dummies. ..

(5 Posts)
munchkinmaster Tue 21-May-13 07:28:29

I have to say I managed to 4 days then stuck the dummy in. Bf was fine. One year on.. Still bf and utterly addicted to the dummy. It was a life saver at the time. Perhaps I did miss feeding cues overnight but my baby was literally up all night and we needed to change something.

HadALittleFaithBaby Tue 21-May-13 07:04:08

I think the recommendations are to wait til they're at least 3 weeks so you don't miss feeding cues from baby. My DD is 5 weeks and even though she'll take a bottle she won't take a dummy most of the time!

Mummabubbles Tue 21-May-13 05:58:35

We gave dd a dummy at about a week old mainly to discourage thumb sucking which she was doing from birth. She is ebf, now 8 weeks old and dummy has never caused any issues with feeding. She only uses it to settle for naps and at night. Still tries to suck thumb occasionally!

sitzonhandz Tue 21-May-13 05:50:53

Dd1 had a dummy from 6 weeks and it didn't affect her bfing. Ds1 refused a dummy point blank. Dd2 was tube fed, and scbu desperately tried to teach her to suck using a dummy, but she didn't ever really take to it.

So, out of three, the only successful dummy kid was the first. It was an absolute lifesaver for me though. She didn't sleep at all (didn't nap at all in the day until she was 4 mos old) and dh was away with work a lot. When she was six weeks old (dh was already away) my friend kidnapped me and and the baby one night as I was sobbing into my washing up, and staged an intervention with a couple of other friends and a chinese takeaway. We all sat around staring at this small screaming child (we'd passed her around and I'd fed her on and off for hours) and eventually she said '"y'know, I have a freshly sterilized newborn dummy in the kitchen, if you want to try it'. Her second born was 6 weeks older - it wasn't planned!

Best thing I ever did. The child got a mouthful of dummy, closed her eyes, and went to sleep. I took the dummy home with me and went to the store the next day. I took them away on her first birthday.

I was absolutely a 'no child of mine' but am well over that stupidity now. grin

moremintsliceplease Tue 21-May-13 05:26:32

When is it ok to introduce a dummy without affecting breastfeeding?

DC1 didn't ever have a dummy or even a bottle but it was really really hard work as he fed constantly in the early months.

Dc2 is only 3 weeks. I am tempted to use a dummy to help her go to sleep and help settle her when v windy but equally I know the cluster and comfort sucking are important to build supply, and her latch isn't brilliant to srart with.

Hmmm I think I know already the answer is 'wait' but it is v tempting at midnight after 5 hours of cluster feeding and winding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now