What should I call the vagina?

(113 Posts)
Mrsapea Sun 30-Dec-12 10:55:00

Dear all

I have a 3 year old boy and a 3 week old little girl. My little boy is very helpful and likes to pass me the nappies when changing. As is normal with kids he talks about his little sister and her body; during a nappy change he asked me why she didn't have a willy and what she did have. I told him it was called a "front bottom" but that adults call it a "vagina". Both these explanation sound either silly or too anatomical.

What would you guys recommend I call it?
Many thanks
Mrsapea

Me too perchance. My focus has been on trying to persuade 2yo dd that she doesn't have a willy like her brothers. Now that she's starting to accept she has a fanny, I'm quite worried that other parents will think she's using the equivalent of cunt which, to me, is a nasty and very strong swear word.

lolalotta Mon 31-Dec-12 13:57:52

I didn't realise that "fanny" wasn't/ isn't considered crude in some parts of the country! I would be really shocked if I heard a toddler using this term!

ILoveSaladReallyIDo Mon 31-Dec-12 14:24:21

"bits" sound dismissive and almost violent to me
can't describe it properly but it sounds negative and belittling, I cringe whenever I hear anyone teach this to their children, particularly girls!
The other names I like or dislike, but "bits" are the only ones I think are outright wrong. Anyone know what I mean?

DancesWithWoolEnPointe Mon 31-Dec-12 14:31:09

we have lady bits - I find it harmless.

ILoveSaladReallyIDo Mon 31-Dec-12 14:32:39

well it sounds like giblets to me

We all have vaginas and penises in our house. Can't stand twee/silly names.

DancesWithWoolEnPointe Mon 31-Dec-12 14:35:41

Oh and I picked up vajayjay off Grey's anatomy. I quite like it, but think its too adult for my DDs as yet (oldest is 9 and is still very happy with lady bits)

MrsSham Mon 31-Dec-12 14:55:51

Admittedly have been known to say gibs or giblets myself grin

Gingersnap88 Mon 31-Dec-12 17:10:01

I certainly wouldn't use "front bottom", to me that makes it sound dirty / unpleasant. Bottoms are for pooing surely.
We use vulva / vagina and lady/ girl bits (also boy bits) alongside penis, willy and balls.

Although to be fair I was kicked out of nursery for correcting a little boy when he told me that I had a "front bottom".

Gingersnap88 Mon 31-Dec-12 17:11:37

Oh and my DSS used to use "Mary" buy u soon put a stop to that grin

ArkadyRose Mon 31-Dec-12 17:12:34

I can't stand "vajayjay" - when I hear someone use it I get this urge to slap them. Preferably with a full-sized OED.

wrigglerstea Mon 31-Dec-12 20:49:57

As a follow up to my post above about Wriggler noticing her Dad's penis for the first time; today be was getting dressed and she told him that he needed to make sore he put pants on "to cover up his wooly"! So she was listening...

Ffs, bits sounds violent and dismissive?? Wha? I don't know how you reached that conclusion but it's a bit odd. confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now