How to stay awake during night feeds part 6 - all welcome to join us!

(1000 Posts)
funchum8am Thu 03-Jan-13 14:05:36

Hi everyone, cannot believe we have exchanged over 5000 messages!

mrsn when we shared our locations on here a while back, heff, goat and I all turned out to live near Uxbridge so we met up having met on here. It is lovely, if you are ever down south let us know!

macaroons sounds like we are in the same boat hmm I officially return to work on 15 Feb but that is actually the Friday before half term so only have that day and then another week off before full time return hits. I am lucky that DH is being a SAHD til 1st July so no drop offs, pick ups or worries about the childminder ringing me because babyfunch is ill etc, and she is in great hands with him, much as I have been critical of him til we talked it over recently. However I am worried about being at work on no sleep - I will get in a lot of trouble if I lose my rag with a pupil or indeed a member of my team (one of whom is a pain). I will have to perfect the art of letting some things go (eg uniform issues in the corridor as opposed to in my lessons - I spend a lot of time arguing with pupils about these and intend to stop save for the very worst!) and dealing with others by just reporting bad behaviour to heads of year rather than dealing with it myself. I am head of faculty so will focus just on what happens in lessons in my faculty rather than working quite so hard on having the best corridor behaviour in the school in my area - it is great having that but takes a lot of time, energy and conflict so it will just have to go n the back burner until I am getting proper sleep again. At this rate dd will be in year 7 by then herself and can help me!

Izzybuzzybuzzybees Thu 03-Jan-13 23:46:55

Wasn't a quick feed...he fed to sleep, successful transfer so I'm going to sleep finally!

HeffalumpsAndWoozles Thu 03-Jan-13 23:51:21

tea that's a lovely link, I couldn't agree more but I could never have put it so beautifully!

Thanks for the new thread funch, enjoy your trip away smile Langley Pk next week sounds great, I hope I can escape from the house by then! I did my second C25K run today and was pleasantly surprised that it was already a tiny bit easier that the first one. Ive got the my fitness pal app now too which has been helpful in judging my meals and snacks as I'm clueless when it comes to calorie counting and pretty rubbish at portion control too!

mrsn so sorry to hear you're sill feeling so low. Definitely going back to the GP sounds like a good plan. Hope you can get things in hand soon.

Welcome girl smile

Today has been exhausting! There have been lots more accidents than successes but she keeps talking about her new big girl knickers like they're the best treat ever so I'm just hoping she works out soon that saying "oh no mummy, wet!" after the event is not really the aim of the game. Also hoping not to have too many 'solid' accidents as for some reason I found that one particularly gross! Being confined to the house is driving me potty (no pun intended!) so fingers crossed for some improvement tomorrow.

Off to bed now, if transfer fails I may be back in ten minutes! Spreading liberal amounts of sleepy dust all round...

HeffalumpsAndWoozles Fri 04-Jan-13 00:20:59

If transfer fails?? IF?! Of course that should say when transfer fails, seeing as how damn certain it seems to be that it always will sad sad

Macaroons Fri 04-Jan-13 01:17:34

Funchum I've read the baby whisperer too. Can't help but smile when I saw your EAESEAES! Haha! Baby mac is still feeding more often than every 3 hrs so he really doesn't need a nap every 2 hours.

I really want to put him into 3 hourly schedule but he really isn't having any of it shock

Doing night feed now. He vomited an oz of milk half an hour ago. That means a change of clothes for him and for me. He seems to be ok snd was feeding again just now. Will transfer now fingers crossed!

Have a gd bight everyone

Goatbongohohoandjinglejingle Fri 04-Jan-13 01:40:51

funch I'm so sorry but you did make me grin with your description! I hope she is obliging with some sleep for you tonight! (Her new year's resolution maybe?)

welcome girl bring your virtual brew and draw up a chair.

Hello tea sorry that sleep remains so elusive for you. Seeing as we are on part 6 I had a quick look back and was shock to see you are a valiant original from the first thread. You are a saint.
Someone else said that she couldn't stand the "condescending nanny" tone of the Whisperer - maybe it is this you don't like?! Funnily enough the someone else is a prem mum too. (Haven't read it, can't bring myself to) Your link is lovely.

I too am not doing well on the weight loss resolution mrsn though I am hoping that that improves when DH goes back to work next week and I am in charge of cooking again. Bless him, he cooks what he knows I like, but doesn't really like masses of veg himself so leaves those off the plate rather... He is 6'5" and really rangy and can eat anything! Next week breakfast and lunch will include as many fruit/veg as I can pack in. Am going to go down the route of healthy eating rather than focussing entirely on weight loss, I think, as I am always a little worried that I will return to the excesses of my youth blush I have never been good at moderation!

