PLEASE NOTE: All Mumsnetters and Mumsnet Bloggers are welcome to post in this Talk topic but this isn't the place for promoting blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. If you do that here, we may well delete your posts. If you'd like to join the Mumsnet Bloggers Network please do apply: we'd love to look at your blog!

Love my Blog, But Traffic Low - Too Niche?

(30 Posts)
choochy Sun 10-Mar-13 17:31:29

Hi there,
I started my blog last September. Now I have 50 visitors a day with 150 plus views. Which is lovely. But. My blog is about living with MS.

Is this too niche? I get great feedback, so not sure what to expect, considering it is such a narrow subject. I'm hoping to show the 'funny' side of living with MS in my 30's.

Anyway, without boring you all to death, my blog is www.stumblinginflats.com

Any advice will be taken on board!
CX

curtaincall Mon 18-Mar-13 21:50:12

that's really helpful, choochy, thanks. Maybe see you in the twittersphere. By the way, Talking of hobbies, I took up the piano September before last as my son had started. Found a local teacher. Thought I'd never be very good, but stuck with it, played a massive amount and am now playing quite hard pieces - nearly Grade 3 ! (though too much of a scaredy cat to actually do the exams). Don't compare yourself to anyone with your art - none of us are ever going to be a good as Hokusai who didn't even consider he himself was an artist until he was over 80! In fact, I read an article about Doodlemum in the Grauniad and she only took up drawing again a couple of years ago.www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/gallery/2013/mar/06/angie-stevens-illustrations Good luck!

Whatsamsawtoday Tue 19-Mar-13 09:51:15

Great discussion and thanks for tips. Gaining traffic when you have a niche audience is really quite hard (I blog about property auctions whatsamsawtoday . com).

Curtaincall, you raise an interesting question about being a private person and now being in public (with the blog). This is really hard and will get harder the more visitors you get = the more exposure you get.

However, the plus point is - you will have even more friends round for tea (I so loved that analogy!!)

My advice for you - only make public what you want to make public. But remember the best blogs are personal and confessional. It's not easy to hold yourself up and say "here, look at me, I did this".

But remember - you did hold yourself up, and you did do it and that makes you amazing.

choochy Wed 20-Mar-13 19:45:59

Thanks for all the advice! Am off to find some Sharpies and a sketchpad. Good to have something to do.

curtaincall Fri 22-Mar-13 18:11:42

well done, choochy. If you like the results, perhaps you could post them on your blog and let us know? Good Lucksmile

Have you tried flickr, tumblr, pin interest, reddit, (fb and twitter too you said) etc.? Having accounts on loads of different social network works.

Heavenly Vegan Baking

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now