ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.
If ELCS booked and baby comes early, still automatically CS?(10 Posts)
So, if I go ELCS on a named date (eg 39/40w) but baby decides to come early. WIll I still be able to go straight to CS when I get to hospital. (By straight, I don't mean demand they do it that hour, I mean not be forced/encouraged/expected to do VB first)
Anyone with experience of this?
I don't know the official line, but when this happened to a friend of mine she still had a CS. It probably depends on lots of factors, not least the reasons for you having a CS in the first place and the theatre list that day. I'd imagine they'd so all they could to give you one??
This happened to me because they messed up on booking me in and triple booked! So had to reschedule my ELCS for 1 day after my due date as that was the only date available (because I was due 30th Dec and they had triple booked the 20th but that was the last day they booked ELECs with it being the Xmas period!!!)
As is just typical I went into labour 3 days before due date so phoned labour unit immediately and said I was coming down straight away without giving them option to not let me..when I arrived and for quite a while after they tried to persuade me to go VBAC but I stood my ground as my first birth was v traumatic and I couldn't face going through the panic/stress/upset again.
Eventually they agreed a CS but I had to wait several hours as they had no theatres/staff free due to "true emergencies" as they so nicely put it So all I can say is stand up for yourslf and don't be pushed around or made to feel guilty. Its your body, your baby and your choice. Not theirs.
Sorry if this sounds like a rant..I am still bitter about it as there were other factors that they messed up on to during my preg..Hope goes better for you though
They should have discussed this with you when booking your ELCS. My plan was that if labour was proceeding v rapidly and not breech I would attempt a vb, otherwise they would do an "emergency" ELCS. If this hasn't been covered discuss it with your midwife or consultant, it's important.
I just had this. Elcs booked for 39'weks, waters went on a Saturday (so only one theatre open - large london hospital). Because I was booked for elcs no one made any attempt to convince me to go VBAC. I just had to get in the queue behind two emergencies.
Baby had other ideas though and I fully dilated before the heater was free so surgery all became a bit pointless. First labour went to emcs (though no one in distress) due to failure to progress after who days so the speedy labour was a bit of a shock to the system. I opted for csection as devil I knew and didn't fancy a re-run of my first birth. I don't regret the vbac experience, had great midwives and it was a positive experience. I'm not particularly hung up on giving birth naturally though so long as the "Outcome" is "Live". Finding that on your release notes puts it all into perspective :-)
Having had both though I can safely say that the recovery is quite similar so far. Just different bits hurt. :-(
I went into labour before my elcs. I went straight in where they offered to examine me (I said no having had a previous natural birth I knew I was some way off) they offered gas and air and I had to wait til after the emergencies but at no point was vb ever mentioned they just kept coming into check / reassure me.
Probably depends on reasons for booking the CS but I was booked to have one for medical reasons and was told that if I went into labour beforehand just to come in asap and it would be an emergency section. Ask and make sure you know what the procedure is.
As the others say, it depends on the circumstances. With my second they didn't want me labour on my scar because it's a special scar so high risk, but I always go into premature labour. The plan was that when I went in they would leave me as long as possible and give me a crash section, but we already had the paperwork done for an elective.
If it's possible for you to labour then it will depend on what else is going on, there have been people who have had a VB because they went into labour before their date and they weren't able to get them into theatre. If my third had been planned to be a section I would still have had a VBAC because every theatre was occupied and by the time they got to me it would have been far too late. Fortunately I had planned a VBAC.
Thanks for all your stories and advice ladies. I'm not booked in yet, as I'm only 17 weeks. I'm anticipating the consultant appt to start talking options and risks due to a scar on my uterus from surgery for a rare ectopic last year before we got pregnant with this one.
I will ask about our hospital procedures - and there are two birthing hospitals in our trust, so I may ask for the procedures for both in case they are different.
I''m booked for an ECS in two weeks, growyourown77.
My consultant told me that if I were to go into labour before that date, I'd still be able to have the section. She asked me to get to the hospital as soon as possible after going into labour, as it'll (obviously) be easier for a section to be performed before I'm too dilated.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.