This topic is for discussing car seats. If you want to buy and sell car seats, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Rear facing seat after 9kg...

(17 Posts)

Just want to tell everyone about these as we have just bought one (britax 2 way elite) after researching the best seat for our DS (8 months) to move into. They are 5 times safer than the forward facing seats due to the forces exerted on babies necks and chests in a crash.

After looking into it a bit, I'm so surprised that the UK don't have them more widely available and the government don't push them on parents!

The one we got will last DS until he's 25kg or around 5 years grin

We have the BeSafe IziCombi X3 (good up to 18kg). We bought ours as yes, rear-facing is 5x safer, but, will qualify that with; 5 times safer in head-on and side-on collisions.

We do a lot of motorway and dual carriageway driving so made sense for us. RF doesn't necessarily make sense for people who mainly do suburban or city driving though.

Ooo, now I'm wondering if we made the right decision. We do intend to do more motorway driving. However, thinking about it, if someone crashed into the back of our car then presumably DS would be better off in a forward facing? IME in 10 years driving I've never crashed head on/side on, but have had 2 people crash into the back of me!

Also, in rear end crash we are more likely to be stationary which presumably increase the force on us and make it a worse outcome for DS confused

PeazlyPops Sat 02-Mar-13 22:35:20

Watching with interest... We have the besafe izi combi x3 but mostly do city driving..

MoreSnow - sorry, didn't mean to stress you - I don't think RF is worse than FF in a rear-end collision, just not a huge amount better.

nocake Sat 02-Mar-13 22:44:31

Rear end collisions, even if you're stationary, are generally less severe than front end collisions. In a front end collision you could go from 70mph to zero very quickly. That will never happen in a rear end collision (unless you reverse very fast grin). The worst that can happen is someone hits you at high speed but that will result in you going from zero to maybe 30mph.

The upshot is... rear facng seats protect your LO from the most severe and most common accidents.

Don't worry, I realise I can't wrap.him in cotton wool, I could always walk everywhere if was that worried!

I was just thinking aloud really, imagining the forces in my head and thought that rear end crash would be worse as it's just mirrored and so I would imagine 5 times safer to be in a forward facing in that situation!

The lady we bought from in the shop said 49% of crashes were head on

Do you know why they are better in side on crashes? I can't imagine a difference there?

Good point nocake !

Hadn't thought about it like that. I just imagined the situation on a motorway when a sudden jam appears and everyone brakes madly and I can just see the 10 car pile up headlines. So effectively a RF seat in a rear end crash would be as safe as a front facing seat in a head on collision at 30mph.

According to this site the additional side impact proctection is to do with the impact forces pushing the child further back into the seat, but I can't find anywhere comparing why this would be more likely in an RF than an FF for a side impact. Will update if I do come across any data on it.

Interesting. Feel I have made the right decision then!

Still baffled as to why it is so hard to get hold of them here and the government don't seem to do anything to at least promote them, let alone make them compulsory!

lagoonhaze Sun 03-Mar-13 16:06:25

You have definately made the right choice. Roll on when isize regs come in and make RF complusory til 15mths ( a small step in right direction)

lagoon hadn't heard about that do you know when regulations are coming in?

lagoonhaze Sun 03-Mar-13 20:39:08

They were planned for early part of this year but now expected by end of year.

www.anec.eu/attachments/ANEC-TRAF-2012-G-034.pdf

lagoonhaze Sun 03-Mar-13 20:53:31

Hmm...says the seats must be ISOFIX the rear facing seat we just bought isn't ISOFIX! They said it's just as safe when installed properly so not worried about that as they installed it for us. They are going to have to flood the market with RF seats pretty quickly if the regulations are coming in in June as there were only 2 choices for us for belted rear facing seats. All the ISOFIX RF seats went up to only 18kg but he belted one we got is up to 25kg which is why we bought that. DS is already 10kg at 8 months so 18kg seat wouldn't last long!

lagoonhaze Mon 04-Mar-13 18:22:54

dont worry its a phased change and things arent changing straight away for a while.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now