Lightweight family tents?

(14 Posts)
casper77 Wed 27-Feb-13 18:05:53

Actually, just looking again and found the Gelert Tornado 5, which is just 6.3kg and £100ish. Seems to have really good reviews too - I'm going to get one!

casper77 Wed 27-Feb-13 17:51:46

I have the same issues, as we prefer not to own a car. The Vango Zeal 500 looks good - http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/tents/p/Vango-Zeal-500/2659. You can get it for around £100 and it weighs 8kg.

cyclecamper Sun 17-Feb-13 22:02:44

Nospringflower I'm looking into the same thing, due to a surprise arrival expected in June. We are usually cycle campers but that is going to be tricky this year. I also lust after the Laser space, but don't run to it.

We have a cheapo vis-a-vis made by High Point which we bought before my stepson was happy to go in his own tent. Unfortunately they don't seem to sell them anymore and ours has a broken pole, which is currently taped, but I don't really want to risk it. Tesco do a similar one that is a bit heavier.

Moredofbumsnet Tue 12-Feb-13 14:29:22

This weighs a bit more but is a lot cheaper. There is a slightly smaller one too. Are you actually hiking with it or is it staggering from the bus stop you were thinking of? If you're carrying it a long way then maybe you need to sacrifice the living area for weight loss, if not then 8 kilos of tent is not bad.Vango never cost their rrp so shop about.

We have a Trisar that we got about 20 years ago. Now looking at the Laser Space 5 and the Monsoon 6.

troutsprout Mon 11-Feb-13 22:10:44

I lust after them too. I think they are fantastic.

I do love Terra Nova / Wild Country too. The decathlon ones are great but 13Kg and I'm a wimp grin

Thanks - the Monsoon 6 one looks good and at 7.8 isn't too bad. Just when you compare 5 kg and tony pack size (£££+) it's hard to decide.

troutsprout Sun 10-Feb-13 22:33:15

Monsoon 6 is 7 kg I think ... Too heavy?

Kahlua4me Sun 10-Feb-13 21:43:01

We have a 4 berth Decathlon pop up that I can carry easily. It has rucksack straps on it.

There are 5 of us - I can get one that's the same make as our 2 person tent and only weighs 5 kg but its £900 (or £600 if we buy one that's a 'second'). Was hoping for something cheaper ... smile

zumo Sun 10-Feb-13 20:08:08

I doubt it
I feel you would be best with couple of small tents.
Or see if the campsite will let you post your tent to them.

troutsprout Sun 10-Feb-13 19:23:40

How many people ?

Does anyone have a lightweight family tent that they can carry eg if going camping without a car? Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now