DECEMBER BOOK OF THE MONTH DISCUSSION THREAD - Thursday's bookclub session and author chat here

(166 Posts)

Hi all, this is the discussion thread to come to this Thursday night 8-10pm for December's Book of the Month, Agent Zigzag. Author Ben Macintyre will be joining us from 9 onwards.

If you can't make the session and would like to ask Ben a question then do post it here now and we'll email it on. And if you want to post a question in advance pop it up here on this thread, and we'll email them to him. Ben will start with those on Thursday eve.

I'm hoarding the last of the pudding wine and Quality Street in anticipation (should be drinking something far more spy-like and sophisticated but never could stomach martini)

FluffyMummy123 Thu 10-Jan-08 20:05:14

Message withdrawn

fryalot Thu 10-Jan-08 20:10:52

woohoo, yes, I will be here at 8.30 and Ben is fab for coming on early grin

for some inexplicable reason, I have a craving for a scotch egg sandwich hmm

don't go icod - common knowledge that writers eat all sorts of bizarre things during the long midnight toil.

I'm still so surprised that I'd never heard of Eddie Chapman before reading this book. All those adventures are so extraordinary, you'd think he woudl have become a well known war figure.

fryalot Thu 10-Jan-08 20:12:03

and fwiw, I think that David Tennant, or Daniel Craig would be good to play Eddie

sophiewd Thu 10-Jan-08 20:14:43

Did Ben manage to track down Eddies' daughter

Notyummy Thu 10-Jan-08 20:15:42

No to Rupert Everett. Too louche and upper class.

YES to Daniel Craig (thats yes in general...not just for this purpose grin)

I had mentioned David Tennant before and I'm glad to see another vote for him.

Anyone back me up on James McAvoy for the casting couch?

fryalot Thu 10-Jan-08 20:16:15

yeah, but it wasn't till long after the war had ended that Bletchley Park waseven heard of, and probably a lot of people have still not heard of Tommy Flowers or Alan Turing

themonkeykeeper Thu 10-Jan-08 20:16:49

David Tennant gets a vote here!

morningpaper Thu 10-Jan-08 20:16:57

Tilly so much of it was extraordinary but I suppose that a lot of that information has probably only been made public in the last few years under Labour's public right to information reforms?

So, Tilly, do you ask us Book Group type questions now?

fryalot Thu 10-Jan-08 20:17:22

I think James McAvoy's too young and clean cut looking.

sophiewd Thu 10-Jan-08 20:18:08

That's a yes for DT here aswell

Notyummy Thu 10-Jan-08 20:18:35

<clears throat>

<sips wine nervously>

<trys to look cool, yet interesting, and the sort of person you'd want to chat to at a book club>

Notyummy Thu 10-Jan-08 20:19:35

I can think of a few ways of aging James MacAvoy...

Sorree....am I lowering the tone AGAIN??!

Notyummy Thu 10-Jan-08 20:20:26

Actually I think hes only about a year or two younger than Chapman was at the beginning of Zig Zag.

Just realised that his story has alreayd been made into a film (Ben mentions in the end of the book) - Eddie is played by Christopher Plummer of sound of music fame pic http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001626/bio here

What I want to read is Freda's story, and how Chapman was with her. i wonder hwo much he told her, or whether she really was in teh dark.

Just realised that his story has alreayd been made into a film (Ben mentions in the end of the book) - Eddie is played by Christopher Plummer of sound of music fame pic http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001626/bio here

What I want to read is Freda's story, and how Chapman was with her. i wonder hwo much he told her, or whether she really was in teh dark.

morningpaper Thu 10-Jan-08 20:20:44
fryalot Thu 10-Jan-08 20:21:21

really, notyummy, what would those be then? do tell

wink

morningpaper Thu 10-Jan-08 20:22:45

Yes Freda's story, that WOULD be interesting. Do you think she knew what was going on, or do you think she was just a bit dim and thoght these gentlemen were all part of some dodgy criminal underworld?!

sophiewd Thu 10-Jan-08 20:23:22

kept coming up as error, and in light of the fact that he was censored how accurate was the film

Notyummy Thu 10-Jan-08 20:24:58

I think Freda knew something was going on, but loved him and had a child, so didn't want to ask too many questions.

sophiewd Thu 10-Jan-08 20:25:03

I think Freda knew a lot more than she let on, just was very wise and kept her mouth shut

ChampagneSupernova Thu 10-Jan-08 20:26:14

shock Christopher Plummer! That's ALL wrong.
here's the film
hmm

I think they can remake it - it was in 1966. Think they need someone much dishier than Capt von Trapp!!

fryalot Thu 10-Jan-08 20:26:15

I think Freda knew that the best thing she could do was keep schtumm

Notyummy Thu 10-Jan-08 20:27:03

my mum reliably informs me that he was quite the thing back in the day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now