10 month old - constant whining

(9 Posts)
alphaechokiwi Tue 28-Jun-16 13:30:26

Hi,
Hoping someone can help - I feel like I'm losing my mind.
My 10 month old DD has always had a sunny, curious, adventurous personality. And until recently she's always been a very smiley happy baby. But over the last few weeks she has started to whine all day long when home alone with me. I try take her out to a play group or an activity every day and she's totally fine there. She crawls off without a backwards glance and is her old happy self.
But once we are home it's just a constant whinge. She doesn't like being put down at all. She doesn't want her toys or even watch cbeebies for a few minutes. I need to put her down sometimes -to go to the toilet, to make her lunch or to just have minute to myself.

She's miserable all the time with me. Mealtimes are awful -she hates being in the high chair and whines and eats very little. She will only nap on me. I want to help her but also need it to stop for my mental state. It's really getting to me and I want to shout at her to shut up. I don't understand how come she's fine once we're out of the house and with other people and children but utterly miserable at home with me. And I need to put her down sometimes -for my sanity. Help

alphaechokiwi Tue 28-Jun-16 15:03:13

Bump. Anyone?

KW89 Wed 29-Jun-16 10:46:12

No advice, but you have my sympathy. My 11 month old DS has been like this for about two months 😕 so exhausting. X

figginz Wed 29-Jun-16 10:52:40

Mine does this when she's coming down with a cold, or teething. Or, is your dd about to learn a new skill, eg pulling herself up?

I just tried to get out of the house all the time. And lots of cuddles when we were in the house, to limit whinging to absolute minimum. flowers

alphaechokiwi Wed 29-Jun-16 11:26:07

Figgunz - she's on the cusp of walking...

Thanks for the replies. I can't wait for this phase to be over, it's not doing either of us any good...

JollyOlliebobs Wed 29-Jun-16 20:12:05

You have my sympathy, Alpha. My son was exactly like this around 9/10 months and was seriously testing my patience! It was like he was really high maintenaince, constantly whinging and whining. Trying to prepare any meal for him was a nightmare as he'd just whinge as soon as I put him in the high chair.

I really worried that perhaps I was raising a brat (!) but now we seem to have come through that stage, and it did seem to coincide with teething (back tooth) and a developmental leap. He's crusing around and pointing at everything now.

Have a hug from me, because I know how sh*t it is. I used to look at the other NCT babies and wonder why my son was such a whingebag!

Xanamcx Sun 03-Jul-16 08:54:50

Hello! My son is also the same he is 9.5 mos now. When did your son calmed down?

Thanks so much!

Firstimemum86 Mon 25-Jul-16 19:42:58

Have things improved for you at all? My 10 months old has been a whiner from day one- so I understand completely how you feel!

maddiesparks Mon 25-Jul-16 19:46:47

It's certainly a whiny stage around that time! DS 3 who is now 20 months seemed to do nothing but whine from about 8months to his first birthday. I remember feeling so exhausted by it all. A combination of teething and their little digestive systems developing around this time is probably the culprit. Sorry you are having a rough time - it will get better X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now