FF: How long should my 3.5 month old be going between feeds?

(6 Posts)
EmpireBiscuit Mon 20-May-13 13:41:10

My DS is 16 weeks and has 7oz every 3 hours.

mummytopoppy1 Mon 20-May-13 13:38:51

My DD is 6.5 months now, but before we started weaning she never went more than 3 hours. I think 4 hours is a long time to eat/drink nothing and some babies just don't do it. She got to 5 x 7oz bottles before weaning. Perhaps try and offer him a little more in each feed, he won't take what he doesn't need.

u32ng Mon 20-May-13 08:46:28

Yeah I have thought about going up to 7oz but DS has been quite sicky lately & I thought maybe he was taking on too much milk. Also worried that he won't go much longer between feeds & then be on 6 x 7oz bottles!

I do try to feed on demand generally but I sometimes wonder if his eyes are bigger than his stomach...

He's a little Mealer Chops!

I do wonder if the reflux issue is confusing things though by making me think he's having too much when he's just refluxing??

beckslovestimmy Mon 20-May-13 08:16:14

DD is 18 weeks and 14.5lb and is about the same 2.5-3.5 hrs between feeds, occasionally longer. I try to distract her before a bottle to make sure it is definitely hunger. She has 4x6 oz bottles and 1x 7oz bottle before bed then sleeps 8-8. Maybe try giving more formula in each bottle 7 or 8 oz and you may find she goes longer between feeds and drops a bottle? The guidelines on the tin are only guidelines, it also says to feed on demand so as long as baby is happy and healthy I wouldn't worry too much grin

BikeRunSki Mon 20-May-13 07:49:02

DS went 4 hours, had 8 oz at a time at that age. DD went 3 hours, also had 8 oz. She never went to 4 hour feeds. Even at 19 months she's never much more than 2 hours between meals/snacks/milk, although had now given up milk at night (fingers crossed).

u32ng Mon 20-May-13 07:38:45

Currently DS averages 2.5-3hrs between feeds & taking 6 x 6oz which is more than what he 'should' be having for his weight (14lbs).

I am longing for the days of being able to go 4hrs between feeds!!! I know all babies are different but is it normal to want to feed so frequently at this age?

(Also he does have a bit of reflux so I thought there was maybe a bit of a comfort element to it, so sometimes I try & offer a dummy if it's been a short gap but he 99% of the time does seem genuinely hungry as he will protest if he gets the dummy, but not when he gets his bottle)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now