PLEASE NOTE: All Mumsnetters and Mumsnet Bloggers are welcome to post in this Talk topic but this isn't the place for promoting blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. If you do that here, we may well delete your posts. If you'd like to join the Mumsnet Bloggers Network please do apply: we'd love to look at your blog!

How to explain blogging?

(8 Posts)
ILikeWhisperingToo Tue 08-Jan-13 17:08:22

If you were wanting to show someone a couple if examples of blogs, in order to see if they could start their own, which would you recommend?
Person in question is computer literate but not very internet savvy. TIA thanks

MmeLindor Germany Tue 08-Jan-13 18:00:16

What kind of blogs?

Craft, 'mummyblogger', ranty political?

What kind of blog does your friend want to start?

ILikeWhisperingToo Tue 08-Jan-13 18:40:37

Thank you for the reply.
I had yours in mind actually as it's one of about 3 that I know of blush besides it's fabulousness, obv! smile

A personal blog - a kind of journal - something along the lines of being about "life with a disability" or "life after bereavement" (not that, but sort of). Not all dark and dreary though - quite the opposite.

Just wondering where is a place to start to show them and say "this is what a blog is / can be", which will give a good example, if you like. But I was looking for some that were basic and appealing and got a bit lost confused

MmeLindor Germany Tue 08-Jan-13 21:41:33

oh, thank you.

I would suggest Wine Can't Cure Back Pain and Stumbling in Flats - both deal with illness/disability but not in a woe is me way. The Farm at the Back of Beyond is one of my favourites, featuring great writing about a life that is very different to mine.

I think a blog can be some place to reflect, to order ones thoughts, and to take note of what is happening in life. A place to go back to - basically an online diary. It can be private or shared, and can be exactly what you want it to be.

Blogging gives a reader a glimpse into a life unlike their own - or sometimes very like their own - and enables us to see something beyond their own plate (as they say in Germany).

If your friend wants any advice, feel free to contact me.

ILikeWhisperingToo Tue 08-Jan-13 22:11:59

Thanks so much, really helpful. smile
Will recommend those - and I want to look into the security side of things a bit more too, public/private content etc.
Thanks again thanks

MmeLindor Germany Tue 08-Jan-13 22:33:56

I have quite a bit of info on my blog about starting blogging, here and Geekalicious is good for beginner bloggers.

robertcalvin123 Wed 16-Jan-13 13:46:51

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

robertcalvin123 Mon 04-Feb-13 10:16:11

you should have unique content and catchy words so that they attract readers you should write relative information when any one enters your blog they should feel that information is useful .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now