have stopped bd 13mo ds but still have a tonne of milk

(7 Posts)
neilsharvest Sun 17-Aug-14 12:54:18

Please offer advice if you went through this. I stopped bf two weeks ago - had dropped to just one quick morning feed. Ds is fine and doesn't seem to miss it at all but I do feel sad about it.

I have a blocked duct in my left breast and both are full lumpy and a bit uncomfortable. Have hand expressed for the last few days on advice of hv but just ferl like my boobs are bavk to new born levels of production. Clearly my body and my heart aren't ready to stop but ds is and my head tells me it is right to stop.

He now sleeps through which is lovely so I have no intention of going back but do I get through this phase?

Sorry for ramble- hoping to find some understanding as none in rl.

neilsharvest Sun 17-Aug-14 12:55:26

Opps title should read bf!

DoItTooJulia Sun 17-Aug-14 12:59:14

If you're sure, you just need to ride it out. I used Savoy cabbage leaves in my bra, ibuprofen to help with the swelling, Luke warm showers and knowing I'd feel like crap for a couple of days. It does pass. It took a week of that for me.

Watch for mastitis though, or the blocked duct becoming a problem. Don't be afraid to go to get checked out, keep an eye on yourself.

Expect hormonal feelings too! I was a bit tearful! I have heard that sudafed helps dry up milk, but I didn't use it. (Not recommending sudafed, just passing on the anecdote!)

Best of luck.

neilsharvest Sun 17-Aug-14 14:29:59

Thanks Julia. Def feeling hormonal. Have just taken ibuprofen. It's sad isn't it. Will try cabbage too. Really appreciate your message :-)

Azquilith Sun 17-Aug-14 14:31:18

I am sto

Azquilith Sun 17-Aug-14 14:32:25

I am stopping bf on Tuesday as I have to go away with work. DS is 18 months and cosleeps so looking forward to not being drained dry all night but a bit sad as well. Offers hand smile

DoItTooJulia Sun 17-Aug-14 17:01:05

Ah, honey, bloody hormones!

Good luck Azquilith too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now