Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Join the network

What is this section meant to be about?

(116 Posts)
DillyTante Fri 14-Sep-12 18:40:30

You know, I'm finding that I rarely use this bloggers section anymore because I don't really know the point of it.

Is it somewhere where we discuss blogging related issues, e.g. Technical, writing, ideas etc. Is it where we share our latest blog posts? We do that on one thread and it's not very interactive, I feel that people post and run and don't read other people's posts. Some people post separately when they post but if we all did that the place would be over run and you'd never really see anything.

This isn't supposed to be where we share other people's blogs, though I'm not sure where on MN we'd do that then if not for the bloggers section.

There are a lot of people who just come on this section and never go on the rest of MN, just treat it as if it is it's own little chat forum. But that never goes down well on MN, for good reason, you never really get a feel for the ethos of the place, and it feels like you just don't care about MN enough. So then I get irrationally angry at people who post random questions that are nothing to do with blogging and would be better on the Relationship or Education (etc) sections.

So what is this space meant to be all about? What do YOU want from it, how can we make it better, because I mostly find it quite slow & boring ATM but I'd like to hang around here a bit more.

Stitchthis Thu 20-Sep-12 21:56:45

Oh dear. My name is stitch this and I am a < shudder> consultant. blush

DillyTante Thu 20-Sep-12 22:11:23

My name is DillyTante and I am a Civil Servant <hangs self in shame>

This is my life. Today I was creating a matrix. I felt the discussion was too bottom up and needed to be top down. I recommended that we think about the end state.

MmeLindor Thu 20-Sep-12 23:02:04

Now you are scaring me.

DillyTante Thu 27-Sep-12 19:35:34

Bumping for any more thoughts.

Tee2072 Thu 27-Sep-12 19:46:11

I forgot about this thread...my brain is like a sieve...

Anyway, wish I could be at BlogFest or whatever it's called. I was going to seriously suggest a sit down so we could all throw some ideas out and see what sticks on the direction of the network.

But, alas, her plate is so full the mashed potatoes are falling off and she won't be able to make it.

::Tee impresses herself that she can still play even though she hasn't sat in a meeting in 3 years::

grin

KateMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 27-Sep-12 22:16:58

We're here to say that we're in listening mode - we want to end silo-thinking, and we'll be workshopping all your suggestions. Thanks for gifting us with those grin.

Seriously - brilliant thread. We'll go through it and try and work out what might be workable, then put our ideas out for your feedback. Might be after BlogFest though - lots going on!

On which note, if you're thinking of coming, don't forget that the early bird offer ends on Sunday at midnight.

DebonaireDad Thu 27-Sep-12 23:26:52

this isn't the most insightful post, but as someone (I think it was dilly) posted recently, there seem to be more and more posts that have nothing to do with blogging on here that should be on the main boards - I'm guessing it's because people just got lost and posted in the wrong place, but perhaps it highlights an issue on communicating what this blogging section is about. Or maybe its not important and doesn't really bother anyone else.

Tee2072 Fri 28-Sep-12 06:01:06

Bothers me a lot Debonaire. I always report such posts to MNHQ and lament the poor, abused bloggers board when I do.

grin

CollectorOfCookbooks Fri 28-Sep-12 10:17:54

Been away hence my silence on this subject, but it's a great subject for a thread and for a discussion. Sorry I'm late to the party on this one.

MN encouraged me to blog, and to enter the forum in the first place, so I'm an MN'er who became a blogger. I do feel protective towards other bloggers I've met through this forum, rightly or wrongly. And I also report others who post in this section when they should be in Chat, Relationships etc.

I worry that one of the problems is that the network has almost become too big and the quality of the blogs has dipped as a result. But I don't know how you solve that without becoming a lot more selective about the blogs you have within the network.

I haven't found a huge difference in stats through the promotion by MN, but what I have found is some blogger friends and it's the community feel I like. Much like the rest of MN.

Please no tickers and sparkly shit grin but what about up on the bit where it says 'add message / report / message poster' would a 'read blog' button help?

But then I'd have to change my identity again and I've only just gotten over doing that the last time.

I can't make the BlogFest sadly but I'll bet there could be a great discussion on this.

Stitchthis Fri 28-Sep-12 21:46:24

Like the idea of a blog button. Elegant.

