Periods returning while breastfeeding?!

(19 Posts)
eatssleepsfeeds Sat 16-Feb-13 17:41:51

Breastfed DD1 til 18 mths (when I was 3 mths preg with DD2). Periods came back after 10 mths postpartem with DD1.

Am now 12 mths postpartem with DD2. Still no period. Where the f is it?! Took a preg test today just to make sure and negative.

Really want to try for another bub in a few mths from now but am worried my body's just not ready for it yet as too busy breastfeeding DD2. (Who is a little pest -doesn't feed during day but loves to down milk of a night (grrrrr)).

Any experience of no periods for an absolute age anyone?

Willdoitinaminute Thu 14-Feb-13 21:41:48

I read somewhere that breastfeeding does not stop ovulation. Historically it was assumed to be the case but it is more likely that poor nutrition stopped ovulation. Modern women are unlikely to suffer malnutrition so bf less likely to interfere with fertility.

RainbowsFriend Thu 14-Feb-13 21:32:44

BFing is definitely not reliable contraception after 6 months. DD (19 months) is still feeding every 2-3 hours if I sit down/stop moving as well as troughing down solids - my periods came back at 15 months, and I've just discovered I'm pregnant! grin

My periods came back right away after each of my 3 babies. Seriously pissed me off.

i was told many times, that bf is NOT a form of contraception and not to rely on it by any means.

after all 3 babies my periods came back after 7 - 8 months.

schmee Thu 14-Feb-13 20:26:07

I followed all the "rules`', but got my periods back straight away. It's interesting that the Kellymom page says that it is 98% or so effective if people who haven't got their periods back. I.e. it is effective unless you get caught out on the first cycle. Looking at it that way, it's not a great rate.

RedKites Thu 14-Feb-13 15:40:30

I think EBF can be 98%+ effective as contraception, but only if you are following certain rules, one of which is that your baby is under 6mo. More information on Kellymom here.

schmee Thu 14-Feb-13 14:43:53

There is a lot of bs talked about periods and bf. My experience was similar to CitrusyOne - the HV didn't believe that I was EBF because mine came back at around 4 weeks. At the time I was probably feeding her at least 13 hours per day, cosleeping and babywearing. confused

shoppingtrolley Thu 14-Feb-13 13:15:50

I had exactly same as tickle33 - EBF but periods came back 4 weeks after birth, heavier than ever. And my baby eats all the time (inc. through the night). First couple of times was imagining EBF was contraception but quickly got real. Better safe than sorry! Have lots of steaks.
x

CitrusyOne Tue 12-Feb-13 21:38:30

Mine returned at 6 weeks. Had a dip in supply and felt really low for a week or so. Now back on the pill. LLL told me they'd come back cos I wasn't feeding dd enough. Was bollocks. She feeds exactly as much as she wants. She goes to bed at 7:30pm mad gets up at 6:30am, with 2 or 3 feeds. I was told to wake her to feed her every three hours. I didn't do this. That way madness lies. Anyway, I found natural remedies to increase my supply, and if things are really shit we have a day in bed of skin to skin, and that combined with the rest normally makes us feel better.

I had lots of support when mine came back and discovered that every Woman is different. I did blame myself, but it turns out the same happened to my mum.

Think it's a nit of a myth that they don't come back until you stop - it probably the way for some people, but certainly not everyone.

Poor you whitby hope it gets better soon

pansy I was thinking ....that the researched, respected books which say that breastfeeding is 98% effective as a contraception method may be right!

pansyflimflam Tue 12-Feb-13 06:45:10

I have had 5 dcs and my periods have come back quicker after each child despite bf. My first was 16 months, then a year and then 5 months and then 7 weeks and then 4 weeks!!!

Terrible contraception method, what were you thinking? hmm

whitby36 Tue 12-Feb-13 06:40:42

My dd is 5 months old and i am ebf. Periods have just returned with a bang. So heavy. Feel completely drained from night waking and now periods too.

ballroompink Mon 11-Feb-13 19:45:55

I'm still bf my 9mo. My periods returned three months ago. They are shorter and lighter than they were before I was pregnant. I did a lot of Googling when mine returned and it seems it's totally normal!

Definitely not pregnant...hmmm, that's annoying then, seems it's not such a great contraception method sad

MN044 Mon 11-Feb-13 15:08:48

Are you sure you're not pregnant?

tickle33 Mon 11-Feb-13 15:07:17

I breast fed exclusively for 7 months and my periods returned 4 weeks after my daughter was born. Although lots of women do not have periods during breast feeding it isn't uncommon for them to come back. And my mine were 'weird' for a while, it took a bit for them to settle down

EvenIfYouSeeAPoppy Mon 11-Feb-13 15:04:37

My dc1 was feeding much like yours at that age and my periods still returned at 6 months. (Took almost a year with dc2 despite, again, very similar feeding patterns).

With me it was pretty much like flicking an 'on' switch - very regular very ordinary periods more or less immediately - but birth and the aftermath is such a big hormonal change, I think it can be different for everyone.

Track your cycle and if things haven't settled down in a few months maybe go to your GP for reassurance. But I doubt very much that anything is wrong smile

A side effect of breastfeeding that I have loved is having no periods!However, DS is 7.5 months now and is pretty much exclusively breastfeeding still. He has bits of our food when we eat but not much and it doesn't affect how much he breast feeds...he never goes longer than 2/3 hours without a feed and it's usually more like every hour!)

My periods seem to be returning, but in a strange way...I have always had very heavy and painful periods and on their return, I had one or 2 days of a very light spotting (pain free) a few weeks ago, and just now have had about 3 days so far of the same. I suppose it could be called a period for someone else, but this is not what usually happens for me.

Anyone know if this is the way it happens? Do they just build up until they get back to how they used to be? Also I was under the impression that generally if you're breastfeeding (especially as often as I am then they wouldn't come back until you stopped?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now