostsOneGalaxy Tue 01-Jan-13 10:56:34

OK, I'm totally wrong. DH has just informed me that there is a bug that babies can get from the powder. When we had ours, no one really knew about it, which is why we used the method we used. The current advice is to make up the feeds as instructed (water over 70 degrees on mixing) or use cartons when this isn't practical.

sunnyday123 Tue 01-Jan-13 10:57:19

I always made up in advance- about 3 at a time. Never had any problems. As long as your using good hygiene when making them up. I asked the midwife why the rules changed (from one child to my next) and she explained that the main issue is that any germs passed on during the making of the bottles had hours to multiply then in the fridge. Even she said its fine to make in advance if you are very careful when making them.

sunnyday123 Tue 01-Jan-13 10:58:28

She also said adding powder to cooled water was the very worst thing you could do- much worse than making in advance!

sunnyday123 Tue 01-Jan-13 11:05:27
milkymocha Tue 01-Jan-13 11:08:47

2 bottles filled half way with boiled water, flask of hot water, 2 dispensers of pre-measured milk.

Baby wakes i pour the flask water into the bottle of now cooled water, add the powder and feed.

Have been doing this for 3 years and no problemssmile

harrygracejessica Tue 01-Jan-13 11:46:30

But I don't get then why one milk powder says its safe yet it's not for any other when they all go through the same storing of them.

My midwife and HV knew I did it and said although its not the rules it's unlikely to make them ill, plus with twins everything is extra times and I didn't have time to cool bottles with 2 babies screaming!!

chocorocco Tue 01-Jan-13 18:38:45

i think at the moment I'll carry on making fresh as and when. he's only on 4oz so it takes as long to cool down as it does to warm up.

so many different ways to do it and lots of people told different things.

forevergreek Tue 01-Jan-13 21:39:21

4oz as you say is small, run the bottle under cold water once its made fresh and it will cool down quickly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now