Cool boiled water and sugar or (gulp) glycerine suppository for EBF 5wo who hasn't pooed in 4 days?

(28 Posts)
roamingwest Wed 27-Feb-13 19:52:23

....granted she's a bit squirmy and farty but.... This is the advice given by the GP; the PHN at BF group said just to wait it out? Thoughts on whose advice to follow? smile

monkeypuzzeltree Sat 02-Mar-13 21:55:46

Your post made me laugh, my DS us now 7 months but in those early days he was able to go days between dirty nappies. It feels like a long time ago already! The record was 17 days. I kid you not.

I went to the docs, saw a bf lady in that time and asked here and everyone said to wait. I know it feels wrong but as long as there are wet nappies, baby is fine generally then it really is fine. By day 17 my patience was wavering. I bought a bottle of prune juice. Got home from the shops, showed it to him, put it on the side and half an hour later, well I'll spare you the details! The bottle is still in the cupboard, not sure what i will ever do with a litre of prune juice!

After that, he was often going 7 days between dirty nappies. Not so these days though!!

SilverSky Sat 02-Mar-13 18:51:54

Apparently its a sign they are growing well as absorbing all the bm. I'd def wait it out. Four days is no time at all.

paperclips Sat 02-Mar-13 18:48:32

LOL peeriebear that made me properly guffaw!

Read this thread because DS (5 months) hasn't been since tuesday, so 4 days ago. I think he's waiting till we are out somewhere in polite company. I've been avoiding putting him in nice clothes.

Tiny bit concerned because he's usually pretty regular, but he seems fine, not uncomfortable at all, tummy soft.

Whenever I baby poop habits to my mum she takes pleasure in describing how I would save them up and do huge ones when I was a baby.

peeriebear Thu 28-Feb-13 21:49:14

EBF DS backfired like an old jalopy a few weeks ago after 3 or 4 days of not pooing. He rolled onto his tummy and fired it out all over the base of the sofa, under the sofa, the new rug and the carpet. It just kept on coming.

Andromaca Thu 28-Feb-13 21:33:44

Sorry HIS bare hands

And let it be....

Andromaca Thu 28-Feb-13 21:32:35

Noooooo, my EBF DD was famous for going once every 10 to 15 days, and them is was a poo-ageddon (once while DH was changing her nappy and he tried to stop it from going everywhere with is bare hands ). If she is not in pain it be and be ready for the explosion...

Both my ds's ebf- ds1 several explosive nappies EVERY day, ds2 one nice neat poo that mostly stayed in the nappy every 7-10 days. Both pretty farty but neither unhappy with there poo schedule. I'd leave it a bit longer as others have said.

johnnycomelurky Thu 28-Feb-13 20:37:08

That's the age my EBF son went from pooing after every feed to every six days and yes, later on we routinely had 11,12 and even 14 day gaps - made my MIL very twitchy but my GP and HV were ace and I just made sure his tummy stayed soft. He was never actually constipated. Good luck on poowatch!

MajaBiene Thu 28-Feb-13 20:29:18

GP is definitely thinking of formula fed babies!

EBF babies can go a week+ without pooing. So long as she isn't in pain, her stomach isn't hard and when she does poo it is soft then she is not constipated.

BrainGoneAwol Thu 28-Feb-13 20:26:50

You'll know if she is constipated as she'll be straining and probably crying, but attempting to go.

As said above, she's likely just digesting your milk well. If she really does turn out to be constipated then I was told half a teaspoon of brown sugar in 5ml of boiled water and cooled. It worked wonders but I wouldn't want to do that to their digestive system unnecessarily wink

Beveridge Thu 28-Feb-13 20:23:26

Noooo! Put down the sugar water and the suppositories (!) and step away from the baby! It's usual for ebf babies to go 'longer' periods between dirty nappies - sounds as if your GP is using FF babies as a benchmark for 'normal' (which would make me seek a second opinion from another GP on anything bf related in the future, tbh.)

DS went through a spell of pooing once a week on a Friday at 5.15pm when tiny. Had to get the kitchen roll out to absorb the wall of poo when it did manifest itself, it was monumental! But he was fine.

I remember a thread where a ebf baby didn't go for over a fortnight - the thread latterly became a 'have they been yet'? update, baby was fine but their clothing was not when it finally did happen grin

Grumpla Thu 28-Feb-13 20:08:52

Wear a dry-clean only skirt and sit baby on your knee.

Works like a charm.

minipie Thu 28-Feb-13 20:00:03

how about massaging tummy clockwise in a circle - keep this up for 5-10 mins, it really helps get things moving. then gently push her knees into her chest a bit like when nappy changing. feeding also seems to help my LO poo.

melonribena Wed 27-Feb-13 22:10:58

Oooh! Putting ds in a vibrating bouncy chair always does the trick!

BigPigLittlePig Wed 27-Feb-13 20:25:47

I found the best cure for this was to put dd in her nicest outfit. Guaranteed to trigger an epic poonami every time grin

melonribena Wed 27-Feb-13 20:17:03

Do nothing.

My now 7 mth old ds used to regularly go for 6 days between poos, the joy of ebf!

Unfortunately, now we've started weaning he goes about twice a day!

Make the most of it while it lasts!

roamingwest Wed 27-Feb-13 20:16:16

Thanks all will wait it out and put away the good babygros smile

birdsofshore Wed 27-Feb-13 20:15:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AfriBaby Wed 27-Feb-13 20:12:54

Our fabulous pediatrician told me that "everything is normal" for an EBF baby - so another recommendation to do nothing!

impecuniousmarmoset Wed 27-Feb-13 20:09:22

Do nothing! Our record was 14 days. Ebf infants can go long periods without pooing, your GP has given you bad advice.

HumphreyCobbler Wed 27-Feb-13 20:06:54

DS used to go four or five days between poos. I used to stay in on day five until it had happened.

Littlefish Wed 27-Feb-13 20:04:48

Do nothing!

MooseBeTimeForCoffee Wed 27-Feb-13 20:03:51

My DS was one of those who went a long time between poos. I think his record was 11 days.

It's just that breast milk is so easily digestible that there's nothing left over at the end to come out!

dozily Wed 27-Feb-13 19:59:27

Constipation is unusual among ebf babies. Going a week without a poo however is not unusual and does not mean she has constipation. Wait smile

Picklepepperpiper Wed 27-Feb-13 19:56:34

I would wait it out, it is quite common for ebf babies to go a few days between poos. My ds 9 weeks can sometimes go 6 days. The best thing to do is keep feeding and it should happen on its own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now