How to stay awake during night feeds part 6 - all welcome to join us!

(1000 Posts)
funchum8am Thu 03-Jan-13 14:05:36

Hi everyone, cannot believe we have exchanged over 5000 messages!

mrsn when we shared our locations on here a while back, heff, goat and I all turned out to live near Uxbridge so we met up having met on here. It is lovely, if you are ever down south let us know!

macaroons sounds like we are in the same boat hmm I officially return to work on 15 Feb but that is actually the Friday before half term so only have that day and then another week off before full time return hits. I am lucky that DH is being a SAHD til 1st July so no drop offs, pick ups or worries about the childminder ringing me because babyfunch is ill etc, and she is in great hands with him, much as I have been critical of him til we talked it over recently. However I am worried about being at work on no sleep - I will get in a lot of trouble if I lose my rag with a pupil or indeed a member of my team (one of whom is a pain). I will have to perfect the art of letting some things go (eg uniform issues in the corridor as opposed to in my lessons - I spend a lot of time arguing with pupils about these and intend to stop save for the very worst!) and dealing with others by just reporting bad behaviour to heads of year rather than dealing with it myself. I am head of faculty so will focus just on what happens in lessons in my faculty rather than working quite so hard on having the best corridor behaviour in the school in my area - it is great having that but takes a lot of time, energy and conflict so it will just have to go n the back burner until I am getting proper sleep again. At this rate dd will be in year 7 by then herself and can help me!

larlemucker Tue 29-Jan-13 04:29:25

Up again, AIBU when I say I hate dh when I'm up all night and he is asleep?

BrainGoneAwol Tue 29-Jan-13 05:00:05

Thanks stitch but it's babybrain's teeth that are the problem. Just tried to feed him and all he will do is bite me! shock Resorted to calpol as he's clearly in pain, poor little thing. sad Currently white-noising and singing to him.
Hope babystitch finally falls asleep.

What do the rest of you do? It's blimin'painful!

larle actually I can't cope with the snot-sucker. DP has to do it. It's very effective though.

marbles sorry for the possibly stupid comment, but would going up a nappy size help?

geek completely agree about the difficulty of resentment. Unless you have experienced this they just have no idea either.

look that sounds like a mighty fine idea!

larlemucker Tue 29-Jan-13 06:07:39

Sleep is over-rated sad

BrainGoneAwol Tue 29-Jan-13 06:09:31

Up again. Calpol didn't work sad. Only thing that seems to settle him is white noise. Sigh.

Now bitten on both sides. No idea how I'm going to feed him as he refuses a bottle. Really not wanting to put my nips back in there!

TheDarkSideOfTheSpoon Tue 29-Jan-13 06:43:07

Ouch brain hope you're not used as a human teething ring for much longer!

look definitely go back to bed when they arrive!

amey I agree with whoever said do whatever gets you most sleep!

Been up trying to resettle babylump for over an hour now, dd1 is fast asleep across my legs rendering me immobile and I have re-enlisted the help of Ewan.

Thanks for all your opinions, my head says yes but heart says no, guess we'll see what happens after the interview. amey I hadn't thought of that, I think as a last resort it could be possible but would mean I'd lose my childminder here so going back to work would mean finding a new one. Also not sure how long my sanity would survive an extended stay at the ILs in their tiny little cottage but I'm sure they'd have us all if we asked so I guess its good to bear in mind.

Going for transfer, please please please be a successful one!

Stitch didn't fall asleep until 4.30am, then dd1 woke at 5am so I plonked her in bed with her dad and slept on the sofa until DH got up for work at 7am. Stitch now awake and I would put money on her falling asleep again just as her sister wakes up! Dd1 will be watching a dvd this morning while I snooze I think.

MrsNPattz Tue 29-Jan-13 09:41:56

Well I posted last night but it is not there - god knows what I did! Little man was awake at half 4-5 then woke at half 8 so pretty good. One of our rabbits was really noisy at 5 so it took me a while to get back to sleep.

I have students coming to speak to me about being a mum again this morning, then we are going for a walk to Asda.

Have a good day all.

geekette Tue 29-Jan-13 09:49:46

I have no idea how many times we were up last night. I'm too tired to count. I know she rocked her to sleep twice. I must have fed at least twice. she at some point ended up in our bed, something about a wet patch of drool...

I wonder how we don't drop her at night. it's such a blur.

I was going to reply some posts but I already can't remember what I read... sigh.

geekette Tue 29-Jan-13 09:51:28

what? she rocked her to sleep? whatever.
that should read: dh rocked her to sleep.

BrainGoneAwol Tue 29-Jan-13 10:01:01

Well. Been up since 4, with 30mins of sleeping in there somewhere. Thank goodness he gave me 3.5 hours at the beginning of the night.
Have finally given him his first feed in 5 hours by him eventually falling asleep and me then being able to get him to feed without biting. Not a lot but better than nothing.

heff hope you had a successful transfer. Hard decisions.

stitch I think dcs conspire about these things.

mrsn we're off for an exciting walk to sainsburys shortly. Rock and roll! Interesting about doing talks. How did you end up doing that?

Arrghh they are drilling. Bloody builders why today. Stitch has just gone to sleep, hoping she will sleep through this, her earlier attempt was thwarted by dd1 needing me to wipe her in the toilet just as she had dropped off while feeding. Can't see myself getting a nap today.

MrsNPattz Tue 29-Jan-13 12:50:09

We are very rock and roll Brain - I got poo'd on by a seagull on my walk sad bloody things!! It was my Drs surgery - they phoned me asking if I would have 3 medical students come and chat to me so they get an idea of life starting out! They were very nice and little man was good as gold again!

