Haven't fed for 4 months and still making milk?

(5 Posts)

Is this normal? Stopped feeding my ds 4 months ago at 20mo and still seem to be able to squeeze milk out of my 'good' side.

Have done nothing to stimulate production since I have stopped other than the bit of a squeeze today which was only because I had a bit of a pain in my breast which I can only describe as a blocked duct type feeling.

I stopped feeding very very gradually over many weeks as ds got less interested. I do think I always had a pretty robust supply but this seems a little ridiculous.

So, anyone else had this? Should I be concerned at all? Pain in boob has gone now btw.

Spoonpaws Wed 14-Nov-12 00:18:56

Yes, its very normal. Some women have reported being able to still produce milk years after finishing breastfeeding.

I seem to recall reading about an 83 year old who could still express the odd drop!

EcoLady Wed 14-Nov-12 00:23:11

My youngest is 8. I stopped the final night time feed when he was 1. I can still squirt to order!

Wow, I never realised. I stressed so much with ds about my milk drying up because he'd slept a bit longer and especially when I thought he was on a nursing strike (which with hindsight was him weaning). I know some ppl where there milk has gone overnight seemingly and was so keen to feed for as long as possible I was scared of this happening. I'm still a bit upset he didn't want to feed after 20mo.

Do you think some womens supply is just more 'fragile' than others and I'm a lucky one? Is it likely to be the same next time?

You learn something new everyday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now