You could put a card with 2 or 3 questions for discussion on the lunch tables. It will give everyone something to talk about at worst. Then get answers back from each table. We Do it at work quite often and it seems to be an effective way of getting feedback while encouraging networking

MmeLindor Mon 01-Oct-12 10:04:31

Even a direct link to our blogs on our profiles would help.

I think it's just a bit slow - this section I mean. Everywhere else everyone is gassing away whereas this bit if like Mumsnet 2002. I was there then - you'd post, wander off, do some housework, prepare lunch then log back on and be pleased if someone had replied to you in that time.

2under2blog Wed 10-Oct-12 11:26:33

I personally love this section and have been using it more and more. I've received some brilliant help and lots of feedback so I'm trying to put some back in.

I love looking at other people's blogs and have had some great ideas from them.

But I am guilty of not exploring the rest of MN enough - something I promise to rectify!

MmeLindor Wed 10-Oct-12 12:45:06

JimJams
That is a funny thought - I wasn't here as early as that, but have noticed recently that active convos moves a lot faster than it used to. Even at night.

I was wondering about us bloggers getting our own wee ticker kind of thing - I have noticed some bloggers are doing this anyway, but if it were possible to allow a blog link at the end of our posts in the blogger section, that would help a lot.

Salt&Caramel.com

With our logo would be fab, but even a text link would be great.

DillyTante Tue 08-Jan-13 22:00:29

Now Blogfest is over can I reinstate this thread & the questions raised?

Tee2072 Fri 11-Jan-13 20:59:15

I just noticed you bumped the thread Dilly.

Did any of this get discussed at Blogfest?

DillyTante Fri 11-Jan-13 21:28:19

No sadly. Hey MNHQ want to get us along for a focus group? grin

Tee2072 Sat 12-Jan-13 07:25:40

grin

MmeLindor Sat 12-Jan-13 10:07:04

Would be interested in this too

costumequeen Sat 12-Jan-13 10:17:30

As a new blogger/mn blogger but 'normal' mnetter for a while (although I don't post too often) I'm finding this thread interesting. I have implemented much of the advice I have found on this bloggers board, have had a couple of comments from other friendly bloggers here grin and generally don't feel quite so lonely when I know at least 2 of you have read my very new blog! I do read some of the posts in dump and run and I'm fairly sure others have read mine through it too. That said I rarely use the bloggers network page abd rarely see posts on twitter via mnbloggers either. MN has been a friendly way to get advice, meet new bloggers and get a bit of exposure for my blog so as far as this newbie is concerned, it's no bad thing. (Incidentally I had the blog before I joined the network.) I agree that a blog thread in certain sections (like Arts and Crafts) could work as it's so geared towards visual inspiration, but then I've never noticed any anti blog feeling on the boards that I read anyway. That's my two penneth worth wink

peekyboo Sat 12-Jan-13 13:15:48

I didn't know this thread existed until today! Must admit to being confused about the purpose of the board at first, as I used to think it was only for bloggers to post on, then realised it was for anyone but that MN didn't want outside links.
So many other forums allow sigs, why not MN? It's easy to prevent animated sigs, I can't see the problem with it. As the boards are heavily moderated compared to other sites, you shouldn't have many problems with people abusing the service.
And it is 2013 you know!
Personally, I think if MN has moved onto the stage of having ads floating about when you visit their pages, then MSnetters, bloggers or non-bloggers, should be able to have a little signature.

Tee2072 Sat 12-Jan-13 21:05:19

The boards aren't actually moderated at all, peeky. Nothing gets removed or edited or posters warned unless another poster reports the thread/post.

And I don't think we need sigs. Just let us put links to our blogs anywhere on the threads, especially if asked for.

Now that Local allows anyone to have a free advert, what's the difference, really?

peekyboo Sat 12-Jan-13 21:50:47

I didn't realise they weren't moderated! I guess the members must do a steadfast job of self-moderation then as there doesn't seem to be much of the trolling that you see on other sites.

peekyboo Sat 12-Jan-13 21:51:45

PS I really liked the idea of having a little blog button next to a member's name but perhaps this could just be a link button instead, to cover people who had a website rather than a blog or, like one of mine, a combination of the two.

MmeLindor Sat 12-Jan-13 23:22:19

Tee
I made the suggestion that we could have a opt-in signature on the Bloggers Network Forum - so that our blogs would be posted here but not on the main boards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now