Susieloo Tue 29-Jan-13 13:24:39

Hello everyone, sorry for the rough nights out there. I have been awol because dp has been doing the night feeds for the last few nights to get babyloo used to a new routine of taking bottles, I took over last night and he did take a bottle off me after about a minutes protest, we have had some quite good nights and I have caught up on some sleep so feel vaguely human. I'm back on duty tonight but I find it harder to post whilst feeding him because he sits on my lap facing outward so he's not near my boobs!! Only downside to switching to bottles has been our first case of nappy rash so we are having as much nappy free time as possible today. I do feel really relieved that someone other than me can put him to bed and wake up in the night with him.

amey so sorry you asked me ages ago about naps and I didn't reply-they are still a bit haphazard but have fallen into a rough pattern of up at 6.30-7.15 I wake him up at 7.15 if he's still asleep and then he has half an hour at nine and then between 1 and 2 hours at some point in the afternoon-I am trying to have big nap after his lunch at twelve. Sometimes he will need another half an hour later on depending on how long he slept for at lunch time. He goes upstairs for bath and bottle at about six so is usually asleep by 6.45.

heff if its a once in a lifetime job then I think he should do it, I was in a longterm relationship for 7 years (with no dc) and it did mean the time we spent together was always really great. I would definitely go with your instincts though.

Hopefully I'll be able to post tonight. Hello to everyone else and sorry not to name check, this thread moves at quite a pace.

Ameybee Tue 29-Jan-13 19:59:10

Glad your nights have been ok susie! Hoping ours improve soon! DS has got really into the baby rice today - he was crying cos I wasn't quick enough with the spoonblush!

Spoke to my mum today, she said she is happy to have Baby bee overnight to give us a break, I trust her implicitly (she was head of baby room at a nursery for years & 3 kids herself) but feel like I would miss him! But a full nights sleep would be bliss...... What to do?! X

Smallgreenone Tue 29-Jan-13 20:23:47

Hi all. I'd take up your mums offer amey get some much needed rest.
I went into work today to talk about going back sad seems they have had a reshuffle and my job no longer exists sad they have said they will try to sort me out with something but don't know what yet. Feel pretty pissed off and like they don't really want me back. Would love to not have to go back but dh's business is too unstable to risk that at the moment. Going to go to bed now in a huff and feeling sorry for myself.
Good luck with the night shift girls

MrsNPattz Tue 29-Jan-13 20:52:17

Evening, a successful Weight Watchers/walk/new phone/happy baby day here - and a much better mummy! I have my Drs appointment tomorrow and I am sure she will confirm that it's the tablets kicking in that has been making me feel so awful. I AM walking to the Drs tomorrow so the bad weather better sod off!

Oh no Small - is it time to start looking for something else?

Amey - sounds bliss, I would do it but only if it was my mum, no one else.

Attempting transfer.........then off to play with new phone before sleep

MissingMyMarbles Tue 29-Jan-13 21:10:22

Oh Smallsad are they even allowed to do that?

Brain, her nappies are a size 4 and she's not long gone into them. She's certainly nowhere near 40lbs yetgrin!!!

Susie's right! The thread moves so fast, it's hard to keep up even when you are on the ball, never mind when you're boggle-eyed with tirednessgrin

Hope the sleepy mice are a-nibbling.

MissingMyMarbles Tue 29-Jan-13 21:15:06

Like MrsN, I would do it but only if it was my own mum, Amey. I'm a terrible wimp though. I have a training day in Tuesday next week and am panicking about leaving Missmarbles already, but bless my DM, she's coming down to do the honours as DH can't rearrange his schedule.

heff I am with everyone who says go for interview them decide. I believe in instinctive decisions!
small shock they are going to TRY to sort you out?? By law they have to give you your job or something similar, certainly on same pay scale surely?
susie and mrsn glad things are looking up!
Kid is still awake! He has NEVER taken this long to go to sleep. Four transfer fails, a feed and pingy wide-awake eyes since 6:45. What is happening?? He is now lying here on the bed kicking away happily while exhausted mummy silently begs him to get sleepy. He obviously thought his sleep at 6 o'clock was just a nap... confused two nights ago it was bedtime. And he didn't even nap properly today, after my boast about his great patterns! Meh. They know, don't they...

funchum8am Tue 29-Jan-13 22:03:20

Wow everyone has been on and I have been slacking!

amey if you don't take your DM up on that offer, I will!

My lovely dad is staying over as he is making a presentation at a conference in Westminster on child wellbeing tomorrow <proud emoticon> (is it weird to be proud of your dad? I feel like I would if dd had done the same; he has struggled for years to build up his social enterprise which works on child obesity, PE and self-esteem for deprived children.)

Dd has been vv cute for her Grumpa and he is so besotted. Tis lovely to see.

I have yet another KIT day tomorrow - I am just going in to plan lessons for when I start back which will be bliss.

heff have you had any progress on The Cornwall Situation?

funchum8am Tue 29-Jan-13 22:05:09

small how rude! The least they could do is have a plan in place for what they are going to offer you, to fulfil their legal obligations. If no one else's job has disappeared you need to get advice. Are you in a union?

MissingMyMarbles Tue 29-Jan-13 23:06:43

FIrst feed around 9.45 and am only just getting into bed now after 5 transfer fails sad I've given her some calpol as her cheeks are hot and red and I reckon the other tooth will put in an appearance tomorrow. I do hope this is not how the rest if the night is going to be though....

MissingMyMarbles Tue 29-Jan-13 23:07:43

Make that 6 sad

MissingMyMarbles Tue 29-Jan-13 23:16:35

Have just fed her leaning over the cot! Dunno what in going to do when we lower the mattress once she's mobile, which she very nearly is!!

This thread is not accepting new messages.