hayfever and breast feeding ???

(12 Posts)
Facelikeafriendlyapple Tue 18-Jun-13 16:41:26

Is there anything you can take for hayfever when bfeeding? My sneezes keep waking the baby. Not good.

Sympathies.

Short answer: yes. Ask a pharmacist for recommendations. In the meantime, reduce exposure by not line-drying bedclothes, your tops, or baby's clothes; also smear Vaseline around your eyes and nostrils to catch pollen before it can get in.

HadALittleFaithBaby Tue 18-Jun-13 16:44:22

There are quite a few. Nasal sprays are generally ok -beconase and Prevalin. You can ask the GP to prescribe some. If you're going to take antihistamines non drowsy are better than drowsy.

TheCountessOlenska Tue 18-Jun-13 16:45:33

Piriton is fine, I took it while pregnant.

Facelikeafriendlyapple Tue 18-Jun-13 17:42:50

Thanks all. Had v unhelpful chat with pharmacist who refused to sell me anything without prescription and can't face inevitable 10 day wait for GP appointment. Good tip re vaseline Horry and congrats (saw your thread)

TwitchyTail Tue 18-Jun-13 18:43:50

Just avoid anything with decongestants eg pseudoephedrine, as these can dry up milk supply.

abi2790 Tue 18-Jun-13 21:50:35

I sympathise with you. My hay fever has been awful today! Pharmacist gave me antihistamenes that are okay to take whilst breastfeeding. Loratadine they're called. I think he said they can cause a little drowsiness in baby but when I have taken them I haven't noticed any in ds. As for nasal sprays I think most are unsafe so I was prescribed sterimar which is just a salt water solution but I hate it!

TwitchyTail Wed 19-Jun-13 11:53:06

Here you go:

www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/2460.aspx?categoryid=54&subcategoryid=129

Basically, cetirizine or loratadine if topical treatments aren't effective - both cheap as chips if you buy generic.

Just gave my DS the fright of his life with a massive pantomime sneeze while he was peacefully drifting off on boob grin

leedy Wed 19-Jun-13 18:00:33

Nasal sprays are fine - I was prescribed Avamys (the prescription version of Flixonase) for my hay fever and doctor said it was perfectly safe for BF, also that cetirizine and loratidine are ok.

Facelikeafriendlyapple Fri 21-Jun-13 10:16:57

Thanks all. V helpful. smile

MissLurkalot Sat 22-Jun-13 04:26:41

I take Loradatine and Cetrizine,

http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/dibm/Antihistamines_and_Breastfeeding_March_2009.pdf

MissLurkalot Sat 22-Jun-13 04:27:07

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now