4 mo development check

(14 Posts)
Pandasandmonkeys Wed 27-Feb-13 21:04:16

I had my HV come and check my 4 mo DS development today as he's been quite poorly and a couple of drs suggested I get him checked out. DS is my first baby so I didn't know what to expect. But the HV said his fine motor skills were poor because he couldn't pick up a raisin. Should a baby so young be able to do this? He can hold and pick up rattles and soft toys no problem. But something as small (and Uninteresting!) as a raisin?

RedKites Wed 27-Feb-13 21:24:40

I thought developing a pincer grip was normally around seven or eight months?

Flisspaps Wed 27-Feb-13 21:27:45

Pincer grip is around 8 months, yes.

Your HV sounds barmy.

Pandasandmonkeys Wed 27-Feb-13 21:29:02

I thought it would be alot later than 4 months. I've just been reading online that the skill starts developing around 6 months but isn't perfected till around 8 months

JollyYellowGiant Wed 27-Feb-13 21:30:23

Strange. I agree 8 months ish. Most, if not all, babies starting Baby Led Weaning at 6mos dont have pincer grip.

Pandasandmonkeys Wed 27-Feb-13 21:32:06

She is abit! Her bag of toys was the dullest set of stuff I have ever seen. She wondered why he didn't respond to a tiny plain white rattle that hardly made any sound then was surprised by his delight when we used one of his own toys instead!

MiaowTheCat Wed 27-Feb-13 22:31:15

I was always under the impression pincer grip was about 9/10 months - certainly my (slightly developmentally delayed) 10 month old is onto a curly finger halfway house between pincer and palmar grip at the moment. She's effing bonkers if she expects a 4 month old to go into raptures and try to pick up a raisin!

No 4 month checks here - 6 weeks and then anywhere between 9 months and a year.

Pandasandmonkeys Wed 27-Feb-13 22:42:38

I requested the check up as he has been very poorly in and off since birth and a couple of drs suggested I should get him checked out. Thankfully he was on track in all other areas smile I'm glad to see you all thing her expectation of a 4 mo is bonkers too!

mamapants Thu 28-Feb-13 22:40:23

My HV said pincer grip is one of the checks at the 8mth check and not a big deal if they can't do it at that point.

mummy2benji Fri 01-Mar-13 09:45:40

Hi I'm a GP and I certainly wouldn't expect a 4mo baby to be able to pick up a raisin! The comments above are right re pincer grip coming later. My dd2 is 18 weeks and certainly couldn't pick up a raisin. And why would I give her one to try to pick up when she'd put it in her mouth and choke on it! Don't worry at all. Lots of illnesses may set him back a little in terms of feeding and weight but shouldn't cause him problems in the long run. Poor dd has had bronchiolitis (in hospital for a week over Christmas), norovirus and several colds thanks to ds1 bringing bugs home from school. I am trying to think of it all as just building up her immune system!

Where do they get these people?!

I had took it upon myself to teach one basic statistics regarding the sodding growth charts. I think I am That Woman now but I hate the way they talk to me, like I'm a child myself. Ugh.

DD hasn't quite got a pincer grip yet and she's 9 months. Actually, your DS sounds a bit more advanced than she was smile

Pandasandmonkeys Sat 02-Mar-13 02:16:15

Thanks everyone. I spoke to some other mums at baby groups this week and they all said the same - a ridiculous expectation of a 4 mo. she's coming back to check him again at the end of April so I will challenge it with her then. I was also a bit shocked that she expected him to respond to his name at this age? A sound, yes, but his name? I'm sure that's much older than four months?!

Pandasandmonkeys Sat 02-Mar-13 02:21:44

Thanks everyone. I spoke to some other mums at baby groups this week and they all said the same - a ridiculous expectation of a 4 mo. she's coming back to check him again at the end of April so I will challenge it with her then. I was also a bit shocked that she expected him to respond to his name at this age? A sound, yes, but his name? I'm sure that's much older than four months?!

Wow, she must have been using the 8 month development checklist, that's madness for a 4 month old!
DD was pretty advanced at her pincer grip and could pick up a raisin at about 6 months, not 4! Think DD was about 7 or 8 months for responding to her name as well confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now