Using Formula for Special Occasions vs expressing

(4 Posts)
Cheffie100 Tue 10-Sep-13 08:17:24

I'm going to a wedding at the end of October and my sister will be looking after dd.

My dd is currently 11 weeks old and my milk supply seems to have settled to just the right amount. How do I go about expressing extra to freeze for days when I'm not about without my daughter going short that day?

Is it ok to use formula for the odd day? How do I go about that?

Bunnychan Tue 10-Sep-13 09:18:09

My LO is 14 weeks and sleeps through so I wake up engorged and leaking so I've been feeding from one side and expressing off the other. Then I keep a couple from the week and freeze the rest as I'm building a store for when I return to work. I find its the easiest time for me. You're LO should still get milk after; I feed on the side I've expressed from at the next feed as I want to ensure that breast is drained fully and I swap which side I express off each morning. This is what works for me but it might not work for you. HTH x

SunnyIntervals Tue 10-Sep-13 09:24:34

I expressed bm and it worked brilliantly for me - expressed just a little every morning after his first feed post getting up, stashed it in the fridge and defrosted it for the day!

I read up on using ff for the odd day because I was considering it, but then decided not to when I read about the 'virgin gut' - bm forms a protective seal for the intestines whereas even small amounts of ff or solids can sensitise the intestines leading to an increased risk of allergies later. Bm can repair the gut if you ebf for 2 weeks following a ff, according to a study i read, but I decided I would rather stick with ebf and get a much reduced risk of allergies for DS.

Hope you have a great time smile

SunnyIntervals Tue 10-Sep-13 09:25:37

This is the link you need:

kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/milkstorage/

Do you have a pump?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now