Book ideas for a sixteen-month-old?

(28 Posts)
stopgap Sat 22-Dec-12 03:55:22

My DS is absolutely obsessed with books and has me reading about 20 a day. His current favourites are "Moon Rabbit", "Room on the Broom" and "Peace at Last". Can anyone recommend books of a similar length and content? I just ordered another Julia Donaldson book (Tabby McTat) but it's too grown-up.

JassyRadlett Sat 05-Jan-13 22:59:00

My 15mo book nut is obsessed with What the Ladybird Heard, Dear Zoo and Oh Dear because of the animals, I think. He got Monkey Puzzle and Stick Man for Christmas which are both great and similar length. He also enjoys the That's Not My... books, Postman Bear and Fox's Socks and Giraffes Can't Dance.

AnaYorks Sat 05-Jan-13 20:10:48

Room on the Broom was Molly's first book - so, assuming similar taste...

YYY for Hairy Mclairy, Gruffalo (and Child), Each Peach, Whatever Next, Hungry Caterpillar and Peace at Last.

I'd also recommend some of the shorter Shirley Hughes books - Chatting, Bouncing, Giving and Hiding are all favourites here. Highway Rat is another good Julia Donaldson one, but maybe a bit long? What the Ladybird Heard is shorter. I'd also recommend Bear in a Cave - the sequel to Bear Hunt - and We Love Bunk Beds. Some of the Dr Seuss books are good - although you might not get through the whole book - Green Eggs and Ham has been popular here since Molly was tiny because of the repetition (even if it took two instalments to get to the end).

Overwhelmedmummy Fri 04-Jan-13 15:30:10

One Mole Digging A Hole, One Ted Falls Out Of Bed and Don't Wake The Bear, Hare are on continuous repeat at the moment. One Mole being the favourite - at various points in the day my dd stops what she's doing, gets the book and shouts Mole, Mole, Mole til one of us reads it to her. As well as any of the That's Not My... Books.

CitizenOscar Wed 26-Dec-12 21:58:45

Tiger who came to tea
Whatever next & Peace at last
Bear hunt
Oliver Jeffers books
Guess how much I love you
Not now Bernard
Dear Zoo
Hungry caterpillar
Lulu loves stories
Each peach pear plum

MulledVodkaAndXmasMincePies Wed 26-Dec-12 19:52:04

Suddenly DD has added Mrs Pirate and Beans on Toast to her list of must have books. These are books she has stolen off her big brother (4)!
Forget all the new ones she received yesterday (Hippos Go Berserk, Peter Rabbit to name just couple), she wants Mrs Ruddy Pirate and her packet of tea on repeat.

inadreamworld Wed 26-Dec-12 19:46:15

Touchy feely books, flap books and the 'Thats not my....' series are what my DD loves. She is 20 months. Is always shouting 'a book, a book, a book!' In fact book was one of her first words (even before mama)

Whiteshoes Wed 26-Dec-12 16:49:55

Whoops. Sorry for double post.

Whiteshoes Wed 26-Dec-12 16:49:24

Nickel, they are exactly the books my 19 month old loves. She also loves the Mog books and the Tiger who came to tea. She quite likes the Peppa books. Oh and Little Stinker about a fish with wind. Charming.

DD likes Sandra Boynton, particularly Hippos Go Beserk and Moo, Baa, La La La.

Whiteshoes Wed 26-Dec-12 11:14:02

Nickel, they are exactly the books my 19 month old loves. She also loves the Mog books and the Tiger who came to tea. She quite likes the Peppa books. Oh and Little Stinker about a fish with wind. Charming.

nickelbabylyinginamanger Wed 26-Dec-12 11:04:26

ooh yes goodnight moon is lovely smile

LittleBallOfFur Wed 26-Dec-12 09:03:07

DS liked a book called Goodnight Moon, it's quite retro but there's a lot to point out in the room, simple words/rhymes.

DeathMetalMum Wed 26-Dec-12 08:58:07

Dd likes the pip and posy books by Alex Scheffler, not quite as long as room on the broom etc but still good story.

nickelbabylyinginamanger Mon 24-Dec-12 10:38:31

Vodka smile

I love books.

Last night, DD's book of choice was the Book of Common Prayer - not one I'd normally recommend to a toddler.... wink

have to say, her favourite books at the moment are the ones where you press a button and it makes a noise. any noise is seemingly great, but she goes for Pirate Pete's Potty book on her own (she seeks it out). it makes a cheer when you press the button.
and there's a version of the Very Hungry Caterpillar where its button makes a sound of the caterpillar walking along. (ish)

Welovecouscous Sun 23-Dec-12 21:13:47

One mole digging a hole is the current fave here! smile

Also:

Rabbits nap
The gruffalo book of colours
Rainbow peekaboo

MulledVodkaAndXmasMincePies Sun 23-Dec-12 21:09:16

Oh good Nickel found this thread. I wanted to mention her in my post as the go to person, but at that time of day my brain wasn't really functioning.

DomesticGoddess31 Sun 23-Dec-12 19:08:35

oooh and she's getting Stick Man for xmas (because I love reading that one smile

DomesticGoddess31 Sun 23-Dec-12 19:07:52

My 18mth DD loves:
Millies Amazing Garden
Gruffalo
What the Ladybird Heard
Fox's Socks
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Peepo
Monkey & Me

nickelbabylyinginamanger Sat 22-Dec-12 13:05:49

shorter stories and ones that repeat a lot are good:

the old lady who swallowed a fly
Toddle Waddle
Tiddler

and touchy feely - ladybird does a good range of fairytales

also, Meg and Mog (they also come in board book format)

lift-the-flap ones like Rod Campbell (buster series, Dear Zoo etc)

wibbly pig is good.

as are the ladybird noisy peekaboo series - Toot toot, baa baa etc - they've got flaps in and you have to find a lost <something> on each page - when you fins it, the flap makes a noise.

DD does a weekly recommendation page on the shop website, so if you want to know about it, i can give you the details by PM if you like. (all books are personally vetted by DD - if she's bored, they don't go on!)

<that was a stealth boast wink>

HoratiaLovesBabyJesus Sat 22-Dec-12 12:53:43

Usborne feely books are a hit here - That's Not My... or the standalone. He is a bit older at 20m but at a similar literary stage by the sounds of things.

Otherwise,
Bear Hunt
Squash and a Squeeze
Sharing a Shell
Gruffalo / Gruffalo's Child

Books, Dear Zoo is his fabourite.
Dd was entranced by Where the Wild Things Are illustrations, also likes Owl Babies.
I like reading them My Cat Likes To Hide in Boxes and I found a great little book called Little Bee.
All 15mo.

My Ds only loves flap b

yawningbear Sat 22-Dec-12 08:07:49

DD loved the maisy mouse books at around that age, we had one that had four stories in it that we read endlessly, also Peepo is lovely and definitely all the Hairy 's , they are fabulous. Also 'say hello to the baby animals' or something similiar.

pingulingo Sat 22-Dec-12 05:37:41

My 15month DS loves any of the That's Not My... Series and his very favourite book is Dig Dig Diggers - lots of tractors, dump trucks etc. I'm hoping he developes a new fav at Xmas as I've read that book endlessly for the last few months! I can now read it to him from across the room whilst he turns the pages as I know it off by heart.

MulledVodkaAndXmasMincePies Sat 22-Dec-12 04:18:02

That should be DS

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now