O-kaaayyyy... kid has just figured out rolling front to back. And apparently this needs lots of practice. Right now. Loudly. Great. And the one successful attempt was obviously a fluke so cue much suspect-sounding groaning and straining! hmm

BrainGoneAwol Fri 04-Jan-13 01:43:17

Evening all.
Welcome girl
goat hahaha! <cries>

So far not great. Don't know what has got into babybrain, but so far bed at 8pm, wake at 12.15 and now 1.00am. Full on sadness and crying. Poor little mite. He's now drifting off but still whimpering. Hoping calpol helps hush teeth. sad

Hoping good sleeps to you all.

Smallgreenone Fri 04-Jan-13 01:47:58

Welcome girl
I like your article tea it's hard sometimes but good to remember that these little guys are so teeny tiny and they will sleep through eventually.
Baby small currently asleep in my arms looking adorable. Expecting 3 transfer fails before I give in and take him to bed with me grin
funch hope you enjoy Stratford. I grew up in the midlands and we'd often day trip to Stratford, the butterfly park was a favourite. No idea if its still there.

Smallgreenone Fri 04-Jan-13 01:55:49

Transfer fail 1.
I've tried easy too and we don't get an Y time either grin we are great at E and A though! I'm naively hoping that bottles will change everything although so far no different although its only day two. Also tonight's remedy for engorged boobs is cabbage leaves in bra sooooooooo attractive! I went looking for the pump earlier, dh has hidden it so I can't sneakily express. Cold turkey is agony I think my gp is a sadist for recommending it!
heff your little girl sounds v sweet with her big girl pants treat!

GirlOutNumbered Fri 04-Jan-13 02:23:33

Well, I'm going to write down what time you may see me every night from now on, as instead of 11 and 1, this is my first wake up tonight. smile

funchum8am Fri 04-Jan-13 02:44:42

Nice one girl! Could your LO be tempted by some consultancy work ie telling mine the secret of decent sleep?!wink

I did an 11pm dream feed as planned. It went swmmingly and she fed loads without seeming to wake, yet here we are 2.5 hours later. I thought she would go another 4 or so sad . Still she is draining boob 2 now so may last more than the usual hour we get after 2am this time. Fingers crossed for all of us!

BrainGoneAwol Fri 04-Jan-13 02:47:30

Hello again. Thinking this is going to be a long night...

small I'm hopefully ages off stopping bf but dread the idea of cold turkey. Respect for sticking at it so far. I hear warm showers and gentle massage are also good (though a little inconvenient at night). The cabbage look is so this season!

tea lovely link. Thanks for the reminder of why we do this the way we do. smile

goat hope kid stops rolling long enough to sleep...

HeyMicky Fri 04-Jan-13 02:54:34

Hi all, Meant to join a few threads ago but ended up staring into the darkness in despair instead wink

DD is 15 weeks, wakes at least twice a night. She has reflux and is on the small side so is unable to take enough at any one feed to go more than about 3 hours. W had 4 blissful nights of 8-4 and I was about to add a dream feed in the hope she'd go till 6 or 7, then the 12 week growth spurt hit

MrsNPattz Fri 04-Jan-13 03:34:36

First feed here! My brother and his girlfriend have just got in from a night out - I though it was quite funny that I was changing a nappy and they were just getting home drunk.

tea lovely to see you but sorry it's not getting any better! That article is just perfect - thank you so much, I totally agree with her. I think I'm just being greedy to be honest, have been on ADs for a while now.

Goatbongohohoandjinglejingle Fri 04-Jan-13 03:54:44

Hello micky we are much nicer than despairing darkness! wink

I just had to change Kid completely. I swear he has developed an extra set of limbs overnight. I have a baby octopus!

funchum8am Fri 04-Jan-13 04:05:58

Just had to do a full change too - babyfunch coughed so hard she threw up an enormous amount sad. Have sent DH to the sofa and got her in with me and she is feeding lying down so will hopefully drop off soon. I have a cold and DH feels like he may have a tummy bug so this could be a lovely weekend!

Welcome mickey definitely better to be on here than alone in the dark! smile

More sleepy dust needed around here for a few of us by the sounds of it!sad

Off to read the WIO link...sounds promising.

