BREASTFEEDING AND CHAMPAGNE - HAVE I HURT MY BABY??????

(21 Posts)

Gah.

Ykwim.

It's the first Topic in the Patenting section.

I think that's why.

QTPie Thu 11-Oct-12 22:43:37

No, the alcohol eliminates the colic causing properties of grapes.... wink

paperclips Sun 07-Oct-12 16:27:40

but if grapes cause colic, would drinking wine do the same?

blushingmare Thu 06-Sep-12 18:28:34

Ha - maybe the colicky baby's crying just doesn't sound so bad after a couple of glasses of wine!

tiktok Thu 23-Aug-12 09:37:51

And a glass of red wine would not affect colic, positively or negatively. The amount of wine that reaches the milk is minuscule, so coincidence again (probably smile )

tiktok Thu 23-Aug-12 09:36:46

bertie, you are probably right about the disparate topics here....MN need to sort it smile

It would deffo be coincidence about wine and sleepiness in a newborn baby, unless copious quantities had been consumed. One small glass of wine would certainly not do it smile

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 23-Aug-12 09:16:16

Pottering - if nothing else, you know you will be sat down for long enough to enjoy it! grin

BertieBotts Germany Thu 23-Aug-12 09:07:49

I think it's coincidence if it makes them sleepy... newborns are sleepy by definition grin

I have no idea what this topic is. I wonder if it is linked from another site somewhere, as it always seems to be new posters in here.

The BF woman at the hospital told me the best time for a glass of wine was whilst physically feeding!

Hairtodayandgonetomorrow Thu 23-Aug-12 09:03:01

Ali I hadn't thought of that! Even so it would just feel wrong!!! I use to wait until just after a feed for that reason.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 23-Aug-12 07:58:27

Hair - why not while BFing? Best time, because by the time it has got to your bloodstream the feed is over, and then you have maximum time to metabolise it out.

But it doesn't matter either way, nothing wrong with a glass or two - or even three - while you are BFing. I found that a nice glass of red made my two less colicky.

BeaWheesht Thu 23-Aug-12 07:53:21

Hang on, drinking wine makes them sleep - why did no-one tell me that???

Congratulations OP.

Champneys Thu 23-Aug-12 06:43:32

You'll be absolutely fine!!!

And congratulations, how lovely smile

samie10 Thu 23-Aug-12 05:46:21

thank you for the advice....I can't tell you how much it helped!!! She went onto scream all night, so i should have made the most of the quiet time i had! Thank you SO much, its great to know there is help and guidance out there!!XXXXXX

tiktok Wed 22-Aug-12 23:02:03

(Bit puzzled about why this thread is here....OP, you can ask for it to be in breast and bottle feeding folder, which would make more sense smile )

Actually, I don't really 'get' why a lot of topics about sleep, nappies and so on are in this folder!

tiktok Wed 22-Aug-12 22:09:43

There's a good, evidence-based account of what happens with alcohol and bf here: www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/ - find the factsheet.

Hairtodayandgonetomorrow Wed 22-Aug-12 18:37:08

I thought the breastfeeding guidelines were the same as the pregnancy guidelines? 1-2 units once or twice a week, and surely more alcohol would reach the baby when pregnant than when breastfeeding.

The first time I had a small glass of wine after having DS it made him sleepy, I felt awful too! DS is fine despite me having the odd drink while breastfeeding (although obviously not while bf)

tiktok Wed 22-Aug-12 18:32:47

Please speak to a midwife and get reassurance about this - honestly, I can PROMISE you that you have not harmed or even momentarily affected your baby in any way (I am an NCT breastfeeding counsellor - I know my stuff, I promise).

The amount of alcohol in your milk will be undetectable even with the most sophisticated lab analysis - one glass = about one unit, and your body will have metabolised it almost fully after an hour. Even if you had drunk it and immediately fed, the amount of alcohol in the milk would be TINY.

Please don't let this stop you enjoying these special early days.

You can have another glass now to celebrate your relief!!

Do ask the midwife, though - to make sure you are convinced smile

dublindee Wed 22-Aug-12 18:29:37

Calm down huni. It's not as if you necked the whole bottle!!!! Did you?
One glass of bubbly is no harm as a one-off.

Congrats btw xxx

samie10 Wed 22-Aug-12 18:27:01

i gave birth yesterday at 4pm, had friends round a few hours ago, we had a glass of champagne, i ate and then fed her an hour or so later not thinking...have i hurt her?!! She seems ok but only took 15mins to feed and then went to sleep. I am so worried.....please don't judge me..am knackered and have made a stupid mistake, nobody feels worse about this than me....HELP!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now