Goatbongohohoandjinglejingle Fri 04-Jan-13 04:18:04

GOOOOOOOOD MOOOOOOOORNING!!!!!!!
Oo! What do you mean I'm shouting,of course I'm not shouting, I am just soooo happy that it is morning! And what a lovely morning it is, can you see how lovely it is! Gosh, it's lovely!
What, it's still dark? Pffft, stop with the silly and unimportant detail already! Honestly, what a party pooper. Because truly, it's a LOVELY MORNING, SEE HOW LOVELY IT IS...

Etc etc etc

hmm

funchum8am Fri 04-Jan-13 04:29:28

goat I think we can hear kid from here! Or at least babyfunch can, something is keeping her awake! Though I think she is heading for sleep at last (i will regret tempting fate like that soon!)

tea I really like that site, read a few posts and it is great to have a name for what I am doing in waiting it out. I only wish I felt as confident as the author that I had actively chosen this way of doing things...it feels like the only possible way!

Goatbongohohoandjinglejingle Fri 04-Jan-13 05:04:25

Oh sorry funch I will make Kid explain himself next time he sees you! grin

DontYouJingleMyChristingle Fri 04-Jan-13 05:12:37

Hello ladies another newbie here, signing in on feed 3 of the night.

Nasty cough won't let mine settle back to sleep, been up for over an hour sitting in steamy bathroom.

Coupled with a home sick niece who screamed for an hour at bedtime, meaning that my 3 year old and 10month old baby had to go to sleep in our bed and I am done in.

Smallgreenone Fri 04-Jan-13 06:12:41

Hi dont and micky
Well baby small has for once been in his cot all night but I really struggled to get back to sleep and then since 5.30 he's been making noises so I'm now cuddling him and he's fast asleep again. So I am up but the rest of the house sleeps- no change there then!
How's kid doing now goat still up?! He sounds like a great communicator wink

funchum8am Fri 04-Jan-13 06:40:39

I am still up (have been since 2) but hoping you have managed to get some sleep goat!

Babyfunch was sick earlier (too tired to remember or check whether I posted that!) and then when I finally got her back to sleep in our bed I thought I'd risk transferring her back to her crib, where she promptly coughed til she threw up again sad It was all pooled in her ears and had wet the back of her head, the lot. So we got up and i gave her a bath which only encouraged her belief that 5am is morning. She was amazingly energetic, cute and smiley, and I rather despair of ever changing her sleep patterns!

So I have had a bacon and egg sarnie and a cuppa, listened to the start of the Today programme on Radio 4, checked on dh who is asleep on the sofa totally oblivious (so he may really be ill as this is past his usual getting up time, I blame him for babyfunch's sleep pattern!) and got her to go back to sleep, albeit fitfully in her Moses basket downstairs. Now to change the crib upstairs without her waking down here and waking DH - I want him well rested so I can have some sleep later!

Thank god for this thread,I would have nowhere to moan on at this time of the morning without you!!

funchum8am Fri 04-Jan-13 06:41:02

Welcome dont!

Smallgreenone Fri 04-Jan-13 07:27:55

Well we're definitely up now. I took him into bed after posting and slept a bit more too so I think I'm now saying he slept through? 1am feed through to 7 is that sleeping through or am I clutching at straws?!
Have a good day all.
funch jealous of your bacon and egg sarnie

HeffalumpsAndWoozles Fri 04-Jan-13 07:33:03

Babylump seems to have lost the ability to go back to sleep after a feed sad We got sleep from 1am to 6.15 but despite being fed and obviously still sleepy she just won't drop back off. I'm getting desperate now as its more and more likely we'll just have to get up but not sure I can face the day just yet.

goat grin hope you got back to sleep!

Welcome to everyone new!

smicha Fri 04-Jan-13 08:44:14

Morning! Sixth thread!!! Poor us.

I'm still lurking and here every day, but trying not to use my phone during the night as I want the room to remain as dark and silent as possible - and me to remain as sleepy as possible! DS is back to a 1am and then a 4am feed sad and then he wakes up at between 6 and 7am for the day. When do babies start sleeping through?!?! Everyone around me seems to have a baby who goes down for 12 hours now! (are they lying...hmm) I suppose I am lucky in that he goes back down almost immediately after the feeds... for now at least!

I really thought last night would be a good night as he hardly slept through the day and then fed pretty much solidly for two hours before falling asleep at 8pm. I'm not sure what to do!! Suck it up and get on with it I suppose.

Welcome to all the newbies, sorry to hear you're having sleepless nights too. goat kid sounds like such a lovely little thing - a wideawake octopus! grin

This thread is not accepting new messages.